• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Weltenlaeufer's 3-D HeroQuest Board Project

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: W's 3-D Board Project

Postby Sparkymark » September 18th, 2020, 3:57 pm

I would go with the cracked floor tiles. Im a bit biased i know as thats what i used. But those fieldstone tiles could hinder movement as its kind of hard to see the joints.
Keep up the good work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Weltenlaeufer » October 24th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Thanks cornixt!

Thanks Sparky, your board is a huge inspiration! I love what you did, its a real piece of art! I gonna go with the crack floor tiles for the halls.

Short update: The plate arrived. Lesson: 8mm MDF plate is heavy as fraggle :lol: its not really an attractive option havin a heavy beast of a board like this around so I gotta go way thinner. New lockdown measures have kicked in here, so final casting binge is on the horizon.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 4th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Short winterupdate. So the final casting stretch loomed above me and I just couldnt work myelf up to do it, cause other projects looked like more fun atm. But I squeezed in two nights of casting here and there. I had to cast the last mold for the special room tiles 30 times total. I am down to 18 castings left so far.

Meanwhile I ordered a second mdf board, 5 mm thick 900 x 700. Still heavy as fraggle and too wide on the sides. So the last one will be it:

4mm x 64cm x 84cm wood!

Molds are lined up! Did 5 yesterday, 18 left. Final casting binge is gonna friggin finish this week!

(Note for anyone who wants to do this the last stretch of 30 castings is due to the fact that the one tile needed for the special room is only ONCE in the mold and I got that one last. I need it for the center room which has 30 tiles. I have the whole board together so far, its just that I wanted to take it to the next level). Cool thing is, that I am cranking out extra floor and walltiles like crazy because of this which I can use for later projects.

Last edited by Weltenlaeufer on January 4th, 2021, 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 4th, 2021, 10:02 pm

5 more today...13 left (countdown) :fimir: :fimir:

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 6th, 2021, 6:28 pm

BOOM!
I cranked out 13 x a 4 molds berserkerstyle in the last two days! And this finally concludes this crazy casting binge!! :mrgreen: |_P :fimir: I am pretty stoked, the vision slowly comes together, after such a long time. I remember when I saw the inspiration for this board years ago and it blew me away.

:D :D So this is roughly where I wanna go with the board. I am still considering going full on fieldstone hallways instead of cracked floors. I gonna lay out both options and then I gotta decide. I feel fieldstone for hallways and cracked floors for rooms makes a bit more sense and fieldstone halls give the board a more unifying frame. This one is the cracked floor option plus the extra added special rooms that took a fuckin eternity! :D I am glad I did it though cause I think the variety really adds to the overall feel of the board!

Let me know what you think! :)

Some tiles are still drying, hence the colordifference. |_P

Last edited by Weltenlaeufer on January 6th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Okay this is the follow up, I just HAD to lay out my favored option in addition to the one posted above! I keep coming back to this :lol: :lol:

I think this is gonna be it. I just love the fieldstonefloor halls, cause they go so well with the fieldstonewalls. They give this an even grittier dungeonfeel and add more depth! The topdown pictures dont really do it justice, its best seen from an angle or from the side because of the texture of the fieldstone tiles.

The small tiles that are on the floor at the wallsections break em up a little and I think I ll be able to differentiate the individual tiles even more with an extra wash or two along the tileborders. Also I gonna drybrush the walls lighter than the fieldstonefloors.

So this is the fieldstonehallway version! Let me know what you think! I am so stoked the casting is done! :goblin: |_P :mrgreen:

Next I gotta figure out whats the smartest way to paint this beast! :lol:

The small blank tiles that extend the walls will be replaced with the same ones I use on the outside hallways.

This next shot shows why I kinda like the fieldstonefloors for halls and cracked floor for rooms.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » January 7th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Very nice. The different style tiles for the rooms really makes a huge difference, making so many of the rooms feel very different to each other. It's going to look so good when painted.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » January 7th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Looks bloody awesome!

I like the fieldstone hallways but I feel as though the walls would need to change if that was the case. It might be just me but the 2 are very similar and tend to blend a bit.

But both options look really good. As cornixt said, will look awesome when painted!!!
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 9th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Thanks cornixt! :) I got so excited about the new rooms I ordered a set of a few precasted extra tiles for one more specialtile room from a guy who sells Hirtartstiles directly!

I finished priming all the walls today and the new mdf plate should arrive monday! It looks like the painting will go quicker than I thought, cause I gonna paint in batches. First I gonna paint the walls, then all hallway tiles then each room individually!

Thanks Dezz! :) Yeah I know what you mean with the walls but I think I gonna try to separate walls and floors via the paintjob. I gonna definitely drybrush the walls lighter than the floors. Cool thing is I gonna paint everything first, then lay it all out before I glue it all onto the board, so I can see how it comes together! Cant wait to paint!! |_P

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 10th, 2021, 12:22 am

Loving those extra spacer tiles... we don't want to be standing to close to corners.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge