• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spells used in Sotiris Game

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

Re: Spells used in Sotiris Game

Postby Sotiris » January 18th, 2016, 5:21 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Edit:
I've thought of something that could be very interesting for mesmerism. The caster has to keep mesmorised monsters in his line of sight. Either at the end of each turn or always. Maybe the EWP could break the spell if the mesmorised monster isn't in the caster's LOS at the end of the EWP turn.

This spell needs a change on its duration, nothing else. My suggestion: subtract 1 point from the wizard's total for each turn he controls the monster.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » January 18th, 2016, 5:40 am

There's quite a few options. I'll have a think about it and finalise the spells before the end of the quest and then see what you think.

We could use your suggestion from now on in the current quest, you changed future sight on the fly to allow Jari to break command so it's only fair.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 18th, 2016, 5:53 am

Gold Bearer wrote:We could use your suggestion from now on in the current quest, you changed future sight on the fly to allow Jari to break command so it's only fair.

No problem, let's try it.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 18th, 2016, 5:57 am

I might owe a slight apology to Anderas. I thought this:
Anderas wrote:So no dice rolling or hidden spells.
was a comment about Sotiris' game. I got as far as reading that bit and then stopped because I didn't like the tone.

But this:
Anderas wrote:So no dice rolling or hidden spells. Then I would be forced to add monsters worth of 8 or 10 BP to my quest to equalize. That's about the amount of Monsters of the entire Rescue sir Ragnar quest.
is ridiculous! It's just as likely that a spell will fail and possibly be lost as well and there's the outside chance of loosing all my spells every time he casts, whereas the wizard you're using obviously IS OP! The dice rolling makes him unreliable, it's totally a double edged sword that if anything, is more of a weakness than a strength. It certainly doesn't overpower him. The hidden spells are a bonus but not in a major way.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 18th, 2016, 10:23 am

Apologies accepted.
I wouldn't want random spells if they are so strong. If they are roughly the same strength then I wouldn't care.

My calculation was simply: average ogre 4, 2x wall 4: needs to be reflected in the quest somewhere.

If you agree to a time limit on mesmerize, you give the borrowed BP back and the issue immediately disappears. It's quite simple in the end.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 18th, 2016, 11:06 am

Not all the spells are strong though, they're quite mixed and they're random. Overall they are stronger than the standard spells though. Mesmerism is the strongest, Psonic Blast is the weakest. It was handy this time because I combined it with mesmerism.

The WoM spells are weaker than the standard spells and I'll use the standard WoM spells (I mean the real standard EU ones) next time if it's alright with Sotiris because I want to test him with the spells the way they are in my rules. I honestly think the arch wizard is underpowered, I've been very lucky with the casting rolls so far but he can seem overpowered with lucking casting rolls. Just imagine that it had been the reverse though and I got one failed spell, one that failed and I lost the spell and one cast as normal.

We've already settled on modification for mesmerism for this quest, my dice roll is reduced by one each turn.

Anderas wrote:...you give the borrowed BP back...
Are you talking about the MP I took from the fimir with psonic blast? If it's alright with Sotiris I would like to take that spell back now the rules for mesmerism have changed, I wouldn't have cast it with the new rules in case we meet another ogre. Sotiris knowing about that spell doesn't affect anything, I'm going to use it straight away if we meet another ogre so he won't have a chance to do anything about it. I don't mind if he wants to leave it as cast and gone though.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 18th, 2016, 12:42 pm

No not MP but BP. I was writing BP.

This is not about a certain situation. It's about overall balancing. I think Sotiris' solution is already very good in fact!

In total, the Monsters of a quest can remove, let's say, 20 BP from the Hero Group. Why? Because I designed a Quest that way, for example.
The standard Hero Group has a total of 8+6+4+7 = 25 Body Points and 8 BP from Healing Spells = 33 Body Points.

So the entire group will survive the quest with 13 BP left (33 start minus 20 damage from the quest) distributed somehow among them. Minus the damage from 2 or 3 wandering monsters. ok? (of course, if you roll good, the group will survive with less BP and vice versa; and if you manage to kill the Wizard first, they lose the Healing spells hence more of them have a change of dying.... here you are, strategical target! :) )

With mesmerize unlimited, if you meet a Ogre with 4BP, you can add him to your group, changing the group stats to 37 Body Points for the rest of the Quest. The group, if it is losing the Ogre during the quest, will survive with 17 BP left instead 13. That's what i'm talking about. It's like a walking, fighting potion of healing.

With mesmerize limited to 3 or 4 turns (or even 5 or 6 turns... the detail doesn't matter as long as it is limited at all), you finally give the Ogre's BP back to Morcar, so you do not change the group stats in total. With a time limit (any time limit, random or not), this spell can be one of the favorite candidates for another spell set of mine.

Of course! The spell is still good, and that's (of course!) absolutely ok because it should (of course!) be good; otherwise you wouldn't take it. An Ogre fighting for you is really nice! But through the Mesmerize-End mechanism it is at least not like a potion of healing for the Group.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 18th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Oh you mean a 4BP/6MP wizard? No, this wizard definitely needs to be 3BP/7MP. All my 'special' wizards are and it conveniently matches Sotiris' system as well.

Mesmerism is very effective against ogres, so is psonic blast. I wasn't thinking of ogres when I did them but there's not going to be many quests with really tough 1MP monsters.

I get what you're tying to to with working out the balancing for quests based on total BP and the rest of it, but it's just not possible because it's never that simple. There's far too many variables to consider. You can get a rough idea as a guide but it can't be applied to everything.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 18th, 2016, 3:02 pm

You're right it's not exact. A 20 BP Quest will cause something, anything, between 14 and 26 BP of damage.... that is a huge difference of course.

Nevertheless, the play by post game we had with me being morcar, you remember? that one was one BP away from the calculated value. :D It plays better than you'd think. We can give it another try if you want. You take a standard group, three of them equipped with 400 gold coins start money (NA System Armoury), you tell me what difficulty you'd like to see, i prepare a quest and we'll find out if it's close or not. :)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » January 18th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Yea I'm up for it if we get at least one other player, it's better with at least two hero players.

Can I use custom heroes? Nothing fancy or it will upset the test. I'd like to try one of my mancers.

I like it challenging but doable, if the other player/s agree of course.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room