• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ Card Maker

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

HQ Card Maker

Postby Patroclus » October 3rd, 2013, 2:58 pm

Based on the Card Text Project (you can find the latest xls file here: http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=1059) I've made a program to print cards (or custom cards) by downloading drathe's excel and load the data from it.

This is the version 3.0 of the program.

Now you can create tiles from images with exactly the size you want. So, if you want to make a tile from an image which is something like xxx.yyy pixels, you can upload it in the program by giving the image and the size you want in mm or inches.

To do that I've added a new sheet in the xls called "Tiles". If you want to print your tile you only have to put the file as "tile.jpg" in the "cards" folder and check the "Back Page" option. By choosing the "Tiles" package and by giving the size you want you can print it in your printer or exported to an image file as "ready to print". You should put the tiles one by one, but because in most cases you don't want to print too many, I choose to not put anything in that direction and complicate the things up.

If the tile you want to print is too large and can't fit in a single page (for example it is a board) the program will export a sequence of files in the “card” folder with the images separated and ready to print. After that just print all the images manually. Don’t use any “shrink” or “zoom to fit” option because the images are ready.
Caution wrote:To be 100% sure that the program you are using for printing will not put margins use pdf format and choose “None” at “Page Scaling”. The version 3.0 of the program exports the files to pdf automatically when you press "To File" button.

If you already have some of your cards to images you can go to mspaint and convert your cards to pdf by choosing the following settings and use the printer “Adobe PDF”:
after that you can open the pdf file and choose the following settings for printing:

I've also put a manual but I put some tooltips too (when you hover your mouse over the buttons), so you don't have to read it.

Also, If you want to export the cards as separate images(one image for each card), you can press the "Save As" button and choose the "*.jpgs" option.

Download the HQ Card(and Tile) Maker here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixrxy189cxplp74/HQ%20Card%20Maker.rar?dl=0 :barbarian:

I am posting the tutorial from an old post:

I’ve made a small tutorial for how to make cards. Sorry for the blur photos… Someone changed my camera settings… :shock:
At first we print a page from the program.
After that we do horizontal cuts by using a ruler and a hobby knife or whatever we have.
Our new card will look like this.
Bend the card in the middle.
Use a glue (liquid are the strongest) and do a rectangle and an X in the middle, to both sides. Leave a space around the rectangle or else the glue will spilled out doing a mess.
Take a page from a thick magazine or an advertizing brochure to have a feeling like the original cards, and put it like this.
Press it and cut it again…
You can use a clipper for round corners or do it with a scissor…
You can use card sleeves to protect your cards and it helps if you don’t glued your card well…
Have a nice game and some creative moments... |_P
Last edited by Patroclus on September 18th, 2014, 4:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ Card Maker

Postby Maike05 » October 4th, 2013, 8:18 am

Fantastic ! This is really cool, I hope to see interest and sharing of some good stuff ! by the way, did you add the possibility to print recto verso?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » October 4th, 2013, 8:29 am

Thanks Maike. For cards it’s possible for tiles is not. But if you want to print colorful tiles I think it’s better to print them in separate pages and glue them on a cardboard. I don’t want to put more code to the procedure that makes the “front” drawing because it is very complicated with all the orientation stuff and text labels.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 4th, 2013, 8:39 am

Thanks, Patroclus. One question, though... Why does it download so incredibly slowly (12 kB/s; 250 kB/s are possible with my connection).
Does it have to do with rapidshare and me not being a "member" or something like that?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » October 4th, 2013, 8:57 am

knightkrawler wrote:Thanks, Patroclus. One question, though... Why does it download so incredibly slowly (12 kB/s; 250 kB/s are possible with my connection).
Does it have to do with rapidshare and me not being a "member" or something like that?

I am also having some problems lately with rapidshare, but I am paying my account normally and as long as the file is uploaded I guess “they” have the problem.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Drekketh » January 31st, 2014, 7:36 am

Patroclus fantastic job! Αt least there are still some eagerness in Greeks for fantasy games.
Bravo Φίλε!
Drekketh

Postby Patroclus » January 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm

Drekketh wrote:Patroclus fantastic job! Αt least there are still some eagerness in Greeks for fantasy games.
Bravo Φίλε!

Thanks Drekketh, the bravo goes to all of us who are still keeping the “dream” alive. Though the fantasy games are like the “secret of steel” (from Conan, the film) that goes from father to son these days (“thanks” to the new gaming industry who prefer to sell digital pleasure), I am happy to see that we are many. And if I had more free time I could do and share more… It’s not only for me and the forum, but I don’t want to see my children got hooked in front of a pc (or a tablet?) trying for hours to take a level. And this is not only about playing. It’s about art, inspiration, friendship, music, literature, education, everything… I could talk for hours about this, even if my English does not help, but the fact is that the high fantasy is an oasis in a cruel world.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby JasonMCM » March 2nd, 2014, 7:49 am

I am trying to use this to make a Spell Scroll card, but due to my lack of skillz am unable to get the subtitle where it belongs (actually I am unable to get the subtitle to appear at all.)
HELP!!!!
If I am just being a noob please include many funny jokes while telling me the easy way to do what I am failing at.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » March 2nd, 2014, 12:18 pm

JasonMCM wrote:I am trying to use this to make a Spell Scroll card, but due to my lack of skillz am unable to get the subtitle where it belongs (actually I am unable to get the subtitle to appear at all.)
HELP!!!!
If I am just being a noob please include many funny jokes while telling me the easy way to do what I am failing at.

No, it’s not your fault. It’s tricky… But there are more details in the manual… You have to put the subtitle as title in the excel, but in parentheses. I will try to update all the spell scroll cards, so try to download the excel again in one or two days, or you can do it yourself in your local excel file, as bellow:
Last edited by Patroclus on June 1st, 2014, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby JasonMCM » March 3rd, 2014, 1:53 am

You are my hero!
Not only for answering my question but for making all the awesome HQ tools.
Many Thanks!
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Project Forge