• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spraying primer or gloss--condo/apartment setting

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Spraying primer or gloss--condo/apartment setting

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 22nd, 2019, 7:09 pm

I moved since I did my last full cycle of priming, painting, gloss/matte finish. My last apartment had a balcony, and I had no issues doing it outside.

My new place lacks any outside area I could spray paint and let things dry. I was thinking of doing it nearby in a park, but I'm worried it might be illegal or something.

I don't want to spray inside. Do y'all have tips of places I can take my minis to spray them? I'm thinking of abandoned parking garages but worry about police, since it seems illegal again.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spraying primer or gloss--condo/apartment setting

Postby Stig » October 23rd, 2019, 5:49 am

Nothing wrong with spraying outside! I'd recommend an upturned bucket with a slab of wood resting on top; the minis standing on top of that. Why not do it on the street in front of where you live, out of the way like in the drive or something? Priming doesn't take long - maybe do the 2 mins of shaking the can in the flat to avoid your neighbours thinking you're about to graffiti something. I can't imagine it would be illegal, but I don't know the law where you are. If you're open about what you're doing it won't be suspicious.

Graffiti is illegal, but I don't think you fall into that category.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » October 23rd, 2019, 9:49 am

It's generally only illegal if you aren't spraying your own stuff, so just make sure it doesn't get on the pavement. A large piece of cardboard works better than newspaper since it doesn't blow around as much in the wind.

You'll also want someway to stay outside with it for an hour or more, since they continue to release the solvent long after they are physically dry. Even after that you might want to leave them in a room with a window open or with a vent fan running, just to stop them stinking out your apartment.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » October 23rd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Sounds like I may just do them in the middle of the dead end street nearby or in the field next to the volleyball court across the street.

Last time I was drying them, I put them into a tied off plastic bag and let them finish in there, which kept the smell out of my place, after the initial drying.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Painting