• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Nederlands/Dutch

We would like to have a version of Ye Olde Inn available in every language that HeroQuest was released in for fans of each language to enjoy. If you wish to assist us in this grand endeavour, respond in the appropriate section of this forum.

Re: Nederlands/Dutch

Postby Margrave » October 10th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Perfect!

You've got mail!
Margrave

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby TMU » October 10th, 2013, 3:56 pm

drathe wrote:drathe [at-sign] drathe [dot] com.

I just recently completed an OH book in Finnish that TMU translated. Doing another book will be fairly easy now that I have a template to work from.

Wich reminds me, I gotta get back to work!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 11th, 2013, 1:03 am

pm'd you with link to card templates. GL!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » October 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm

TMU wrote:
drathe wrote:drathe [at-sign] drathe [dot] com.

I just recently completed an OH book in Finnish that TMU translated. Doing another book will be fairly easy now that I have a template to work from.

Wich reminds me, I gotta get back to work!

Yes! You do! But... you're not the only one guilty of slacking. :?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » October 29th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Here's what I've done with the cards.

NL Chaos Bezwering
I know you triple-checked your text and I just copy/pasted it, but check the bottoms of the text in case the text went long and got cut off without me noticing. If everything checks out, I'll add them to the Nederlands Speelsysteem page.
It still feels strange not having that escape spell in there too. :? I understand the reason, but as a completionist the set feels incomplete to me.

Next up... Tegen de Gruwel Garde quest book.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Margrave » October 29th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Quite a coincidence, this... I was just about to ask how things were going :-D
Anyway, the cards look really good - just like the real thing! Nicely done and thanks for that!
As I understand, Zenithfleet already gave the original cards a once-over in order to make them more compatible with the easier European HQ version. I worked off of his version of the cards to create the Dutch translations, since Zenithfleet's logic made sense to me (as well as his reason not to include Escape).
Still, I understand and respect the completionist itch...
Therefore, I propose to create a second set of Chaos Spell translations, which are true to the original, including the Escape spel, and are not toned down for easier EU play. This leaves the DM the choice to use either set, and include the Escape spell, if need be.
Does this sound like a good solution to you? If so, I'll get to work on the second (original) set next!
I'll review the finalised cards again tomorrow and will provide my final feedback then.
Good luck on the AtOH booklet and don't hesitate to send me an email should you have any questions.

Cheers!
Margrave

Hero:

Postby drathe » October 29th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Margrave wrote:Still, I understand and respect the completionist itch...
Therefore, I propose to create a second set of Chaos Spell translations, which are true to the original, including the Escape spel, and are not toned down for easier EU play. This leaves the DM the choice to use either set, and include the Escape spell, if need be.
Does this sound like a good solution to you? If so, I'll get to work on the second (original) set next!
I'll review the finalised cards again tomorrow and will provide my final feedback then.
Good luck on the AtOH booklet and don't hesitate to send me an email should you have any questions.

Cheers!

I like your proposal. I will certainly post both versions for DMs to choose from.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » October 30th, 2013, 4:53 am

I'd certainly include Escape (Ontsnapping). Keep true to the original.
The cards are brilliant, and well translated! A shame there isn't a Dutch word for greenskins (or you'd have to use "groenhuiden" which is a bit weird).
I do think the cards are a tad too brown. My originals are near white, just a tad creamy coloured.

So, Ogre Horde = Gruwel Garde? I like the alliteration, but Gruwel is really an abomination, not an ogre. Why not simply use the word Oger? Or Menseneter (Maneater). Tegen de Menseneter Menigte is a bit awkward though.
Tegen de Oger Horde would sound fine to me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Margrave » October 30th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Hi Sjeng,

Concerning the Ogre Horde, I would agree with you, were it not for the fact that the expansion has been explicitly referenced as '(Tegen de) Gruwel Garde' at least once before, in the flavor text of 'De Magiërs van Morcar'.
In addition, HQ's sister game, Battlemasters / Ridderstrijd also translates Ogres as 'Gruwels'. Hence my choice to stick with what had apparently already been defined. It retains a sense of continuity, I think.
Margrave

Hero:

Postby Sjeng » October 30th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Aha I see. I guess Dutch people in the early 90's had no idea. Kobold is also strange. It was valid for goblins, but now that there are also kobolds in English, besides goblins, being 2 different monsters, it's kinda obsolete. Tolkien's goblins were translated into Aardmannen. Also weird in my opinion.
But there are many strange translations, as Elf in Dutch is also Elf, but a Fairy/Pixie is also an Elf in Dutch. Elf in Dutch even meant fairy before human sized elves were commonplace. And Gnomes in Dutch are Kabouters, tiny men with pointy red hats, like the garden gnome variety. Now that there are fantasy gnomes as well, there's no Dutch word for those either.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Homepage Translations