• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

High School HeroQuest Adventurers' Club

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

High School HeroQuest Adventurers' Club

Postby DC1346 » August 17th, 2018, 6:31 pm

The new school year started on Monday and this year I launched a HeroQuest Adventurers' Club as an extracurricular activity at my high school. The principal was thrilled because she said that we haven't previously had a club that appealed to our fantasy gamers, most of whom are into card games as well as video games.

On Thursday I had EIGHT STUDENTS show up. Our total school population is only around 305 students, so this was a pretty good showing. Since 2 students had parents who wanted them home right away, the two who couldn't stay came in to look at the board and the painted miniatures before rushing off to catch their buses.

Since I had to spend time going over the rules, I decided to use the first module, "The Trial" from this site's quest-a-week collection.

Here is an overview of our game play.

The teenage would-be heroes clustered nervously on the stairs as they stared across the small room at the closed door. Of the eight student adventurers who came to my high school’s first ever HeroQuest gaming group, only six had been brave enough to enter the goblins’ lair in search of the King’s stolen gold.

“Alright,” announced the dwarf, “The first thing we have to decide is to see who moves first.”

“I should go first,” said the rogue. “I have the most movement dice.”

“I have as many movement dice as you do,” observed the ranger.

“But I have magic,” insisted the wizard.

“You’re physically weak,” observed the barbarian. “The rogue is also physically weak. I should lead the way.”

“Let’s do paper, rock, and scissors,” suggested the elf.

The dwarf raised an eyebrow. “Really? Paper, rock, and scissors with 6 of us?”

“We could take turns,” grumbled the elf.

I checked my watch. “Tick-tock guys. If you’re leaving on the 4 PM activity bus, you only have 35 minutes to play.”

“I thought we had an hour,” whined the elf.

“That was before we spent some time going over the rules.”

“Oh … yeah. Alright guys … we need to figure out who goes first.”

“It should be me!” insisted the rogue.

“No, me!” insisted the ranger.

“Let’s roll dice,” suggested the dwarf.

In my capacity as Zargon, the dungeon master, I yawned and pointedly looked at my watch.

The rogue picked up 3 dice. “I’m just going to go,” he insisted.

“You can’t do that!” complained the other players. “We haven’t decided who’s going first.”

“I’m going first! I am after all, a rogue, so while the rest of you talked about who would lead, I just slipped out of the crowd.”

“We should check to see if there are any traps!” suggested the elf.

“No! We should first search for treasure!” insisted the dwarf.

“Too late,” grinned the rogue. He threw 3 dice and got 14 movement points. The rogue smiled. “I’m going through that door!”

“Don’t do it,” warned the wizard.”

“Oh, I’m doing it!" The black clad rogue slipped across the room, though the door and into an empty room. After spotting the door on the opposite wall, he went through it and found himself in a corridor. There was another door just down the hallway.

“Don’t go any further,” warned the elf.

The rogue went through down the hall and through the door with his last movement point only to find himself facing two goblins. “HELP!” he screamed at his companions.

The wizard shook his head. “We told you not to go that far ahead.”

“I’m going next,” said the elf. “And I’m going to search the room for traps.”

“TRAPS! I’m surrounded by goblins and you’re worried about TRAPS?”

I cleared my throat. “There are no traps in the room.”

“I’m going to search for treasure!” said the dwarf.

“TREASURE? Why don’t you search for treasure later after we’ve killed these goblins!” screamed the rogue.

Since my house rules said that treasure cards may only be drawn on a single die roll of 4-6, the dwarf rolled a die. It came up as a 2. “Darn!” grumbled the dwarf.

The ranger moved followed by the wizard and the elf. Their movement points took them into the connecting room.

During Zargon’s turn, the goblins attacked the rogue. Dice clattered as the first goblin attacked while the rogue defended. The goblin rolled two shields. SWISH went the goblin’s sword as the rogue ducked.

The second goblin was more fortunate. He rolled two skulls. The rogue winced when his roll only came up with one shield. THUNK! A goblin sword cut into his arm.

“ARGGG!” screamed the rogue. “I’ve been hit.”

“It’s only a flesh wound,” muttered the dwarf.

“And we told you not to run ahead,” grumbled the wizard.

“We’ll rescue you after we search this 2nd room for treasure,” said the ranger.

“And traps,” added the elf.

“HELP ME!” screamed the rogue.

The other players rolled their eyes.

On the rogue’s next move, he decided to advance. Running away from the goblins, he opened a door, ran into a corridor, and paused before another door.

“Should I open it?” he asked me.

“Don’t open it!” insisted the wizard. “And why are you advancing? You should be retreating towards us.”

“Don’t listen to the others,” I said. “They’re just jealous of your speed and how far ahead of them you’ve gotten. They don’t want you reaching the treasure first because then you’ll have to share it.”

“Treasure?” The rogue’s eyes glittered.

I momentarily put a hand over my mouth. “Did I say ‘treasure’? I shouldn’t have said anything. Ignore what I just said. Nothing is supposed to be revealed until you have direct line of sight.”

“He definitely said treasure,” observed the dwarf.

“Don’t listen to him!” insisted the ranger. “He’s LYING!”

“Lying?” I sighed. “Hey, I’m a good guy.” I plucked at my jacket. “Look, I’m wearing white.”

“That’s because you’re the Culinary Arts instructor,” snapped the wizard. “You’re a chef and you're wearing a chef's coat."

“Am I?” I looked down at my jacket. “Oh yeah …”

“He’s also the dungeon master and cannot be trusted!” insisted the wizard.

“Can I trust you?” asked the rogue.

I crossed my fingers behind my back and smiled. “Of course you can. If I were you, I’d enter the room. There’s a big surprise waiting and if you act quickly, you won’t have to share this surprise with anyone else. Did I mention that refreshments are about to be served?”

“He’s crossing his fingers behind his back!” observed the ranger.

I uncrossed my fingers. “Am not.”

“He was crossing his fingers!” insisted the ranger. “I saw him.”

I put on my most innocent expression. “Do you want to know what’s in that room?” I asked. “Open the door. It could be something wonderful. It could be teddy bears armed with peppermint sticks. It could be a beautiful cheerleader who has always wanted to meet a handsome rogue. It could be …”

“A big fat lie!” yelled the ranger.

“Don’t trust him!” pleaded the dwarf. “He’s the dungeon master!”

The rogue’s lips curled. “You just don’t want me to get the treasure,” he grumbled. He opened the door and with his last movement point stepped in … to find himself confronted by two goblins and an orc.

“YOU TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS A NICE SURPRISE WAITING FOR ME! YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE REFRESHMENTS!”

I wagged a finger. “What I said was, ‘There’s a surprise waiting.’ I never said that it would be nice.” I paused. “Oh and surprise, you’re actually the refreshments. Since it's been a while since I fed my minions, I'm sure that a nice tender rogue like yourself will be a tasty treat.”

The rogue screamed. Despite his pleas the other players decided to search for traps, treasure, and hidden doors. It didn’t help that the remaining adventurers rolled low movement points.

On the monster’s turn, the orc and the two goblins stepped forward to surround the hapless rogue. Their swords rose and fell and the rogue was no more.

“Arrggghhh!” screamed the rogue. “I’ve been killed!”

The ranger shook his head. “I told you not to advance so far but did you listen? No!”

The elf sighed and grabbed his backpack.

“Where are you going?” asked the other players.

“I’ve got to catch the 4 PM activity bus. My parents said I couldn’t stay until five.”

“But we’re in the middle of a quest!” growled the dwarf.

The elf shrugged, waved goodbye, and left.

The heroes looked at each other. A moment ago there had been six stalwart adventurers. Now, there were only four.

“I have to use the bathroom,” said the dwarf. He left in search of relief … and then there were only three.

Zargon laughed. It wasn’t the jolly laugh of a stout Winnie the Pooh bellied chef. It was the triumphant and mocking laughter of an evil dungeon master.

“We will avenge our brothers!” shouted the barbarian. He twirled a hand holding an imaginary sword overhead.

“Forward!” ordered the ranger.

By 5 PM, the surviving players had slaughtered the goblins and the orc. They had also discovered two hidden rooms. One of the rooms included a treasure chest with a spear trap. The dwarf was successful in disarming the trap. Inside chest he found a jewel.

The other hidden room was found to contain the king’s gold chest. A search for treasure put two goblins in the room. The goblins were quickly defeated.

Zargon sighed.

“Hurrah!” cheered the players.

“Not so fast,” cautioned the ranger. “We still have to clear the rest of the dungeon.”

“Time!” I called. “It’s 4:55 PM. This would be a good place to stop. You have five minutes to get to the last bus.”

The heroes groaned.

(To be continued)
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: High School HeroQuest Adventurers' Club

Postby j_dean80 » August 17th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Nice to hear from you.

Are you going to start where it left off or try and shorten the quests somehow? Cause they only get longer...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » August 18th, 2018, 1:35 am

I enjoyed that. Always nice to read about the decisions that players have to make, especially players that are new to the game.

If you want to speed up the game I would consider ditching your house rule where heroes have to roll a die to see if they can take a treasure card. Instead, rule that each room can only be searched for treasure ONCE per game. It therefore becomes a race to be the first into a room. It also avoids the tediousness of having to keep track of who has searched where. The only exception is furniture; each piece allows one more treasure search. This also has the benefit of cleaning up the rules for treasure chests, finding artefacts, and trapped furniture.

Let us know how your group gets on with the other quests.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 18th, 2018, 2:16 am

Hahaha, I had a good laugh! Will you continue where you stopped or do you start another dungeon? :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby DC1346 » August 18th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Thank you for your comments.

It isn't hard to stop a game and to continue on the following week.

I record where all of the players are on my dungeon master's map. I gather the character stat cards, along with the unused spell and treasure cards and bag them. The figures go back in my figure storage container. The doors and furniture all get stored. The board gets folded. It only takes a few minutes.

Next week, prior to the resumption of this quest, I'll put everything back the way it was and the game will go on.

The students were disappointed that we couldn't do this EVERY DAY. Although the gamer in me wishes that I could accommodate them, the reality is that my sponsorship of an unpaid extracurricular activity is only a minor part of my overall responsibility as an instructor. I have faculty meetings to attend, parent conferences, papers to grade and record, and lessons to plan. Since I teach Culinary Arts, I also need time to get the kitchen ready for the next day's production by printing recipes and pulling tools and equipment as needed.

Although I'm willing to donate 2 hours of my time per week to a fantasy gaming group, I can't do this on a daily basis (10 hours a week) because this would conflict with my primary responsibilities as a teacher.

The game will resume next Thursday. I don't see any need to make future quests shorter. So long as I keep track of who was where and what cards were still in play, I don't see a problem.

As to the question over my house rules, it's been my experience that if we were to use the full board, the treasure cards would all be gone before the last room was searched. It doesn't take much effort to build an additional random element into this game by having the player who is searching for treasure roll a die.

The game did not move appreciably fast largely because the students spent a lot of time arguing tactics. After the rogue ventured too far afield to be supported by the other adventurers, the surviving heroes began arguing even more about who should do what.

As with any HeroQuest game, as these particular players grow accustomed to working together, I expect that the speed of their game play will pick up.
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 30th, 2018, 3:37 pm

How did this Quest finish out?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!