• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Teldurn » December 16th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I can understand folks not wanting Morcar/Zargon as a final boss character. But what's the rationale or reasoning behind not wanting a dragon?

knightkrawler wrote:I am both against a dragon and Morcar himself being used in a quest pack.

What I'd like is a Morcar impostor, or a body possessed by him. Maybe Morcar took over Skulmar's body.
A huge chaos champion I imagine.

As an aside, having a Morcar impostor would be pretty sweet, indeed. But how to handle that might get tricky.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tag
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » December 16th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Teldurn wrote:I can understand folks not wanting Morcar/Zargon as a final boss character. But what's the rationale or reasoning behind not wanting a dragon?

Here are stats in relation to a very strong boss character as roughly established by different stats:
Move: 8 squares --> Dragon: custom board, because its base is AT LEAST 2x2 inches, the whole mini probably covers much more without figures fitting on adjacent squares (that's just from looking at my own dragons)
Mind: 6 --> Dragon: what, 8? Or 10? Not really important.
Body: 5 --> Dragon: There we go. How many BP if a human being character has 5. 12? 15? More?
Attack: 5 --> Dragon: Oh well. Breath attack (which I would do as an action free "spell"), 2 regular attacks with what? 8, 9 dice?
Defend: 5 --> Dragon: 10? I don't know...
Plus special rules. Flight? Fiery Breath?
Plus a spell deck of 6. Or more? As a drgon he won't likely have to concentrate or gesture, so all attacks PLUS one spell per turn...

Point is: The step from opponents heroes are used to is way too big - or, if you prefer, the dragon will be perceived, at least by me, too weak for the iconic character he should be.

Maybe it should be a Dragon hatchling. But I don't see any fun in that.

Teldurn wrote:As an aside, having a Morcar impostor would be pretty sweet, indeed. But how to handle that might get tricky.

In the penultimate quest, the heroes defeat the impostor and see a greenish cloud of smoke fuming out of the dead, now crumbling body. They hear laughter, very hushed, but very evil and menacing.
After the quest, they wake up in the same room (last quest, now), but all monsters undefeated are activated, as well a random number (roll a die or something) of monsters flooding the dungeon from all four corners. Or something. Way ahead of time to be specific here, but that's an outline I could imagine.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » December 16th, 2013, 1:53 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Teldurn wrote:I can understand folks not wanting Morcar/Zargon as a final boss character. But what's the rationale or reasoning behind not wanting a dragon?

Here are stats in relation to a very strong boss character as roughly established by different stats:
Move: 8 squares --> Dragon: custom board, because its base is AT LEAST 2x2 inches, the whole mini probably covers much more without figures fitting on adjacent squares (that's just from looking at my own dragons)
Body: 5 --> Dragon: There we go. How many BP if a human being character has 5. 12? 15? More?
Attack: 5 --> Dragon: Oh well. Breath attack (which I would do as an action free "spell"), 2 regular attacks with what? 8, 9 dice?
Plus a spell deck of 6. Or more? As a drgon he won't likely have to concentrate or gesture, so all attacks PLUS one spell per turn...

Point is: The step from opponents heroes are used to is way too big - or, if you prefer, the dragon will be perceived, at least by me, too weak for the iconic character he should be.

Thank you so much. That is an excellent explanation! Breaking it down like that really brings out the power difference, which I had not considered before.

So, taking that into account, how about we stat out something that a final boss would/should have, and then fit an appropriate character or archetype to it instead? It would be reverse engineering the boss.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 16th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Simultaneously, it has to be roughly considered which equipment when can be have and by whom, what artifacts, how much money, which difficult levels...
Is the 25 quest goal agreed upon? If so, I'd spread the difficulties wave like, also several boss monsters (say, after 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 quests roughly) that climb in strength among themselves.

Come to think of that all, more than one monster theme can be pried in there without too much effort.
Like, 5 quests kobolds, boss monster kobold Dragonpriest (spellcaster),
7 quests Fimir, boss monster Fimir shaman, 1 or two champions before him,
3 quests Skaven, boss monster Grey Seer,
and so on and so on,
all themes having a shared plot to reveal itself gradually.

The Great Objective:
Tracking down and killing the Dragon Hatchling awakened by the Kobold Wyrmcult, who will be the only living thing with an essence strong enough to hold the soul and skillset of an ageing and withering Morcar, who is on the search himself, but also sending an impostor to distract from the Wyrmling's actual whereabouts.

That's a brainstorm on cheese and rucola.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jackyboy » December 16th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Dragon would be gteat!!!

What with the Hobbit movie just coming out a Dragon would be well timed and I for one would love the idea of going up against a dragon! Just wish my Dragon figure from Talisman 3rd Edition survived the 20years Ive had it :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

:)

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Balinor » December 18th, 2013, 6:22 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Come to think of that all, more than one monster theme can be pried in there without too much effort.

and so on and so on,
all themes having a shared plot to reveal itself gradually.

I think if you read my post a few pages back you will see this is exactly the idea I was trying to imply.

Having interconnected but seperate dungeon areas would allow for most of the popular monster themes being discussed in this thread to be used. As well as sub-bosses, required artifacts needed to advance further in the quest chain and a BBEG or group of them for the climatic ending.
Balinor

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Balinor » December 18th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Teldurn wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:

Thank you so much. That is an excellent explanation! Breaking it down like that really brings out the power difference, which I had not considered before.

So, taking that into account, how about we stat out something that a final boss would/should have, and then fit an appropriate character or archetype to it instead? It would be reverse engineering the boss.

I agree that a Dragon with multiple attacks, breath weapons and spells <- Dungeons and Dragons style would and should be way to powerful for standard Heroquest characters with standard gear to defeat.

That being said, Dragons have many times been interpreted in many different ways, sometimes without spells or magic abilities. During a turn a dragon could be limited to physical attacks or breath weapons but not both, imagine the damn thing burning its tail as it whips it around to attack while a jet of flame is hitting the same general area. It could also be limited to how many times it uses it's breath weapon and/or have it's breath weapon do damage based on its current health, which is another popular way it's handled in rpgs.

Also, I see no reason nor do I believe that we should stick to the basic equipment listed in the box set. There is no reason in a 25 quest adventure not to increase the items and strength of the items in the Armory. Better armor, better weapons, magic shields and potions that work against flame attacks, etc.

If we are going to make a whole new set of quest lets add content to the game overall. Otherwise it isn't really a unique and wonderful achievement in the big picture. New monsters, new spells, new equipment things that make people want to spend the time and money on downloading and printing.
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balinor

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » December 18th, 2013, 11:15 pm

I'm still for time travel.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » December 19th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Patroclus wrote:
Sotiris wrote:If we kill Morcar what will be next?
When our children try to design the 50th anniversary pack, by whom will be led all these tiny monsters?
Put a dragon with 30 body points but not Morcar..

The dragon is a very good idea!... What about, each 10 points of damage the dragon is raised from the ground flying for a full round and let the heroes have their buffs. And the heroes should have a ring of full healing, that needs a full round to activate and is functioning only in this room. The attack of the dragon could be a breath of fire that does 5 Attack each round. One of the heroes should have one magical shield that reduces the fire damage to 3 attack dices for himself only. And the wizard should have a staff of lightning that does 3 Attack per round for 10 charges...

I think the combat will go like this:
1. Get in the room, adjacent to the dragon, do the hit
2. Take the damage in Zargon's turn
3. You are adjacent, so hit the dragon again then go out of the room if your movement is enough

The archers will have more possibilities to get out of the room when they do a hit, because they don't have to be adjacent, and probably will stand very close to the door.

I think it's a very good encounter for a final boss. And needs 3 artifacts... A shield, a staff, and a ring of full healing... About the dragon, for those who don't have any miniature of dragon they can use the gargoyle.

About the dragon or any other final boss we should give the stats to have some playtesting and the artifacts (artifacts because it has to make it look possible to play against a dragon). I have also written a small battle report and I suggest you to do the same for your ideas.
Barbarian: 3/4/8 (broadsword/chainmail/helm/dragonic shield(artifact that reduces the breath of fire to 3Atk))
Dwarf: 4/3/7 (battle axe/chainmail(I should put fullplate but the D6 wasn’t enough to get him out of the room or in the room each round)/helm)
Elf: 3/4/6 (crossbow/borins armor(or a new artifact of 4 Defense?)/helm)
Wizard: 2/2/4 (staff of lightning 3 range atk(10 charges)/no armor)
Dragon: 5/5/30/6Mind (below 20 and bellow 10 Body he fly for 1 full round, he can’t do or suffer any damage during flying, just leave some time for rebuffs)

Central room:
Round 1) Dragon-4Body=26/Wizard casts 2 spells
Round 2) Dragon-6Body=20/Elf can’t go out but he saves the dmg/Wizard casts 2 spells
Round 3) Dragon-2Body=18/Dwarf can’t reach to hit, he stays out/Wizard 10-1=9 charges
Round 4) Dragon= Fly/all gets out of the room/Wizard casts courage
Round 5) Dragon-3Body=15/Wizard casts sleep versus 6 Mind and succeeds!
Round 6) Dragon-6Body=9/Dwarf can’t go out but he saves the dmg/ Wizard 9-1=8 charges
Round 7) Dragon= Fly/all out, no need for buffs
Round 8) Dragon-2Body=7/Barbarian can’t reach to hit, he stays out/Dwarf-1Body=6/Wizard 8-1=7 charges, Wizard-2Body=2
Round 9) Dragon-3Body=4/all gets out of the room/Wizard heals himself Body=4
Round 10) Dragon-1Body=3/Wizard 7-1=6 charges, Wizard-1Body=3
Round 11) Dragon-2Body=1/Dwarf can’t go out but he saves the dmg/Wizard 6-1=5 charges
Round 12) Dragon-1Body=dead.

I know you can’t understand exactly the battle, but as you can see it’s not that bad against a monster of 30 Body and a massive aoe of 5Atck against all players in line of sight. Of course I was lucky and I save tons of damage… My wizard didn’t died and he was hitting each round with his stuff for 3 attack dices and only uses 5 of his 10 charges (I think I could do it 5 charges and not 10… it’s too much). Also, the dragon could have 6 Attack power (it should have kill at least one hero), because the fact that he can’t go out of the room is a great benefit for the players… They saved one full turn of zargon (when the movement score was enough)...

ps: I remove the ring of full healing... each player should have enough healing potions for the last battle
Last edited by Daedalus on February 6th, 2015, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 19th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Balinor wrote:I think if you read my post a few pages back you will see this is exactly the idea I was trying to imply.

I'm not very attentive these days. However,
for one thing, it helps to double post ideas to get them into the thickheaded nerdminds of the people that frequent this here forum,
and on the other hand we're two. So we must be geniuseseseses or at least have had the right idea.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming