• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Solace and Redemption

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

Re: Solace and Redemption

Postby The Road Warrior » October 12th, 2014, 1:03 pm

:o Played like a true Slayer (I would have looked for a safe square out of range of the Fimir)

Fimir attacks:
The Road Warrior rolled 3 6-sided dice:
6, 2, 3

Slayer defends:
The Road Warrior rolled 1 6-sided dice:

Trollslayer
Body: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
Mind: :greenorb: :greenorb:
Attack: :skull: :skull:
Defence: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Movement: :roll5: :roll2:
Rage:
Equipment:
  • 10 gold

The Slayer finds an inglorious death at the hands of a common Fimir.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » October 12th, 2014, 2:33 pm

ARSE!

I didn't want him to get away, he could have lead me down a corridor with tons of monsters. I would have to have chased him to complete the quest.

I like your slayer and I think bad dice got the better of me, or more accurately, great dice from you. Having said that, I still think this is quite tough with his regular lack of defense.

I think he should have three attack dice on his stats and add a rage token after he attacks. That gives him the potential of an extra attack dice (a nice round ten when he's fully loaded) and it makes more sense for me anyway.

I'd like to try the quest again using my assassin if your're up for it. If you don't like the idea of having to face the icons in strange directions I'll use the wardancer instead, or your slayer again if you'd prefer. If I take one of mine I'll switch back to yours for the next quest and we could transfer transfer the items over if you want to play another one.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 12th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I like your slayer and I think bad dice got the better of me, or more accurately, great dice from you. Having said that, I still think this is quite tough with his regular lack of defense.

Yeah. I had an idea you wouldn't last long after those 2 goblins hit you for 4BP right at the beginning. But sometimes, well, *lemony goodness* like that happens! The flip side is that I have completed this quest with 7BP and an uneaten Stonebread. Unlucky dice rolls, treasure searches and bad decisions are really amplified for this Hero (and probably the fact it is a solo quest).

I'm glad you like him. He is definitely a difficult Hero to play and won't be to everyone's taste. If you hate your Hero dying and throw your toys out of the pram when you lose then this isn't the Hero for you!

Having said that, the more quests I write for him and the more playtesting I do, the more I like him. I pitted him against the Ogre from Eyes of Chaos this morning and the results were interesting and very, very varied. Can you imagine the frustration when you're at full rage and throw 5 dice thinking you're about to annihilate the monster in front of you and get :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :whiteshield: ? Then you realise that you can't defend against the monsters next attack. Intense!

Gold Bearer wrote:I'd like to try the quest again using my assassin if your're up for it. If you don't like the idea of having to face the icons in strange directions I'll use the wardancer instead.

Give me a week and I'll try and come up with a custom map that is specific to one of these characters ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 12th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Awesome! If you put in any items that were in this quest, even though I might not be able to use them, I could then hand them over to the troll slayer and carry on with the campaign if you want.

What did you think to my suggested change? It would only have an effect at full rage, which would be one higher. At the moment he's listed as having two attack dice but it's not possibke to attack with two.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 12th, 2014, 4:25 pm

It works. I'll think about it :)

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 15th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I think I might have cheated. I saw that I couldn't reach the fimir so I searched after I'd rolled the movement dice and then moved. Is that allowed?

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 15th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Some people allow it, other's don't. Either way it didn't make any difference to the outcome. What killed you was the dirty trick I pulled with the Fimir. If you had been able to attack him on your last turn you probably would have been ok as I've added a potion of healing to the treasure chest in that room. I think I'm going to change the position of the Fimiron the map so that the evil wizard can't pull that move.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » October 15th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I was disappointed at how badly this quest went for you so I decided to play through both quests I have written again just to check that they weren't impossible.

I finished this quest with 5BP, despite the fact that my first three treasure cards were 2 wandering monsters and a trap. I also collected 280 gold, more than enough to upgrade to the required level for quest 2. The Slayer was eventually killed by The Revenant in the final room of Quest 2. I completely forgot I was holding a Potion of Resilience and a potion of Healing so I probably should have completed that one too. You really were just very unlucky, but I think we already knew that.

Are the rules for your Wardancer the same as the ones we used in the Melee Tournament?

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 15th, 2014, 7:00 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:Some people allow it, other's don't. Either way it didn't make any difference to the outcome.
I just wondered what the official rule was. I take it it's not clear then.

The Road Warrior wrote:What killed you was the dirty trick I pulled with the Fimir. If you had been able to attack him on your last turn you probably would have been ok as I've added a potion of healing to the treasure chest in that room. I think I'm going to change the position of the Fimiron the map so that the evil wizard can't pull that move.
Then those traps are a bit pointless. I think it should stay.

The Road Warrior wrote:I was disappointed at how badly this quest went for you so I decided to play through both quests I have written again just to check that they weren't impossible.

I finished this quest with 5BP, despite the fact that my first three treasure cards were 2 wandering monsters and a trap. I also collected 280 gold, more than enough to upgrade to the required level for quest 2. The Slayer was eventually killed by The Revenant in the final room of Quest 2. I completely forgot I was holding a Potion of Resilience and a potion of Healing so I probably should have completed that one too. You really were just very unlucky, but I think we already knew that.
Very good dice rolls by you and I should have shadowed the fimir from out of range until I rolled high enough to reach him.

The Road Warrior wrote:Are the rules for your Wardancer the same as the ones we used in the Melee Tournament?
Yep, apart from she doesn't start with a broadsword.

Celia Leafsting
Seeking to avenge the death of her cousen, slain by a knight named Sir Ragnar in a melee tournament.

Wardancer
Race: Elven (Wood Elf). Class: Wardancer. Equipment: Two Short Swords.
Attack = 2* Defence = 0* Movement = 12 Body Points = 7 Mind Points = 3
Special Rules:

• Can use a one handed melee weapon in each hand and can use them to attack twice either before or after (not both) moving no more than half rate. Each attack is defended seperately if the same target is attacked twice.

• When you're attacked in melee roll a dice for every skull the attacker rolled before you defend and if any are white shields you dodge the attack.

• Fails a jump on a black shield instead of a skull.

• Can move through enemies.

• Can't wear armour or a helmet or use ranged weapons but can throw and use a shield. Can switch between a shield, a double handed weapon or two one handed weapons but not after attacking in the same turn.

Rolls three dice for movement unless you don't mind me using the set movement of twelve.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 18th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Very good dice rolls by you and I should have shadowed the fimir from out of range until I rolled high enough to reach him.
Actually that wouldn't have worked. I'd need to stay seven squares behind him and he can move six so I'd need to roll thirteen to catch him. He was always going to get the next attack.

Gold Bearer wrote:I think he should have three attack dice on his stats and add a rage token after he attacks. That gives him the potential of an extra attack dice (a nice round ten when he's fully loaded) and it makes more sense for me anyway.
I got that wrong as well. His maximum possible attack dice would still be nine. It would simply mean that his full rage would be one dice higher as standard and he wouldn't need to buy a broadsword and should go straight for the battleaxe. A broadsword doesn't suit a troll slayer anyway.

Couple of things about the wardancer:

His swords are US shortswords, in Euro weapons they're just swords. He can't attack diagonally as standard.

I've had an idea about his moving through monsters rule. I think he should only be able to do it if the square he moves into right after passing through the monster is empty. So for example you could stop me doing it in a corridor by putting two monsters next to each other.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room