• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 5. HQ25 - Spells, tiles, mechanics and misc

Postby Gold Bearer » July 19th, 2014, 3:10 pm

It is the most complicated spell as it stands. What about without the combat dice roll?

Fever
This spell will inflict a terrible fever upon a target in sight. They roll one less defence dice, one less attack dice and move at half their standard rate or rolled score (rounding up). A character with fever rolls a standard dice at the start of their turn and fights off the effects if they roll under their current number of mind points. Any any non undead/Nurgle/swamp based characters who start their turn adjacent (including diagonally adjacent) to character with the fever are also infected if they fail to roll under their current number of mind points. The effects of Cloud Of Flies, Pestilence and Nurgles Rot are not cumulative with each other but are cumulative with Fever.

I just like the idea of it being able to spread. It could used to infect monsters.

I can't get heroscribe to work at all now. Ater trying the addon pack again and then deleting it and moving the original folder back it won't run. It just comes up with the unzip box, so I uninstalled it, downloaded it again and reinstalled it and the same thing happens! This is so frustrating. I've given up for the day, I'll try a system restore tomorrow to see if that works. Is this because I'm using XP?
Last edited by Daedalus on February 11th, 2015, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » July 19th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Before you try messing with windows, check the HS topic, I had similar issues. I posted my solution. There is a step by step troubleshooter as well.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 20th, 2014, 5:25 am

Got it working!!! :) Cheers. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 12th, 2015, 12:26 am

I liked some of the earlier spell suggestions, and decided to work them up a bit differently as Swamp Spells. First, I have a redo of Baylor_OgreBane's Will-'O-Whisp spell incorporating Goblin-King's suggestion.

Will-'o-wisp
Gaseous balls of energy appear, sparking
maliciously. This spell may be cast on any
one monster, including the caster. That
monster may roll two extra combat dice
when defending. The spell is broken when
the monster suffers 1 Body Point of
damage. [edited]

Second, there is Gold Bearer's Swamp Zombies and Marsh Skeletons mashed up with Summon Undead. Fimir in a Swamp could use a summoning spell, but Summon Undead is already a Chaos Spell.

Swamp Summons
This spell conjures up a group of putrid
undead to attack the caster's enemies.
(Swamp Skeletons and Zombies have 1
extra Body Point. Place them adjacent to
the caster.) Roll one red die:
Roll 1 or 2 = 3 Skeletons
Roll 3 or 4 = 2 Skeletons, 1 Zombie
Roll 5 or 6 = 3 Skeletons, 2 Zombies

Third, I worked up Baylor_OgreBane's Tangling Weeds suggestion with elements of MrBigB's Creeping Snare and Dewayne Agin's Slime. Slime belongs with Dewayne Agin's Fimir Spells and should be left out of the Swamp Spell Cards, but a movement restricter works great thematically.

Tangling Vines
This spell may be cast to ensnare one Hero
in tangling roots and vines. That Hero may
not move and rolls one less combat die to
defend. The spell can be broken on a
future turn by the Hero rolling one red die
for each of his Body Points. If a 6 is rolled,
the spell ends. An adjacent Hero may also
roll to end the spell using a special action.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 12th, 2015, 1:04 am

I've compiled an index composed of links for reference of this thread. It includes all relevant HQ 25 spell posts including spell names and descriptions, suggestions, and comments (sometimes you need to read down a post for relevant info.) Bolded entries are from Count Mowhawk's selection of revised spells found in the HQ25 - The great TO-DO list topic. Though many entries didn't make it on his list, I included them anyway for completeness as they may inspire other uses in the expansion.

Why bother? My aim is to provide an efficient and logical means for understanding what the community has presented as a whole. A few relevant posts from the Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack topic are included for completeness. [-edit] From here, renewed discussion may follow and polls can be created with just the relevant spell links included between them so that all Inn members can have the opportunity for an informed, equal say in choosing the final form of each of the HQ 25 spells. Editors will reserve the right to make adjustments, as per the Design Document.

Last edited by Daedalus on October 15th, 2017, 7:03 am, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: tag, added links
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » February 12th, 2015, 2:58 am

Daedalus wrote:I liked some of the earlier spell suggestions, and decided to work them up a bit differently as Swamp Spells. First, I have a redo of Baylor_OgreBane's Will-'O-Whisp spell incorporating Goblin-King's suggestion.

Will-'o-wisp
Gaseous balls of energy appear, sparking
maliciously. This spell may be cast on any
one Hero, including yourself. That Hero
may roll two extra combat dice when
defending. The spell is broken when the
Hero suffers 1 Body Point of damage.

Second, there is Gold Bearer's Swamp Zombies and Marsh Skeletons mashed up with Summon Undead. Fimir in a Swamp could use a summoning spell, but Summon Undead is already a Chaos Spell.

Swamp Summons
This spell conjures up a group of putrid
undead to attack the caster's enemies.
(Swamp Skeletons and Zombies have 1
extra Body Point. Place them adjacent to
the caster.) Roll one red die:
Roll 1 or 2 = 3 Skeletons
Roll 3 or 4 = 2 Skeletons, 1 Zombie
Roll 5 or 6 = 3 Skeletons, 2 Zombies

Third, I worked up Baylor_OgreBane's Tangling Weeds suggestion with elements of MrBigB's Creeping Snare and Dewayne Agin's Slime. Slime belongs with Dewayne Agin's Fimir Spells and should be left out of the Swamp Spell Cards, but a movement restricter works great thematically.

Tangling Vines
This spell may be cast to ensnare one Hero
in tangling vines and roots. That Hero may
not move and rolls one less combat die to
defend. The spell can be broken on a
future turn by the Hero rolling one red die
for each of his Body Points. If a 6 is rolled,
the spell ends. An adjacent Hero may also
roll to end the spell as a special action.

These are AWESOME. Very clean, concise, and themed very well for a swamp deck. |_P
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » February 15th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Tiles.

What is the consensus on overlay tile use in HQ25?

a) As long as it is in HeroScribe it is fair game. (this includes other games such as the D&D Adventure Game)
b) As long as it is available on the Inn it is fair game. (only tiles in the download section may be used)
c) No tile overlays.
d) Only use tile overlays you provide original artwork for.

I prefer option one, as I'd like to use a couple of tiles form the D&D boardgame in my quests, which are available in the image gallery.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 15th, 2015, 11:40 pm

I's say option d. Feels most like a quest pack that way to me - and frankly I'd say definitely not a.
I'm not really comfortable with pulling in materials from other games.

But what kind of tile do you need in particular? Maybe we can get it made.
Personally I'd actually like to see a couple of new overlays.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » February 15th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Is there anyway we can get this as a put together as a complete pack with the tiles and monsters and cards all professionaly done? Or did I miss that somewhere I'd totally be in on this!
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » February 16th, 2015, 12:17 am

mako-heart wrote:Is there anyway we can get this as a put together as a complete pack with the tiles and monsters and cards all professionaly done? Or did I miss that somewhere I'd totally be in on this!

I believe the plan is to put together all the required art and package all of that together. Jury's out re: monster figures, though. In any case, the bulk of the remaining mechanical work is the Quests themselves, which we only have 6 out of 25 in various stages of completion.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming