• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Castle of Mystery

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Castle of Mystery

Postby whitebeard » March 7th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Great night in the dungeon. This pretty much sums it up though.
Tshirt.jpg

According to the official rules, the Wizard and the Elf were both killed. Both had healing spells and were able to restore their health points before Zargon's next turn and stayed alive.

Notable moments:
(1) The Dwarf's first move was snake eyes (first move of the game, he plays first). The wizard's first move involved casting stone skin on himself and moving through the door only to end up back in the original room with the staircase (rolled a 12). He did not move from the doorway. The Dwarf's second turn involved landing back on the wizard!! Ending his stone skin spell!!!

(2) After learning about the "don't stand in the doorway" thing, the party baited the monsters into standing there to attack. They did this by moving to the adjacent room corner thus Zargon had t place a monster in the doorway in order to attack any hero... So the wizard ends up landing on one of the mummies fighting another hero, the mummy then re-rolls the same room again and lands on the wizard, and the wizard re-rolls the same room AGAIN! And lands on the Mummy for it's second body point and destroys it! :lol:

(3) Elf was "killed" while pinned down by a zombie and two skeletons. He drank two potions of defense in two consecutive turns, and rolled several 0 and 1 shield defenses against multiple hits. He had the bow equipped (crossbow) and we make him spend a turn to switch to the shield and sword. So no attacks on his second turn. Then he was killed and used his healing spell… so no attacks the next turn. He was almost completely killed.

(4) The wizard entered the center room with 4 orcs and cast courage on himself and blasted one of them with fire of wrath (wand of magic for 2 spells in one turn). Then he was "killed" by the remaining three and had to use his healing spell on his next turn (so no 3 hit dice courage enhanced attack in the next turn!) And he used Ball or Fire on another orc. At this point the Elf showed up, landing on one Orc, and moving aside to shoot the last one. He missed and the wizard finally used his courage enhanced attack to slay the last orc! The elf's search for treasure revealed a healing potion and it was given to the wizard.

(5) Zargon began teleporting monsters around the castle, causing them to appear and get "free" attacks on the heroes. Great payback for the way the heroes typically enter rooms and kill monsters before Zargon even gets a turn.

(6) The wizard actually used ALL of his spells. He had 2 body points and the healing potion from the Elf (which he did not want to use). He landed in a newly discovered room "near" the stairway. There were two orcs, so he used his Genie to kill one and Tempest to freeze the second. On his next turn he used Swift Wind AND Pass Through Rock, to run all the way to the stairway, totally out of spells.

The party used a lot of resources, found the ring of return, a gem (35 GC), and a lot of hazards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Castle of Mystery

Postby Anderas » March 9th, 2015, 7:27 am

That sounds like having fun! Thank you.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 9th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Keep the Batreps coming, I always enjoy those, although I hardly ever comment.
This was fun!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » March 9th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Sure was fun. I was the wizard and my 8 year old son was the EWP. We had played this quest a couple of years ago, but he still remembered the unique door mechanics. So this was a good one to let him GM. There are now three other players in our group, so I just went last, once the uniqueness was revealed. I should have moved the wizard from the doorway to prevent him from being landed on (because I knew the mechanic). I'd like to say I just played as if my character didn't know this could happen… but actually I'm just a moron who though "nobody will roll a 2 or 12". There goes my stone skin! :lol:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 7th, 2015, 3:39 pm

While reading, I was a bit suprised the way you were playing the teleporting doors...then I got to the end. Your son's style of running the doors was way more chaotic and fun. I think your death houserule makes a for a good counterpoint to this atmosphere and worked great. Also, congratulations on using the Wizard's final spells in a daring escape.

It's great your boy is taking up Zargon's mantle so aptly. Looking forward to more.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » August 7th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Which part of the door usage was unexpected? Landing on monsters / players is in the rules...

Movement is extended through the teleport (just like walking through a door). When it took me (wizard) back to the staircase, I foolishly stayed where I was.

Since there is usually more than one monster in a room, the heroes opted to allow themselves to be "cornered", so that help arriving would kill a monster.

When heroes ran from a room, Zargon is free to follow, but must also roll dice. If you argue that the monsters cannot teleport, then you have right there in the quest rules that a multiple BP monster which is landed on is teleported...

So what was different? Just the shear volume of teleports?

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » August 7th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I don't understand either - but I do have a question.

How did you play it if a monster went through a door and arrived in a unexplored room?

When we did it, I didn't put out the contents of the room and moved the monster back out on the following turn.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » August 7th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Did not happen. My son could have decided either way.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!