• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Environment

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: 3D Environment

Postby Dezziedc » January 31st, 2020, 11:18 pm

Hey guys, short video of the above rooms with a basic character controller introduced. It give a bit of an idea on the scale and how it could look. I've just used a random character to get the video done. As mentioned in the first post, really keen to get a 3D artist to build the characters based on the miniatures from the game. But this will be a good way to test and see how we go. Once I'm down the line a way I start exploring options for character builds in more detail (unless someone sees this and wants to contribute!).

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Dezziedc » February 3rd, 2020, 7:52 am

Another test - this with lighting changes and door interaction

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 3rd, 2020, 12:13 pm

This looks so cool! I don't even know if you should be focusing on HeroQuest with this. Like, it's so good that maybe you should be working on creating an original game with this.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » February 3rd, 2020, 6:33 pm

:shock: :shock:

Epic! Can only imagine how cool a whole HQ game would be seeing how good this looks already!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » February 4th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:This looks so cool! I don't even know if you should be focusing on HeroQuest with this. Like, it's so good that maybe you should be working on creating an original game with this.

Yeah I know what you mean Spooky.

The big attraction for me basing it on HQ is that it is one of those games that has been a part of my life for so long. I played D&D prior to this but as I left school and got a job etc, time to allocate to long D&D sessions got shorter and shorter. But then HQ came out and it wasn't so complicated or involved that it required hours of prep and then not actually progressing. It was simple and fun - and playable with friends and family who never played D&D made it even more enjoyable. And it's stayed with me all these years and I've spent some time playing with my kids over the last few years too.

I started playing WoW not long after it came out so the idea of turning HQ into a similar style game was something that was always in the back of my mind from that point. Although I work in IT it's a big leap for me to step into development - and the game engines these days make it relatively easy if you can spend the time learning the code etc.

As mentioned previously, the difficulty will be transitioning into a playable PC game. It's not going to be as simple as the board game (not turn based, how do you manage multiple people in an environment etc). I also want to make it an external "open world" game. Given the original game doesn't extend to open world game play, this is a bit of a challenge and how to make it exciting and playable while still making sure the dungeons are challenging. There's a lot to it.

Anyway, I'm pretty motivated with it at the moment. I'll keep going and see how it turns out. As I get some new stuff added, I'll post it in here. So keep an eye out.
Weltenlaeufer wrote::shock: :shock:

Epic! Can only imagine how cool a whole HQ game would be seeing how good this looks already!

thanks Welt. yeah, it's pretty exciting for me too. I even get excited when I get a door animation working properly!!!!
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » February 16th, 2020, 6:25 am

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » March 9th, 2020, 12:34 am

Still working through the game and adding stuff - have been looking at the multiplayer aspect of it at the moment. Taking a bit of time to get my head around the mechanics.

What I did find though was another thread on the forums here talking about electronic games that reminded people of HQ. Some people were mentioning Arcane Quest. I downloaded a couple of versions of the game to try them out. The latest one (Legends I think it's called) was the style I was aiming for - except on a PC with multiple players and more open game play in the world environment. I didn't mind the style those developers were going for.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 9th, 2020, 7:33 am

Dezziedc wrote:Image

Wow, those stairway and the room below with the furniture looks amazing! This is gonna be great, love your project!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » March 10th, 2020, 4:02 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Wow, those stairway and the room below with the furniture looks amazing! This is gonna be great, love your project!

Thanks mate.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » March 12th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, does anyone know who owns the rights to Hero Quest? Is it still Milton Bradley?
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge