• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What's in an Alchemists Workshop?

Members requiring unique/custom artwork to complete their projects may request assistance from the Artists group within this forum.
Forum rules
Members: If a request requires specifics, please be as descriptive as possible. When your requests are filled, please edit the your first post and insert [Complete] at the beginning of the topic title.

Artists: If you are planning on filling a request, please make a post as soon as possible and let everyone else know your intentions. This will allow other Artists to focus on open requests.

What's in an Alchemists Workshop?

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 25th, 2015, 10:31 am

Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some advice/feedback on a project I'm working on. Basically, I'm designing an Alchemists (or Wizards) workshop and living quarters and I've come up with a fairly comprehensive list of what might be needed. I appreciate that its a longish list, but I'm looking for suggestions on what should be in an Alchemical Workshop (A Wealthy Alchemist mind you) and if I've covered the right stuff.
Thank you very much.
SA

1 x Alchemical Whatchamajigger, 4 x Mystical Diagram, 2 x Window A: Daytime Balcony View
2 x Window B: Nighttime Balcony View, 2 x Village far Below, 2 x face-on barrel closed, 2 x face on barrel open, 1 x Bookshelf A , 1 x Bookshelf B, 1 x Bookshelf C, 1 x Locked Bookshelf, 1 x Sealed Magically Bookshelf, 1 x Bottleshelf A, 1 x Bottleshelf B, 1 x Bottleshelf C, 1 x Snake Skeleton Stand, 1 x Brain in Jar, 4 x Display Case, 1 x Orrery, 1 x Telescope, 2 x Statuette, 2 x Mythic Taxidermy Animal

1 x Standing Alc Equipment A, 1 x Standing Alc Equipment B, 1 x Standing Alc Equipment C
1 x Standing Alc Equipment D, 2 x Curtained Grotto, 1 x Door A, 1 x Door B, 1 x Door C, 1 x Door D, 4 x Door E, 1 x Fireplace A, 1 x Fireplace B, 2 x Stained Glass Windows, 4 x Tapestry

4 x Paintings on Wall Section, 4 x Stone Pillars A, 4 x Stone Pillars B, 2 x Stone Pillars C, 6 x Barrel Lid A (chit), 6 x Barrel Lid B (chit), 6 x Barrel Lid C (chit)

2 x Dissection on Table *mat*, 1 x Tray of Eyeballs (chit), 2 x Cauldron (chit), 4 x Cast Iron Skillet (chit), 4 x Stacked Timber *mat*, 4 x Open Maps/Charts A (chit), 4 x Open Maps/Charts B (chit)
4 x Open Maps/Charts C (chit)

2 x Herbs on Table A (chit), 2 x Herbs on Table B (chit), 2 x Herbs on Table C (chit)
2 x Herbs on Table D (chit), 2 x Herbs on Table E (chit), 2 x Powders on Table A (chit)
2 x Powders on Table B (chit), 2 x Powders on Table C (chit), 1 x Butterfly Case (chit), 4 x Mushroom Tile, 4 x Open Pots/Containers (chit), 2 x Spilled Potion/Puddle (chit), 2 x Cracked Glass Beaker (chit)

6 x Open Bottles (chit), 2 x Stack of Pot Lids (chit), 4 x Stack of Labels (chit), 4 x Stack of papers (chit), 1 x Pig on Spit *mat*, 3 x Magical Portal, 2 x Bellows (chit), 2 x Blowpipe (chit), 1 x Ancient Board Game (chit), 12 x Treasure Chest (chit), 8 x Locked Strong Box (chit), 2 x Small Carpet Round A *mat*, 2 x Small Carpet Round B *mat*

Any other suggestions/feedback greatly appreciated - than k you.
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What's in an Alchemists Workshop?

Postby cynthialee » June 25th, 2015, 11:56 am

Things I have in my game for Magic Users that help in the cause:

Mystic Tuning Fork
This device will sound its frequency when in the proximity of a spell caster or spell effect.

Crystal Ball
Allows the caster to look into the Spirit world.

Beaker of Clarification
Much needed device for the preparation of potions. This beaker will settle out and clarify any liquid suspension put in the beaker.

Erlenmeyer Flask of Steady Pouring
This flask will only decant the exact amount of fluid that the mage desires. As many potions require exact measurements this item is a god send for our more clumsy wizard friends.

Encaged Fire Newt
This is a tiny fire elemental in a small box. The sides and bottom are asbestos lined and the top is an iron plate. Useful in the heating up of potion ingredients and occasionally food.

Encaged Ice Newt Box
This is a box that has inside of it an enslaved Ice Newt. This makes the inside of the box eternally cold and it is used to preserve ingredients for potions and the occasional partially eaten meal.

Mystic Forensic Kit
Allows a mage to discern the nature of a spell cast on a person or area. Also handy in tracking the location of other spell casters.

Mystic Furnace, Forge and Anvil: Small
These small items are used in the smelting and forging of small amounts of silver and mithril for the creation of magic talismans and charms.

Spell Check Stone
This boulder is useful in the testing of battle spells. The stone is enchanted to withstand any amount of physical damage from spells, but it glows when struck by such spells. The stronger the spell the stronger the glow.

Chalk
Useful in drawing out magic circles and sigils.

Small Pot Still
Useful in the preparation of potions, and the occasional libation when one entertains guests for the evening.

Mithril Tongs
These tongs allow a mage to handle safely small magic items that have powers that release on touch.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 25th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Oh I forgot to add:

Under the small cot, hidden under a pile of old Magister magazines is a small pile of Play Hobbit, and Troll Lover smut magazines.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » June 25th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Oh another thing I have had discovered in an Alchemists Lab

Partially complete work creating a D6 of some form of potion (usually heal potions) and the ingredients to make 1D6 various other potion types. All the Mage needs to do is pass a proper Mind check of some sort. I'd say make it hard. Roll Mind points and if the mage rolls a black shield they can complete the work. As for the other possible potions the Mage can roll Mind points and each Black Shield rolled indicates a potion properly created. The other possible potions are destroyed. After all our Wizard friend is a combat wizard, not a cloistered tower mage, thus such academic pursuits often escape him.
Of course creation of potions should require the Wizard to not move and his action is making potions. Each potion type he creates will take up the wizards full turn.
Perhaps if the Wizard rolls no black shields and nets 4 Skulls or more the wizard has Gated in some type of beastie....

Here is an item specific to the TT RPG my group plays, but the item is very easily converted to HeroQuest. It is not uncommon to find them in my games in various states of creation in a Mages Lab:

Breaker Talismans
A breaker talisman is a small piece of balsa wood about 1 inch by 2 inches that is inscribed with runes and sigils that trap a spell into the talisman and a score mark in the halfway mark. When a breaker is created the Wizard places the spell they wish to capture into the breaker on the table face up in front of them with a token that designates the spell is now a talisman. The wizard may give this item away or he may use it himself.
To activate the breaker talisman one simply breaks the talisman in half with the intent in mind to activate the spell inside. Although they are made of balsa wood, they will not break unless the spell with in is called forth and they are snapped in half with intent to do so. Breaker Talismans are subject to fire and acid damage, furthermore a strict EWP may require a breakage roll in situations when they normally would roll for destroyed potions and gear. Breaking a Breaker is a minor action that does not interfere with movement or action, however if a character has used a Breaker in their turn they may not use potions, scrolls or other breakers as only one minor action may be taken per turn of the hero or monster.

The creation of these talismans is a craft that not just any Wizard is capable of. The creation of Breaker Talismans requires the knowledge of the spell "Craft Breaker Talisman".
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 26th, 2015, 12:02 am

Hi cynthialee, thanks very much for your ideas! These will be very useful and I will add them to the list to turn into game tiles, thank you very much. (Inc. the magazines tucked under the bed that no-one is willing to own up to). While I am on the topic, do you have these items as printed game tiles showing a picture of them, or are they printed and detailed on standard cards? Also, are there any game tiles you'd like to be able to buy if you could? I'm a graphic designer and currently working on making hundreds of tables of food, bookshelves, shops, windows, doors, market stalls and so on to be used in RPG board games and any advice on what you'd like to see would be great. :) thank you.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 26th, 2015, 12:36 am

no I don't have tiles or cards for these items
:(
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 26th, 2015, 1:00 am

I'm putting together a new business making inexpensive sets of game tiles to really make the RPG boards pop, is there anything you'd like to see made into a game tile besides these?

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 26th, 2015, 10:41 am

well that is a totally different topic!

Yeah!
I want a bathroom tile set for a fantasy setting. Perhaps the water heater is an enslaved elemental...

A common bedroom, not a queens bedchamber.

Stores that are not just 'The General Store'.

Farm animals.

A pet shop.

A dainty dragon that is totally a city dweller.

A city dump.

A prison complex. (not just a castle with a dungeon)

Siege machines.

(I am sure I can come up with more...)
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby QorDaq » June 26th, 2015, 12:57 pm

sorcerersapprentice wrote:I'm putting together a new business making inexpensive sets of game tiles to really make the RPG boards pop, is there anything you'd like to see made into a game tile besides these?

That sounds interesting.

Are you planning to sell your creations in a digital format such as on Roll20 or in a PDF on RPG now or are you planning on selling your wares in a printed format where patrons order something that you print and send to them?

Or maybe you have your own website?
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 26th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Well cynthialee I don't see any of those posing me a problem. I appreciate the suggestions and I will complete them in the not too distant future. I especially love the City Dump, Prison, and Bathroom concepts. I am presently creating a 'starter kit' I suppose you'd call it - and am quite close to completing it, to be followed by a Market Bazaar and then I will start working on the suggestions yourself and others have been providing me. A bathroom set, city dump, prison, pet-shop are now on my list. When I get to room tiles (and I will) I'll make a siege engine. When I get further into my Market I will create farm animal chits.

As for stores that are not just the general store, I am more than halfway through completing 180 old world profession instant stores that enable a Quest Master to set up a city in minutes. I took a lot of inspiration from old English names for stores and advantage of the huge range of odd and surprising professions in which they indulged and my shops are legion.

----------

QorDaq, hi, thanks for the reply, to answer your question, no, I don't intend to sell them as electronic media but as printed cardboard decks of cards (with stands, stickers, chits, etc) which people can order from my store as pre-packed sets, or commission custom-designed variants or unique tiles to be designed.

Actually, I am presently building a website, it's still under construction, but I'd love to show you both what I'm working on - you can go to gametilewarehouse.com to see.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Artchive Requests