• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Experiment

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

Re: The Experiment

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday February 24th, 2015 6:28pm

Anderas wrote:Normally you shall reroll without knowing the result of the defense!
So if i quote a post with an attack with a reroll i shall see:
Attack dice:1
Reroll dice 2
Defense dice: 3.

There it stops. The defender may decide as soon as he sees the result to reroll one dice, and then he does it directly without waiting, himself.
That would work in a normal game but not really in a p-b-p. I'll give you an example to show you what I mean.

1. A monster attacks a hero and wounds him.

2. A second monster attacks the same hero and kills him.

3. A third monster attacks and wounds a second hero.

4. The player of the hero that was wounded but not killed sees the dice and decides to reroll one.

5. The player of the killed hero also rerolls a dice and the hero didn't die after all.

6. Now the third monster would have attacked the first hero who's almost dead.

You could say that the monsters attacks have to stand but I'd hate that as a gm and what if the third monster now can't get to the second hero because the first hero is blocking him? Also what if the other three heroes have all taken their turns and the the player of the dead hero wants to reroll, that a lot that's happened since and the first three heroes actions might change if the fourth hero is alive. Or what of some or all of the heros have taken their turn and the you see that your favourite pet has died and reroll to save him?

The only way I can see it working is if we say during our turn that we want to reroll if it's needed when we're attacked so that the attacker does it and the turn order isn't disrupted.

Anderas wrote:I added three lines for "throwing weapons" in the starting post:
Throwing Weapons: Each and every weapon can be thrown. However, if it is not extra made for throwing, it is more difficult: Roll one dice. If it shows a skull, the weapon hits. If it shows something else, the weapon misses.
If it is thrown "effective", it does its nominal damage up to a maximum of 3 attack dices.
However, you have to have the nominal attack dice x 2 in Body points for this attack to be fully effective. If the thrown weapon is "not effective", it does one dice of damage only.
Are thrown weapons still lost?

Anderas wrote:The Gladiator, after a little thinking, can have the wait-for-an-enemy ability but only with some conditions. The updated Gladiator would look like that:

Gladiator
Race: Human. Class: Gladiator. Equipment: Nothing. Gold: 200

Basic Skill:
You are able to give up your attacking action and movement to be on guard if no enemy is adjacent to you, allowing you a free melee attack out of turn as soon as an enemy is in reach.

Veteran Skill:
You get a free attack out of turn against an adjacent enemy that moves to a non-adjacent square if they were within reach before they moved, which you can use to make a melee attack or to throw a weapon.
However, for this you have to give away one reroll and the action of your next turn.

You are unwilling to use any ranged weapons but your still able to throw weapons.
The way that's worded there I wouldn't get the second skill until I became a veteran and then I'd lose the ability to use ranged weapons, but you didn't mention any kind of progression rules and I don't think heroes should lose abilities as they progress even if it's compensate for a new skill. Besides, I'd never use that guard skill the way it is now, there'd be no point because I'd have to give up both movement and a definite attack in exchange for no movement and an attack that can be easily avoided. I suppose if I couldn't reach a monster it might be handy. But that skill isn't anywhere close to as good as the barbarians extra combat dice with every attack.

The other skill is pointless too because if he loses his next attack then he hasn't gained anything, although it could be used to protect other heroes. If you're not happy with one of my heroes then just say so and I'll go for another one instead. I do think his skills might make him a bit overpowered now that I think about them (that's why I wanted to try them out) but I'd much rather find one you're happy with they way it is than use one that's nothing like what I intended.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 2:59am

For your first point - You're right. I think this bug would arrive only if someone would die, could be saved by rerolls and deblocks a movement path by dying.
The effect of the bug is time loss - half a day maybe.
In 90% of the cases it shall impact Monsters only. If a hero dies, or the top boss Monster, we could invest the additional time, i think.
So this bug is solved by saying: Morcar might not use his reroll for the defense of a common monster.
Thanks for this annotation!

Thrown weapons are not lost. However, they might lose some resell value and can be picked up by anyone of the same size. :)u

For your gladiator: I would allow his waiting attack not if he moves before. This could give him the ability to move and block a doorway without risking anything. This is too much in favor of a tactic that shall be avoided at all cost.
However, we could talk giving him at least his action. That way he could search for treasure and be protected from wandering monsters at the same time; which is rather good. (and was the reason i didn't want him to have the action in the first place). This is comparable with the dwarf - he also has 2/2 and one special ability.

The ability to have a second attack for free is inacceptable for a beginner. For me this kind of ability might appear any time as a veteran skill, but it is nothing for beginners. You can chose any of your selfmade heros, for beginners i will always remove any additional attack that comes for free; and for veterans I will add a cost.

In the end, any selfmade Hero will not be stronger than the dwarf. The Barbarian remains the strongest fighter - whereas I might add some Mind point tests. ;) .

There is a good reason i don't like multiple attacks. First, it is a very strong ability against multi BP Monsters, and i intend to use a lot of them rather than single BP Monsters. Second, i like to test rerolls, and if you have many attacks instead of less but stronger, it might take forever.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 8:18am

Anderas wrote:For your gladiator: I would allow his waiting attack not if he moves before. This could give him the ability to move and block a doorway without risking anything. This is too much in favor of a tactic that shall be avoided at all cost.
Anyone can block a doorway and he's still at risk of being attacked. It just means he can save his attack for the GM turn. A counter measure with the GM would be to send in a lesser monster first to draw the attack.

Anderas wrote:The ability to have a second attack for free is inacceptable for a beginner.
I've edited this to one attacked pur turn. I'm getting what I wanted just by taking and thinking about, who needs playtesting.

I'd like to use my sommoner if I can use her as she is:

Summoner
Race: Elf. Class: Summoner. Equipment: Sword.
Summoner.jpg
  • Spells: Necromancer spells (summoned and raised monsters defend with white shields), Displacement (custom spell) and two random Elf spells (that are hidden from the GM).
  • Displacement: Makes any two targets in sight (including the caster) swap places. If either the target occupy a different number of squares then there has to be enough empty squares for each to occupy at least one square that the other one did after they've swapped places.
  • You can use the same eqipment as the Wizard except you can also use pole-arms and one handed blades (axes don't count).

If you're okay with this one I'll spend my 200gp on bracers to give her two defence dice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 8:50am

*sigh*

No, not without changes please.
Spells are to be taken from GimmeYerGolds Hero Spells. You have the same choice like the wizard.

Apart from that do i like him. He could have 2 spell groups and something repeatable that i chose based on his spell groups.

Not the necromancy thing please. Think about the reroll bug/pbp bug.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 11:26am

No changes. That defeats the object of playtesting them. I've got tons of heroes, I'll just find one that you're happy with. :)

We could simply say that summoned monsters can't reroll, but if you don't want spells outside of those to be used I'll stay away from heroes that use spells other than the elements.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 12:08pm

Oh, storm wizard! I've been wanting to try out the combined spells for ages. Technically she does use new spells but they're all based on combining element spells together. The spells are more powerful than the standard ones of course but the downside is that you have to discard more than one spell to use them and she's got 3BP and a slow movement. I just hope she can survive long enough to cast some spells.

Storm Wizard
Race: Human. Class: Storm Wizard. Equipment: Staff.
Storm Wizard.jpg
  • Spells: Earth, Air, Fire and Water spells.

• You are able to cast Combined and Fully Merged spells.

• You are are only able to use equipment that the Wizard is able to use.

This would let Kitch try out a new spell set without worrying about healing spells.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 2:51pm

What are combined and fully merged spells?
Why doesn't she wear the Chainmail Bikini?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday February 25th, 2015 3:23pm

I completely forgot I added a crapload of new combined spells.

If you're okay with this one I'll just use the original six plus the merged ones. I might to that to the hero anyway as standard and add the others as veteran and above skills.

Check these out, definitely the best thing I've come up with for HQ.

Combined Spells

Fire & Air
Fire Of Wraith + Swift Wind = Backdraft
Fills any room or corridor on the board with intense flames causing a Fire Of Wraith attack on everybody individually, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

Fire + Water
Ball Of Flame + Vail Of Mist = Fire Spray
Fills any room or corridor in sight with flaming hot liquid vapour causing a Ball Of Flame attack on everybody individually, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

Fire + Earth
Courage + Rock Skin = Empowerment
Raises A and D by three each until the end of the targets next turn.

Air + Water
Genie + Sleep = Lullaby
Casts Sleep individually on everybody in any room or corridor on the board.

Air + Earth
Tempest + Pass Through Rock = Cyclone
Casts Tempest on everybody in any room or corridor on the board.

Water + Earth
Water Of Healing + Heal Body = Restoration
Fully restores BP and MP of the caster or a target in sight.

Fully Merged Spells

All three Fire spells = Inferno
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using three dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board, attack twice for targets vulnerable to fire.

All three Air spells = Typhoon
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using two dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board and causes them to miss a turn.

All three Water spells = Monsoon
Attacks in the same way as Fire Of Wraith and Ball Of Flame using one dice on everyone in any room or corridor on the board and causes them to miss two turns.

All three Earth spells = Quake
Causes everyone in any room or corridor on the board to miss three turns.

Anderas wrote:Why doesn't she wear the Chainmail Bikini?
No armour, bracers though. She'll need them.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Thursday February 26th, 2015 12:51am

Ok, why not! With 3 Body points you'd need an undead spell to survive more than one or two rooms.

Kitch, you are nevertheless free to chose whichever spell group you like, Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Light.

I think there's noone else coming; so if you have chosen your equipment and your spells we could start. Each of you get a bodyguard if you like - The standard dwarf and standard barbarian.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday February 26th, 2015 8:50am

Anderas wrote:Kitch, you are nevertheless free to chose whichever spell group you like, Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Light.
There's more than that. Star, darkness, cosmic and moon.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room