• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Tyrant's Tomb - a solo quest pack

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: The Tyrant's Tomb - a solo quest pack

Postby The Admiral » December 7th, 2019, 8:55 am

lestodante wrote:I guess there isn't anymore space on the card to add this extra skill, but it would be interesting too.
Maybe the first 4 lines (Immediately upon acquiring the Wand, the Wizard may regain all spells he has used so far in this quest) could be written in the questbook notes only and not in the card (since this is supposed to happen only once, when the Wizard discover the wand for the first time) or maybe sacrifice the "It also grants the wielder 2 extra Mind Points", replacing it with the recovering 1 spell per quest ability.

Yes, the text about regaining all cast spells should definitely be in the quest notes as it will never apply again after that event. I think the 2MP bonus should stay as that was in the original. That would leave space for regaining 1 spell per quest.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » December 7th, 2019, 9:50 am

The Admiral wrote:
lestodante wrote:I guess there isn't anymore space on the card to add this extra skill, but it would be interesting too.
Maybe the first 4 lines (Immediately upon acquiring the Wand, the Wizard may regain all spells he has used so far in this quest) could be written in the questbook notes only and not in the card (since this is supposed to happen only once, when the Wizard discover the wand for the first time) or maybe sacrifice the "It also grants the wielder 2 extra Mind Points", replacing it with the recovering 1 spell per quest ability.

Yes, the text about regaining all cast spells should definitely be in the quest notes as it will never apply again after that event. I think the 2MP bonus should stay as that was in the original. That would leave space for regaining 1 spell per quest.

I agree with you on the bit about regaining all lost spells, that doesn’t need to be on the card.
I don’t agree with getting rid of the all four spell groups ability; trust me, these Heroes are going to need to be powerful as they have to soon face a world-ending demon, as well as many over fearsome foes. And they won’t get 14 quests to develop like in the base game. The Wizard for example will only have four quests before he meets Kyrax.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 8th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I think none of use talked about "I don’t agree with getting rid of the all four spell groups ability". That is the main purpose to own the Wand of Galimatias, no one wish to change it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » December 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

The Admiral wrote:Three extra spells for every quest after this is quite a major upgrade to the wand. As the wand clearly has spell regeneration properties. perhaps the ability to regain one cast spell per quest?

I was referring to this. All opinions very welcome on this project, especially from someone like Admiral who plays a lot of HQ. I just didn’t agree in this particular instance. Four elemental decks IS a major upgrade for Wizzy, but this quest pack is going to be HARD. In the space of 12 quests the Heroes will face no less than THREE immortal beings, as well the Cabiri, the Screaming Spectre and an Orc Witch!

More opinions the better as far as I’m concerned :D

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » January 15th, 2020, 7:10 am

Here we go for the first of the Dwarf quests. This one was tricky to convert, but I think I got there in the end. It's different, for sure, but the Dwarf is going to have an interesting story/journey...

Quest 4 - The Treasure of Chungor Chan
The Dwarf's Tale...
"You are a Dwarf miner, searching for your fortune. After a hard day's work in a quarry outside of Runeport, you sit in a foetid tavern enjoying a well-earned tankard of ale. You can't help but overhear a conversation from the next table.
'So that's the map, eh?'
'Yeah. E' didn't want to part wiv it. 'Ad to take a few of 'is fingers as well.'
'I wondered what that red smudge was.'
You look up, intrigued by this snippet of obviously villainous conversation. You see two sly-looking men with 3 ears, seven scars and an eye-patch between them. They are bent over a torn scrap of parchment.
'What's this then?' says the first rogue, the one with the eyepatch, pointing to a blob on the map.
The other peers at it, then rubs it away. 'That's me supper that I 'ad on the way over. This is the Tomb, see? The sort of pyramid with the settin' sun drawn on it. In this desert of ice.'
'Blimey!' gasps the one-eyed fellow. 'It's 'alfway to the edge of the world!'
'Well,' continues his friend, 'you'd 'ave to go as far as that an' back again to find a treasure as great as the hoard of Chungor Chan.'
You've heard enough and decide to muscle in. They look up, greeting you in unison with a cry of, 'Beat it, you Dwarven scum.' You could probably teach them a lesson in manners but don't want to start a fight with the town guards outside, so instead you hold your tankard over the map and start to tilt it. 'You shouldn't leave that where beer might get spilled on it,' you say casually, 'could ruin an old map like that.'
Mouths agape in horror, they stare at the tankard and then at you. 'B-be careful!' cries the fellow with the eye missing. 'What do you want?' says the other.
'Another drink would do for starters', you reply, tipping the tankard.
'There wasn't anything in it!' says the one-eyed fellow with a gasp of outrage, 'You scurvy mongrel!'
'Now, now,' you say, tucking the map into your belt pouch. 'That's no way to talk to your new partner is it?'."

Notes - This is a solo Quest for the Dwarf Hero. He has the same stats as a beginner Dwarf. He starts the game with a pick-axe (two combat dice in attack) & 60 gold coins that he earned from previous jobs. Tell the Dwarf that he must buy supplies for his treasure hunt and then leave Runeport via the City gate with the new "friends" he met in the tavern, the thieves Grinch & Grivois. The party also has the treasure map to the tomb of Chungor Chan (the player may look at the map included with this quest pack).

A - Use Ye Olde Inn corner tile here. The dwarf starts here, along with Grinch & Grivois (use men-at-arms or other suitable figures for these thieves). The thieves shadow the Dwarf player's movement for now.

B - This Runeport city guard eyes the trio suspiciously, but lets them pass.

C - This is the Runeport market. Grinch & Grivois insist that the Dwarf pay for supplies needed for the journey north. You suspect that they have money of their own, but you won't get it out of them. Items for sale are; Rope 25gc, Lantern 30gold, Warm Furs 20gc, Wooden Stake 10gc, Holy Water 50gc, Healing Salve 50gc (will restore 2BP).

D - This is the City gate. You are keen to be on your way but Grinch & Grivois strike up a conversation with the guards. Unseen by you, Grinch steals a pouch from one of the guards and plants it in your belt. Grivois then points at you and shouts 'Thief! Thief!' Before you know it, you are seized by the guards and arrested. Grinch & Grivois leave through the gate with sly grins in your direction. What's more, they stole back the map during the exchange! Move the Dwarf to room E.

E - The Dwarf is imprisoned here. All his belongings have been taken and he has been informed that he is to be executed in the morning! The Dwarf can use the spoon from his last supper to try and work the mortar loose in his cell wall. Roll one combat die for each of the Dwarf's Mind Points. If the Dwarf rolls 2 or more white shields, he can escape into the corridor in the direction shown by the arrow. If the attempt is failed, morning comes and two guards arrive in his cell. The Dwarf must fight them unarmed and then leave the cell via the door. Either way, the Dwarf must now escape Runeport by finding another route back to the City gates. From now on all guards encountered are enemies. City guard - move 7, attack 2, Defend 2, Body 1, Mind 2 and defend on black shields.

F - The prisoner in room G (an old man), calls out for you to release him. If the Dwarf opens his door, refer to note G.

G - If released, the old man thanks the Dwarf and tells him that his equipment is stored in room J, and to avoid all the other rooms in the prison block. He tells the Dwarf to carry on without him as he will only slow him down.

H - These 3 guards are eating and will take a moment to realise the Dwarf is an escaped prisoner. They lose one turn before they can draw their weapons and move/attack.

I - This is the prison cook - move 5, attack 2, Defend 2, Body 2, Mind 2. There is a Potion of Strength bubbling over the stove, and if the Dwarf has not yet found his equipment he may also make use of the cook's cleaver (2 attack dice).

J - All of the Dwarf's equipment is stored in this chest, including any items he bought in the market. However, any gold he had is long gone.

K - There is a potion of healing in the desk (4BP).

L - This guard is the Sergeant-at-arms - move 7, attack 3, Defend 3, Body 2, Mind 3. He defends using black shields like the other guards. If the Sergeant is defeated, the Dwarf may take a Hand-Axe and Shield from the weapon rack.

The quest is completed if the Dwarf can get back to the City gate and get past the 3 guards. The Dwarf will now set out to catch up with Grinch & Grivois to take back the treasure map (and revenge).

Wandering monster - Guard
Last edited by Pancho on February 27th, 2020, 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby runnar » January 16th, 2020, 12:57 am

Pancho, awesome job dude!
runnar

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Pancho » January 19th, 2020, 7:30 am

runnar wrote:Pancho, awesome job dude!

Thanks! I hope to have the next quest up soon. The Wizard and Elf will confront the Cabiri, then quest 6 will follow the Dwarf’s attempt to catch up with the scoundrels Grinch & Grivois.
Last edited by Pancho on February 19th, 2020, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 19th, 2020, 10:22 am

I continue to follow your questpack with interest!
I have a question on note E, wich I don't understand...
So the Dwarf will use the spoon to dig a passage in the wall indicated by the arrow and will exit in the middle left corridor, right? Or will he exit from the normal door and have to reach that corridor?
In case he willl exit in the corridor and wish to come back to room F, he is forced to pass through room J, so he will find his stuff BEFORE he can help the prisoner in G. So he will not be helpful.
Any special rule to attack and defend before he found his equipment? (it is supposed to be disarmed)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » January 19th, 2020, 4:54 pm

lestodante wrote:I continue to follow your questpack with interest!
I have a question on note E, wich I don't understand...
So the Dwarf will use the spoon to dig a passage in the wall indicated by the arrow and will exit in the middle left corridor, right? Or will he exit from the normal door and have to reach that corridor?
In case he willl exit in the corridor and wish to come back to room F, he is forced to pass through room J, so he will find his stuff BEFORE he can help the prisoner in G. So he will not be helpful.
Any special rule to attack and defend before he found his equipment? (it is supposed to be disarmed)

Thanks for the feedback Dante. There was supposed to be another door leading up out of room I (top left square) that I left off by mistake, but I don’t know if we need it anyway now. What do you think?
Whichever way the Dwarf goes the prisoner in G is basically there to give him a clue not to open up the room with all the guards or the chef (something very similar happens in the book too). The best outcome for the dwarf is that he digs out into the corridor, in which case he can avoid a lot of guards. If he does then end up back in F, at least the prisoner can warn him not to open any more doors in the prison block.
If he doesn’t break out, he’ll have a much tougher time but he can still avoid H & I if he’s sensible.
If he misses J completely (a possibility) then he can still get a weapon in room L.

I always do unarmed combat as Attack 1/Defend 2, for any Hero. Not sure but wasn’t that was the precedent set in the game system with the Grak quest?

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 19th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Oh yes, I think that second door in room I is required.
I also suggest to put more guards in the other rooms, all the rooms in the north area are desert. So even if the Dwarf will waste some time opening other rooms he will not find any extra guard in addition to the ones in the corridors.
Seems he is forced to fight all the guards anyway, because they are all in the corridors, except the 3 in room H.
Also, do the guards in room H will be active only if the Dwarf open their door? Or do they realize the Dwarf escaped and will start hunting for him?
You can also use a couple of rooms more, from the 5 that are now shaded grey and unused; It will not make the quest too much longer I think, consider all the bottom/right corner (marked with A) is like one single room (the Inn) and is almost unused, because it's the starting point.
For room J I would move the entrance from the left side to the bottom side, by moving the single blocked square of 1 tile to the right, to make room for the secret door.
I post a pic here to explain better. The Dwarf has two ways to reach his equipment but in both cases he will only fight 1 enemy. If you wanted to make an easy way (blue line) and a hard way (red line) better put a at least another guard along the red line. If the player will chose the red line, he will experience the feeling of bare hands fighting and will feel the need to find his equipment. With the blue way he will only fight once, will soon find a weapon and come back to his normal 2 dice attack earlier.
A second door in room H should also work fine to make things tougher to our Dwarf.
I also noticed in rooms L and H there are no indication about the enemies position. They are just described in the notes.

pancho's dwarf map.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild