• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Daedalus » February 16th, 2015, 6:01 am

As for figures, the general consensus was proxy them with Reaper Bones, Games Workshop, etc. Some have called for minitures made by Inn members, but nobody has committed to this task. Finally, it was suggested early on that paper minis be made for new monsters. Again, no one has yet committed to this.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Big Bene » February 16th, 2015, 7:48 am

Gold Bearer wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Current suggestions are "Swamp Magic" or "Bog Magic" - Feel free to pitch in!
Marsh Magic?

I havn't read the whole thread, so this may be olde...
In olde-er Warhammer publications, fog is very important to Fimir. They produce a magical fog that allways sourrounds them and gives them some powers (perhaps they even need it, don't quite remember).
I don't know if you intend to make the HQ25 Fimir true to the Warhammer background. I would not. But if you do, the fog theme should be included.
I'd rule that they normally only produce it in the open, not in dungeons (perhaps they use it to shield them from the sun).
But they still can work magic based on fog. Would probably make for some interesting spells, plus for a better name.
Fog magic or
Mist magic
sound more ... well, magic, to me than the swamp related names.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » February 16th, 2015, 7:56 am

Daedalus wrote:As for figures, the general consensus was proxy them with Reaper Bones, Games Workshop, etc. Some have called for minitures made by Inn members, but nobody has committed to this task. Finally, it was suggested early on that paper minis be made for new monsters. Again, no one has yet committed to this.

Is there already a definite list of creatures?
There are a few modelers in here (including myself, not that I see me as one of the best).
But modelling includes quite some work (at least for me, more experienced sculptors may be faster), and other than writing a text, you can hardl leave it for other inn members to complete if you run out of hobby time.
So, speaking for myself, I would be willing to contribute, but my time is very limited, and I would have to know exactly what is needed before I can make a decision.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » February 16th, 2015, 7:52 pm

I was thinking of some swampy outdoor tiles, and some interior tiles with sludge and slime. After looking at tiles from other games, the outdoor ones are all too green and verdant for a swamp. I'll see if I can motivate myself to open open of the old GIMP and edit some images myself...
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 17th, 2015, 3:25 am

Big Bene wrote:Is there already a definite list of creatures?

Yes. It's one of the things we actually nailed pretty early:

* Kobold
* Basilisk
* Chaos dwarf
* Minotaur
* Beastman
* Chaos Cultist

gootchute wrote:I was thinking of some swampy outdoor tiles, and some interior tiles with sludge and slime. After looking at tiles from other games, the outdoor ones are all too green and verdant for a swamp. I'll see if I can motivate myself to open open of the old GIMP and edit some images myself...

Actually it's been bugging me as well for a while how to do swamps.
I don't think it's realistic to cover the entire board in tiles to make it look like a swamp. For tiles I think we should keep them few and essential:
We need a deadly bog? Ok, then we make one to fit a room for that.
Swamp Hag needs a den. Sure.

But not 15 different tiles with generic swamp. The players will just have to imagine the board is a swamp for those particular levels.
That's my view on tiles at least. |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » February 17th, 2015, 4:45 am

Goblin-King wrote:Yes. It's one of the things we actually nailed pretty early:

* Kobold
* Basilisk
* Chaos dwarf
* Minotaur
* Beastman
* Chaos Cultist

Is there a heroes list, too?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » February 17th, 2015, 8:44 am

Big Bene wrote:Is there a heroes list, too?

That was never discussed at all, so the default answer is "Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf and Wizard". In theory we could add rules for a 5th type of Hero, but then we would have to all agree on that Hero and collectively give him or her a ruleset.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » February 17th, 2015, 10:11 am

Count Mohawk wrote:That was never discussed at all, so the default answer is "Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf and Wizard". In theory we could add rules for a 5th type of Hero, but then we would have to all agree on that Hero and collectively give him or her a ruleset.

Well, then the original figures will be used, or perhaps the nice resculpts Ampersand did at Zealot's? Or is there a demand for special "HQ25" heroes?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MrBigB » February 17th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Seems like all previous discussions have revolved around the idea of just the original 4 characters, which personally I'm a pretty big fan of. Kind of an homage to the original game we are celebrating.
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 23rd, 2015, 7:20 pm

I compiled two indices composed of links for reference of this topic. The first index includes the spell posts. This post, the second, includes all relevant HQ 25 monsters with stats, ability suggestions, and comments (sometimes you need to read down a post for relevant info.) A single bolded entry, the Chaos Dwarf, is from the six officially-chosen HQ 25 monsters. Underlined entries are general monster types that contain subtypes. Italicized entries are monsters from the Main Game System. Though many entries don't qualify as one of the six agreed-upon monsters, I included them anyway for completeness as they may inspire other uses in the expansion.

Why bother? My aim is to provide an efficient and logical means for understanding what the community has presented as a whole. This monster index works as a companion to the monster indices found in the Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack topic, the Chaos and Reptillians posts of the 3. HQ25 - Choose your monsters + stats topic, the 1. Choose your monsters for the 25th Quest Pack topic, the HQ25 - The great TO-DO list topic, and the HQ25 Petrify Spell Card topic. Now that all the monster threads are covered, I plan to create a poll for each of the six chosen HQ 25 monsters that includes choices matched up to the relevant monster links. Also, supplemental polls can be created to handle the more lengthy choices for monster abilities. With these tools, Inn members can weigh in and make known their preferences to help create an expansion that we all want to see. Editors will reserve the right to make adjustments, as per the Design Document.

Chaos

Reptillian

Undead

Greenskins

Miscillaneous

UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming