• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Environment

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: 3D Environment

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Saturday April 25th, 2020 8:26am

Wow...this keeps getting better and better! Cool soundeffects and atmoshphere and I love the mushshrooms! Unbelievable what you are creating there!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Dezziedc » Saturday April 25th, 2020 11:47pm

Weltenlaeufer wrote:Wow...this keeps getting better and better! Cool soundeffects and atmoshphere and I love the mushshrooms! Unbelievable what you are creating there!

Thanks Welt.

IF anybody has any suggestions as I go along, throw them my way.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Wednesday April 29th, 2020 8:54am

My only suggestion is to please finish this so we can play it because it looks AMAZING! I can hardly believe how awesome this is! I look forward to seeing it with Monsters!
My Quest Book Edits - In Progress
My Quest Locations - In Progress

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » Wednesday April 29th, 2020 8:22pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:My only suggestion is to please finish this so we can play it because it looks AMAZING! I can hardly believe how awesome this is! I look forward to seeing it with Monsters!

Thanks Spooky!!

Also, here's the character selection screen I've been working on:

Look familiar?

Need to work on the lighting to get it right. But after that I'll add my temporary characters so I can get the selection working...

UPDATED IMAGE:

Not a huge fan of the logo as it is - but I'll leave it there for the time being as it may look better once I add some buttons and selection options. May also continue to play around with the lighting as it's looking a bit too dark...
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Thursday April 30th, 2020 9:36am

I love that room.

You've actually inspired me. I'm working on a new Minecraft world and I'm trying to add some HeroQuest-inspired dungeons. I started last night on a version of Bastion of Chaos. I'm trying to do this one about as faithfully to the book as I can, though with 1-1 blocks and spaces, the rooms are pretty small and things have to be shifted a bit to account for extra spaces for walls. I'm fudging it a little bit by making some of the hallways into stairs so rooms can be on different levels and to account to a little bit of overlap. And I probably won't be able to do secret doors, traps, or monsters in the same way, so I'll have to play with that a bit. but it's cool and coming along nicely.

For the next one, I'll probably scale it up a bit and take more liberties in translating the map.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » Friday May 1st, 2020 12:07am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:I love that room.

You've actually inspired me. I'm working on a new Minecraft world and I'm trying to add some HeroQuest-inspired dungeons. I started last night on a version of Bastion of Chaos. I'm trying to do this one about as faithfully to the book as I can, though with 1-1 blocks and spaces, the rooms are pretty small and things have to be shifted a bit to account for extra spaces for walls. I'm fudging it a little bit by making some of the hallways into stairs so rooms can be on different levels and to account to a little bit of overlap. And I probably won't be able to do secret doors, traps, or monsters in the same way, so I'll have to play with that a bit. but it's cool and coming along nicely.

For the next one, I'll probably scale it up a bit and take more liberties in translating the map.

Would be interested to see how this turns out Spooky. Post some screenshots if you can.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Sunday May 3rd, 2020 12:19am

Just wanted to pose a couple of questions to the community here.

So as mentioned previously, I wanted to try and make the game as close to the board game as possible. However, as I’ve worked through it (and in particular the character creation screen that I’m currently working on), I’ve come to the realisation that certain mechanics need changing for a RPG computerised version to work and be somewhat interesting to the player. This means that the game itself may look slightly different; however the story, locations and general lore should still be able to be followed. It also means that I may have to take some liberties in these areas given the lore is not overly detailed or outlined. And that’s one of the great things about the original game – it allows the players to build their own stories and history around the game while still providing some loose direction and story.

So the first thing I need to look at is the characters themselves. Looking on this site, many people have built their own character cards and provided many different options outside of the original 4 characters. Doing a bit of research, it seems the characters were modelled off the early D&D structures – albeit a very limited version.

For me though, I see the Barbarian and the Wizard as classes and the Elf and Dwarf as races. So I wanted to expand on these and separate player characters into Races and Classes – particularly because the related Warhammer world talks about Dwarves and Elves as races. So I’ve separated the races into the following:

Races
Human Elf Dwarf

Next are the Classes. Translating the original 4 characters into classes you had Melee classes (Barbarian and Dwarf), Magic class (Wizard) and a type of Hybrid (Elf). So I’ve grouped the Classes into those Categories:

Class Categories
Melee Magic Hybrid

Lastly, I’ve provided what I think are valid Classes for each of the Race/Category combinations:

Combinations
Human Melee Barbarian
Magic Wizard
Hybrid Cleric
Elf Melee Warrior
Magic Druid
Hybrid Ranger
Dwarf Melee Berserker
Melee Hunter

The highlighted ones refer to what I believe the existing characters represent.

In the game, you will be able to select your Race and Class. So once you select your race, you will be limited to select a class based on the related options above (eg human can only select Barbarian, Wizard or Cleric).

My question to the guys on the forum here is, given the extensive work that people have done in expanding the game, do these seem like a relatable type expansion for the Base Game system that can be translated across to a computerized version? Obviously each class will be somewhat unique with weapons/armour/skills etc, so each of these will vary slightly from each other in game, but generally, the concepts will remain the same to the board game (ie, Wizard can’t wear the plate, certain players can’t use certain weapons etc).

All this means a lot more work for me obviously, but I do want to make sure that if I get this out there, it’s something that is interesting and enjoyable to play.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Monday May 4th, 2020 6:40am

I agree with your idea about different races and classes. What's the difference between Berserker and Hunter for the Dwarf, though, and can Dwarves not do magic? Otherwise, I think you've got some great ideas and nailed the original characters.

Dezziedc wrote:Would be interested to see how this turns out Spooky. Post some screenshots if you can.

You got it!

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » Monday May 4th, 2020 5:24pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:I agree with your idea about different races and classes. What's the difference between Berserker and Hunter for the Dwarf, though, and can Dwarves not do magic? Otherwise, I think you've got some great ideas and nailed the original characters.

Well my thoughts were that the Berserker is purely 2 handed Melee. Hits really hard but slowly, with the Defense a bit lower than the Warrior and Barbarian. The Hunter is more of a ranged/one handed melee type role - a bit quicker to attack given the weapon choices. Traditionally the Dwarves haven't been known for their magic, so at this stage I've left that out. However, in the event there is a need to include one, I've got a slot there to come up with an idea.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Wednesday May 6th, 2020 4:50pm

Quick update. Was playing around with the original character select screen based on the scene from the box. However it just wasn't doing it for me. So based on the Race breakdown I discussed above, I've decided to change the character select screen to more reflect each race starting point. It allows me to be a little more creative in the scene.

Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge