• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quests 1 and 2

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Quests 1 and 2

Postby Nuadha » November 12th, 2014, 11:19 am

Got to play through the first two quests (US) with some players in a local board game group. Some exciting games were had. They were not afraid to split the group up and it led to some untimely deaths which made it a real nailbiter for the remaining players!

The group ended up really low on hit points during the first quest, leading to a point where the wizard himself had to jump in the door to take some hits when they found Felmarg's Tomb!

Where was the Barbarian? Off exploring and having a solo adventure of his own!

In the second quest, the Elf and Dwarf fell to their wounds and the Barbarian and Wizard still manage to finish the dungeon and save Sir Ragnar!
Nuadha

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Quests 1 and 2

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 12th, 2014, 11:51 am

Great pictures, Nuadha! Glad to hear you found a local group to game with. Sounds like a pretty good mix of players, what with the exciting events that unfolded. I bet the wizard got some major cred in Felmarg's Tomb.
Hope it leads to many more games!

Did y'all play at a games store?

How long did it take for your group to run through the first 2 quests?

Also, in the second picture, what do those red tokens on the board indicate? Rooms that have already been searched for treasure?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nuadha » November 12th, 2014, 5:56 pm

The tokens do indeed mark rooms that have been looted. I also use bright red ones for damage on multi-HP monsters.

This was at a friend's house. They host a board game night once a month and I decided it was high time to bring out the Quests again.

I was very happy with the group. Too often, I get a group that play super carefully and don't dash in to the adventure. I have had people then complain that the game wasn't "tactically interesting enough." I say they missed the point!

I implemented one major house rule that was a big hit with the players: On any turn where Zargon gets a turn and there are no monsters for him to activate, he flips over a monster card. If it is the wandering monster for the dungeon, he adds another monster of that type to the quest room (The room before Ragnar for Saving Sir Ragnar and the room with Verag for the Trial). This prevented them from saying, "We can all just wait in this hall for the Dwarf to catch up" because they knew it could make the final room harder!

It took us about 3 hours total to get through the 2 quests. This included introduction of rules as only one hero player had played before. (Heroquest is so easy to teach!)
Nuadha

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 13th, 2014, 12:24 am

Hahaa, there is no real purpose for the monster cards being cards, I like your idea. You have me thinking now of other ways to bring them into the game as an actual mechanic...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 13th, 2014, 12:36 am

Neat way to use the monster cards.
When ever a Wandering Monster is called for I randomly select a monster from the deck. {Some monsters may be removed due to difficulty level of the game at hand.} The players will be all "pull a goblin, pull a goblin" when I am shuffling. :D
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 13th, 2014, 12:54 pm

More ideas flowing in. I like!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nuadha » November 13th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Another good idea for using the cards! If you have multiple Heroquest sets or make copies of the cards, you could make a wandering monster deck for each scenario that includes multiples of certain monsters to change the odds for certain wandering monsters, so an Orc-themed dungeon could have more chance of Orcs and less chance of skeletons or zombies. :)
Nuadha

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!