• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily

Tips and tricks about sculpting.

Re: [Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily

Postby Pitbullsandaks » March 24th, 2015, 9:58 pm

So has anyone tried this yet with the caulk?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Pitbullsandaks

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » March 25th, 2015, 3:54 am

Well, I can't check the video, as Youtube doesn't work here at work, but I've made many silicone molds and may add a few comments when I've got more time.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » March 25th, 2015, 5:37 am

OK, just finished a lecture I had to do this morning, then found a computer with working Youtube :mrgreen:

I realised now that the point of this tutorial is to use silicone caulk (the kind that comes in cartridges and is used to make your shower waterproof) as opposed to two-component silicone.
Pitbullsandaks wrote:So has anyone tried this yet with the caulk?
I've tried something similar bevore, but it all ended up in a mess of sausage-like structures. The girl in the tutorial avoided this by kneading the silicone in the water bowl, which is indeed a great idea.

But all in all, I would say that this is not a
[Tutorial] Making a silicone mold easily
but a
[Tutorial] Making a silicone mold cheaply.

Mixing a two-component silicone and pouring it into a correctly made form seems easier to me than the process shown in the tutorial. But (and given the prices of two-component silicone, this is a big but) silicone caulk is much cheaper, and the tutorial could come in really handy, expecially for casting big parts.
On the other hand, I would advise everyone who wants to get into casting to think twice. This kind of silicone is not meant for casting. It is OK for plaster, but it certainly will not withstand the heat of molten pewter, and may even react with the chemicals of resin.
roomandu wrote:lego is another good option to make a silicon mould container.
This!
Lego (or a similar block system) is ideal. You can make the form the exact size you need, you can easily remove the finished mould by simply breaking up the lego, plus you can reuse it.
chaoticprime wrote:I have found the most important step to this is that you stir the two-parts that make up the compound adequetaly enough.
I don't get you - the whole point here is that you don't use the two-part compound.
But speaking of tw-component silicone, I have to say my experiences are different. The correct amount of hardener is important and I also found that the hardener component doesn't age well - if it is too old, it can ruin the whole result. But I found that it pretty much diffuses through the whole mass, even if it is not stirred up at all.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Sculpting