• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

4 games????

Discuss the Dark Company Advanced Quest from the Advanced/Master Game Systems

4 games????

Postby mesodom » September 4th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Hi guys

to play these quest you really need 4 heroquest or i can play with a single copy??

Regards
mesodom

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: Español
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 4 games????

Postby Oftkilted » October 14th, 2020, 6:01 pm

This can be played with a single copy, but you do need the Dark Warrior models.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » October 15th, 2020, 9:00 am

Although the official rules for the Dark Company Advanced Quest says to reset the board each time the heroes move from one board to another, it simply does not take into account the option the heroes have of splitting up. Although the more experienced players won6do this for very long it's still nice to have the option.

Some rather hardcore Hero Quest fans will actually go to the length of buying 3 more copies of the board just to play this quest. I'm one that would prefer it that way, but then I'd need over 120 doors and a over 50 wall tiles.

Even if I did own 4 complete boards and all accessories I would still need 2 additional Treasure Chests, 4 more Tables, 2 more book cases, an extra Throne and between 54 and 66 additional doors!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 15th, 2020, 3:42 pm

I would also like to play the game with 4 boards, but I guess it will takes a lot of hours to do but it is the best experience I think.
The idea to reset each area every time you swap beetween the levels is really boring for me.
Anyway I suggest you to have a look at this Dark Company remake by Pancho: Redrawing the Dark Company
And also this one, an inventory of the required pieces: Dark Company - Complete Checklist

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 7th, 2020, 11:24 am

I know the Dark Warriors are just supposed to be regular Mercenary (Men at Arms) figures, but I couldn't resist buying a bunch of skeletal warriors (Reaper Miniatures) and painting them metallic black for this purpose. They have all the required weapons (except a bowman instead of a crossbowman) and look a lot more monstery. Each to their own...
Last edited by Kurgan on December 9th, 2020, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 7th, 2020, 11:35 am

Kurgan wrote:I know the Dark Warriors are just supposed to be regular Mercenary (Men at Arms) figures, but I couldn't resist buying a bunch of skeletal warriors (Reaper Miniatures) and painting them metallic black for this purpose. They have all the required weapons (except a bowman instead of a crossbowman) and look a lot more monstery. Each to their...

Sarcasm: That’s heresy! Heresy I tell you! ;) /Sarcasm
That’s a great idea by the way! What do they look like? Inquiring hobbyists want to know! |_P I had been considering getting some of the WHFB empire soldiers... but ran across some inexpensive HeroQuest men at arms.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 9th, 2020, 11:46 am

Oftkilted wrote:Sarcasm: That’s heresy! Heresy I tell you! ;) /Sarcasm
That’s a great idea by the way! What do they look like? Inquiring hobbyists want to know! |_P I had been considering getting some of the WHFB empire soldiers... but ran across some inexpensive HeroQuest men at arms.

If you look up "Skeleton guardian" on reaper's page (they are sold in packs of 3), you'll find them in plastic. Some of them are out of stock so you may try Ebay instead.

Some quick pics... and yes I added the bases (uxcell plastic end caps). Being that they are regular Bones (not "Black" that uses the stiffer gray plastic) they were the most bendy figures I'd worked with. The usual boiling water treatment prior to drying and painting did the trick, but I still have to bend the big sword guy's weapon back into place, but no big deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » February 1st, 2022, 9:03 pm

Didnt think of needing the extra furniture. Good thing I dodnt buy more boards. Does the orgional board mesh with the Hasbro one for this quest?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 1st, 2022, 11:37 pm

There shouldn't be any issues setting up the board (furniture, doors, tiles, etc), because the only "new" component used are the Dark warriors. If you're using the Remake to play it, you could substitute certain figures...

Good luck getting ANY guardian knights (much less six packs of them) to sub as dark warriors...

More realistically, if you had the Mythic set you could use unique figures for them, you've got 8 extra red figures you could use. If you don't mind using other than red, you've got the Witch Lord (white), two dread sorcerers (gray) ... and just hope they don't ask for 12 on the board at one time! (throw in the alt Gargoyle for the last one I suppose).

With the Heroic tier you'd have five extra red figures... but you could always make sure that you use a unique sculpt of a monster for the dark warrior, while using the others for the normal monsters.

You could come up with a lot of things here. You could put tiles under the figures that are meant to be dark warriors, after all you've got lots of extras probably not in use.

Or you know what, why even worry about it? You can use any figure to represent the Dark Warriors so long as you can distinguish them from the other characters. Reaper Bones has lots of plastic guys that look like warriors, knights or fighters that would fit in just perfectly, if you don't mind the base looking exactly like the round bases the Remake uses (but even so you could find round bases on their page as well and paint them to "match"). Even if they aren't red... variant pics show them in gray on the back of the box in "Master Edition."

Yes, if you insist on revealing everything on all four boards simultaneously, you'd need a lot more pieces (and probably extra Zargons to manage it all), but if you clear the board as instructed (the monsters all come back anyway when you cross over) you can do it probably well enough with just what you've got, though if you just have the retail version, you may have to get creative.

If you have three friends who each have HeroQuest, have them all bring their sets (everybody could mark the bottoms of their minis with dry erase marker to sort out which belongs to which. I don't think that should stain the plastic after playing for a couple of hours, right? You could also do the game virtually... everybody on Zoom just use your own set, and when the heroes "cross over" start setting it up that way, though you'd still have to have a referee Zargon somewhere.

Edit: Or if you have ROTWL, just use your 12 Skeletons to represent the Dark Warriors (ha! just like I was going to) because they otherwise don't get used in the quest parts of Dark Company.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » February 2nd, 2022, 12:00 am

Figures I was worried about. Just the furincher a d hiw the old and new biard will mix.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to The Dark Company