• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potential HeroQuest minis?

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Potential HeroQuest minis?

Postby Kurgan » April 2nd, 2021, 4:05 pm

Maybe if I wasn't already drowning in minis... I have enough minis to run HQ any way I want to and every official quest release that has ever existed. I'm not trying to re-create Battlemasters here! If I was trying to paint them all in full color, whoa... I'd have years worth of work available to me right now! (I know, those guys painted a whole warhammer 40k army in 72 hours, supposedly, I guess you need a few friends and some airbrushes to get it done)

At best I think a couple of nice replacements for the Remake would be in order, but I probably will end up just 3d printing those (and giving the whole set away to a friend in the end). I wouldn't want to buy a $75-100 game just to throw it all out except for a handful of characters, even if those were really cool ones. If I were just getting started, maybe...

$125 doesn't seem like much, but for about $50 more you could own a complete vintage HQ GS (with all the minis that came with it) OR you could (probably) get KK & ROTWL complete on their own. If you're 3d printing, we're talking a few cents for each mini you could create from freely available STL files, using typical materials of course.

Now if these are in reaper bones style hard rubber that's probably the best ($3-5 in stores on average). Guessing they're not metal ($5-10 on average).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby arntisdale » April 2nd, 2021, 5:19 pm

lestodante wrote:28mm corresponds to the height from feet to eyes approssimatively. HeroQuest figures and old Citadel figures are 25-28mm but this doesn't mean they have the same proportions. Dragon Strike figures are also 28mm but if you check a DS Wizard, his whole hand is very small, corresponding to 2 fingers of the HQ wizard.
This happens because of the proportions, very different.
So, for me they will not match the HQ style.

That's a very good point. Especially when it comes to the heroes. These guys would probably look stick-skinny compared to our HQ guys.
On the flipside, such proportionality is easily excused for monsters, specially if you just repurpose them for whatever means you see fit, creating the monster card to accompany.

I do wonder how the skeleton archers would compare to our scythe-wielding buddies.

My monster armies are quite lacking, especially when it comes to archers, so for me, the number of archer monsters in series 2 is a plus.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby lestodante » April 2nd, 2021, 5:34 pm

HQ Skeletons are even bigger than the barbarian! If you notice their skull is bigger than anyone head.
They did their bones it so big and bold to prevent breakage I guess.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 2nd, 2021, 9:28 pm

Those must be the skeletons of some big guys... then again, maybe they're not from dead humans at all, but grown from Dragon's teeth? ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » April 4th, 2021, 1:48 am

lestodante wrote:
arntisdale wrote:It's 28 mm scale, I'm pretty sure that's what HeroQuest is...
...Would this stuff fit in with HeroQuest homebrew mods for different heroes, mercs and monsters?

28mm corresponds to the height from feet to eyes approssimatively. HeroQuest figures and old Citadel figures are 25-28mm but this doesn't mean they have the same proportions. Dragon Strike figures are also 28mm but if you check a DS Wizard, his whole hand is very small, corresponding to 2 fingers of the HQ wizard.
This happens because of the proportions, very different.
So, for me they will not match the HQ style.
A lot of companies and sculptors seems trying to emulate the HeroQuest style creating boardgames or figures pretending to be in some way HeroQuest related (although this is not declared) but if they don't pay attention to the proportions of the HQ figure they will not success unless you wish to replace all your minis. Even the figures from the Elf Quest Pack do not match the HQ proprtions (different sculptors).

Ohhh and yes, Half-Elf-Barbarian sounds a lot like Orc-Bard-Hero.... :?

At least half-elf is in the realm of possible. A dallyance or something more unpleasant resulting in a child more welcome among a tribe who would acknowledge blood kinship at least if the child fought well enough (and maybe if it stuck in the right person's craw that they did so.)

That said, yes, they do seem to be riding the modern D&D trend where you're playing some kind of non-traditional race in roles that don't have to make sense or you're basically a chump.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » April 13th, 2021, 10:05 pm

They're hero creation style is to pick any race and then pick an class, there's no limits on combos.

This thing is up to 200+ minis for $75 + shipping, some of them are pretty large too. The scenery pack also looks very usable in HQ.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » April 13th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Fine, I'll be the Half-Dwarf, Elven Barbarian who has trained in the Wizarding Arts. Is that cheating? Maybe not on a solo quest!

8 Body, 6 Mind, disarm traps (since half Dwarf, does that mean roll a skull instead of a black shield to fail?), 12 elemental spells. Starts with two swords and a dagger (dual wielding optional).

Actually, if someone wants to create a short, muscular Elf (pointy ears/nose and long beard) with a magical looking cloak, I'm game...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » April 16th, 2021, 10:01 am

Kurgan wrote:Fine, I'll be the Half-Dwarf, Elven Barbarian who has trained in the Wizarding Arts.

Funny you should mention that … Check Avalon Hill's latest update!

:skull: :skull: :skull:

I mean, they didn't do that or anything like it, but … they could've.

Guys?

:orc: :orc: :orc: :orc: :orc:
:orc: :orc: :dwarf: :orc: :orc:
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 16th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Kurgan wrote:Fine, I'll be the Half-Dwarf, Elven Barbarian who has trained in the Wizarding Arts. Is that cheating? Maybe not on a solo quest...

Wonder if you can play a musical instrument too... :lol:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Market