• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Environment

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: 3D Environment

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Friday March 13th, 2020 6:58am

That's a tough one. It was shared between MB and GW back in the day, and now there's another company who uses the name for some of their unrelated RPGs, so I don't know that anyone's totally sure.
My Quest Book Edits - In Progress
My Quest Locations - In Progress

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Dezziedc » Sunday March 15th, 2020 6:52pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:That's a tough one. It was shared between MB and GW back in the day, and now there's another company who uses the name for some of their unrelated RPGs, so I don't know that anyone's totally sure.

Thanks Spooky. I was just looking at it from a development point of view. If the work I am doing comes off, then I am imagining there might be a sticking point somewhere down the line if it is too close to HQ or called HQ. Not sure how closely they monitor this sort of thing or if they are even concerned about it at all.

I'm not planning on it being a turn based game like the others I've seen, but I want to stick to the story line and have the same types of monsters, characters. artifacts, spells etc as the game. Mechanics will be different given the plan will be to make it an online game with a number of new quests taking place in an open world that guide the players to each of the dungeons.

Am just thinking I might get thwarted before it gets anywhere. Of course this concern might be all for nothing. I'm doing it part time so it's taking a long time. It's not going to be a significantly polished game so it might be no concern at all even if I do end up finishing it.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Saturday March 21st, 2020 3:31am

Quick update image. The Maze in progress.

What's taking me so long is that I get distracted with other things I'm looking at. Like the networking, and player movement and object interactions. If I had've just focussed on the build, I would have been onto the second one by now.

Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Thursday March 26th, 2020 7:19am

Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Stig » Thursday March 26th, 2020 9:25am

Dezziedc wrote: I want to stick to the story line and have the same types of monsters, characters. artifacts, spells etc as the game.

This isn't a big sticking point as HQ is so vanilla noone owns the rights to a lot of it. So none of the Heroes/Monsters in the base game have any rights apart from perhaps Fimir and Chaos Warrior (which could just become a Dark Warrior). Nobody owns the rights to "skeleton", "goblin" etc. As long as you don't use the exact images on the cards/of the miniatures that's ok as they'll have copyright. Named characters (eg "Balor") can be just another name; and same with Artifacts.

I imagine there won't be a Quest Map in the computer game, so the similarity to the original Quests will be very low. Rescuing "Sir Ragar" can be rescuing someone else etc. And who knows - you might think of other Quests that would really work in a computer version - such as maybe going in one door and reappearing somewhere unexpected, such as a teleport trap.

And the videos look AMAZING - thank you for sharing and best of luck with the project!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie!
Stig

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » Thursday March 26th, 2020 6:05pm

Stig wrote:
Dezziedc wrote: I want to stick to the story line and have the same types of monsters, characters. artifacts, spells etc as the game.

This isn't a big sticking point as HQ is so vanilla noone owns the rights to a lot of it. So none of the Heroes/Monsters in the base game have any rights apart from perhaps Fimir and Chaos Warrior (which could just become a Dark Warrior). Nobody owns the rights to "skeleton", "goblin" etc. As long as you don't use the exact images on the cards/of the miniatures that's ok as they'll have copyright. Named characters (eg "Balor") can be just another name; and same with Artifacts.

I imagine there won't be a Quest Map in the computer game, so the similarity to the original Quests will be very low. Rescuing "Sir Ragar" can be rescuing someone else etc. And who knows - you might think of other Quests that would really work in a computer version - such as maybe going in one door and reappearing somewhere unexpected, such as a teleport trap.

And the videos look AMAZING - thank you for sharing and best of luck with the project!

Thanks Stig. You are right, the quest map won't be there and the actual game maps will be different (as you might be able to tell from the top down view of the work I've done on the first map). That one is at least similar and follows the map pattern somewhat but there are slight differences. Given "The Maze" is sort of an introductory map including some game basics, I've kept it similar to allow players to get the gist of the game. As for maps like the Rescue of Sir Ragnar and Lair of the Orc Lord, those sorts of maps I plan to build in something like a mountain cave or in a mountainous environment. I don't foresee them being the traditional modular design of the board game. The Ragnar and Orc Lord maps could even be combined into a single dungeon given they essentially take place in the same location.

And I hadn't thought about the Heroes/Monsters. I guess the Fimir and Chaos Warriors would be an issue due to Warhammer? I would try to get characters and monsters similar to the models, but I wouldn't be using the images from the cards etc. Changing names could be tough. Was hoping to keep it as close as possible to the game and follow the same path (albeit with some additional character quests in between).

I've got a fair way to go so I'll see how it pans out. I'll keep posting updates in here, but I'm also very conscious of making sure I don't give too much away. It's difficult when you want to run things by the community!!!
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Tuesday March 31st, 2020 11:49pm

Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Saturday April 18th, 2020 7:29am

OK guys, quick update. This is a WIP video. Most of the rooms for The Maze are done. There's a few glitches/bugs to iron out and I need to add monsters etc into the game. There's still a lot of work to do for the first dungeon, but it's coming along. I actually have secret doors included in here but I haven't shown them. And I want to change their interaction a bit before I'm done with it. Like I said, got a fair bit to do with The Maze but it is taking shape. It's a long video - just highlights some of the rooms and how this first one is coming along. It's been a huge learning curve and am making improvements as I go. It's been fun. Looking forward to starting the next one.

Last edited by Dezziedc on Saturday April 18th, 2020 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Dezziedc

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Saturday April 18th, 2020 8:19am

:o :o :o

Thats impressive! I wanna play this! :D

The music is killer too. I cannot wait to see more.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » Saturday April 25th, 2020 7:36am

Sound effect testing....

Dezziedc