• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Tyrant's Tomb - a solo quest pack

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: The Tyrant's Tomb - a solo quest pack

Postby Pancho » September 27th, 2019, 2:35 am

lestodante wrote:Is there any special description in the novels about any location where you find the artiacts?
For example, you find it laying on atomb or on a table, or on the floor or any special room description that can help to represent its card better?

Faustus is already owned by the starting Wizard
The cursed sword is found in a tomb.
Talisman of Vigor is found in a pile of loot stolen by Ice Gremlins
The Harpoon is found on deck of a ship
Skullcleaver is given to you by an NPC
Wands of Recall & Galimateus, plus the 3 treasures of the Thunder God are the same as in official quests.
Waithweaver and Woe will be explained how you get them in the quest notes (a surprise :D )

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » September 27th, 2019, 10:37 am

Here's the map for this adventure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » September 27th, 2019, 11:04 am

And the following text replaces 'A Message from Mentor' as the usual story introduction (er, we could call it 'A Message from Morris')

The Wizard's Tale
"A great evil is stirring in the world..."
You have just returned to Matholem's School of Magic, on your island home of Truillon in the Sea of Claws. The hour is late due to the fact that you became hopelessly embroiled in a card game in a tavern along the way. You are a young Wizard, an adept of the great Archmage Matholem and thought to be one of his most able, yet wayward, students. Given your abilities, it has come as a bit of a shock to find that the Archmage has already departed on an urgent mission without you, along with all the other students.
At a loss to explain what could be so important that they would have left without waiting for one such as yourself, you mix a potion from Matholem's own collection of magical ingredients and summon a sentient spirit from the fiery elemental plane, by the name of Mordaciter.
"Mordaciter", you say to the being, "by my art I have brought you from the Calid regions to submit to my interrogation".
Mordaciter demurred for the sake of his dignity. "I shall endeavour to enlighten you", he conceded after a moment.
"Archmage Matholem has departed with all the other adepts. Can you tell me why?"
"Certainly. Matholem seeks to prevent the awakening of the demon Kyrax".
"The Archmage seems to consider this venture to be of considerable importance", you venture, "He departed without waiting for -".
Mordaciter makes an impatient gesture, his weightless limbs drifting slowly as though stirred by currents of hot air. "Naturally. Should Matholem fail, the consequences would be severe. It would entail the end of the mortal world, for one thing".
You cock your eyebrows at this, "Is this an example of your infernal wit, Mordaciter? I take your remark to be hyperbolic".
"Not at all, I speak the literal truth; your world will be overrun by stark Chaos if Kyrax is restored to life. Kyrax was an entity of insensate malice who took the form of a giant white wolf or dragon. When, his power having waxed full, he sought to bring an eternal winter down upon the world, he was opposed by a mighty cabal of wizards who fought the Demon in the far north of your world. Eventually the surviving wizards cast down Kyrax, who fell into a frozen lake atop Mount Anger. They then erected an adamantine chamber around the cadavers heart".
"If the Demon was slain, what was the purpose of this chamber?"
"It was to contain Kyrax's essence and prevent his resurrection. However, at this very moment Kyrax's worshippers are travelling north to Mount Anger, led by the mad orc witch, Ghashlug. They plan to release the Demon from his bonds. Your master races north to Norsca, to waylay them".
"I must join him immediately. How can I do so?"
"Why not wait until Kyrax is free and the eternal winter is unleashed on the world?" Suggested Mordaciter. "Then the seas will freeze over and it will be possible to walk across the Sea of Claws to Norsca".
"That will be too late!" You object. "I demand that you recommend a more expeditious plan".
"There are a variety of methods", said Mordaciter after seeming to ponder. "As an example chosen at random, you could tender me your soul, in exchange for which I would grant you the power of flight, along with riches, comfort and - "
"You snide demon", you cry. "I see that I shall get nothing more of value from you. Begone; return to your own world".
Clearly you will have to rely on a more prosaic means of catching up with Archmage Matholem. You depart at once for Truillon docks in order to set sail on the first ship leaving for the Norsca. You can only hope that the notorious Sea of Claws is merciful and allows you to make the crossing with haste...
Last edited by Pancho on April 28th, 2020, 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » October 3rd, 2019, 10:07 am

The first quest is up!
Quest 1 - Beyond the World's Edge
The Elf's Tale...
"After a day of fruitless treasure hunting in the great Laurelorn Forest, you find a place to camp under the stars. You drift off into a fitful sleep filled with strange eldritch dreams, concerning the end of the world. As the power of the prophetic dream waxes full you see a colossal white dragon, hard-scaled and full of hatred for all living things. Heroes of ancient times laid him low, penning him under slabs of ice. But he did not die - seven hundred years he lay there, whilst he plotted his vengeance. Now his awakening draws close. When he arises he will breathe forth the fimbul-frost across the land, biting the flesh and withering the bows, until everything lies under snow and ice and no life stirs anywhere under the sky. And yet, you see a band of Heroes heading north to confront this vile demon.
The dream-visions fade as you awake in the forest, but you remain full of foreboding. You are an elf, so you know that such dreams are not idle fancies. You know that you must take your weapons and travel north to confront this thing. Why else would the gods have sent you this disturbing dream? There is a human fishing village not far from here. If you can reach it you may be able to gain passage across the sea to the frozen northlands, there to meet your destiny beyond the world's edge."

Notes - This is a solo Quest for the Elf (see introduction for the starting spells and equipment for this Hero). This quest takes place in a forest.

A - This secret door cannot be found from the corridor. It can only be found from room B.

B - Place 3 Pit of Darkness trap tiles in this room as soon as it is revealed. Tell the player that they are entrances to "Attercob tunnels", but say nothing more. If the Elf searches the bottom tunnel he will find the skeleton of a long dead adventurer and a Helmet (give the Elf the corresponding Equipment card). If the middle tunnel is explored the Elf finds a coil of sticky webbing that he may take with him (note the word 'Rope' on his Character Sheet). If the Elf enters the top tunnel he will immediately be attacked by a Giant Spider - Move N/A, Attack 2, Defend 2, Body 2, Mind 1. The spider will not leave the tunnel, but if the Elf retreats outside he won't be able to fire his bow at the spider inside. If the spider is slain the Elf can find 100 gold and the secret door in the tunnel, opening to corridor A.

C - Use the quicksand tile here. The Goblins are armed with bows and the blocked squares represent trees; any figure using ranged weapons against an enemy hiding directly behind a tree rolls one less combat die than normal. The sand represents a muddy river which is infested with Cockodrilles. It can only be crossed once the Goblins are dead, using a small boat clad in human skin that the Goblins have tied to the riverbank.

D - Tell the Elf that this door represents a magical wooden toll gate set up by Cacogast the Troll, an old enemy of his, and that there are only three ways to pass through, i) pay the toll of 100 gold by placing the coins in a box in the door, ii) force the door open with brute strength, or iii) open it magically (Twist Wood is the only spell that will open the door, but don't tell the Elf this last bit).

E - This is abode of Cacogast the Troll. If the Elf paid the toll to open door D, or magically opened it with Twist Wood, do not place Cacogast or the door to room F on the game-board. However, if the Elf had to resort to brute force, place Cacogast and the door to room F as shown on the map; the Elf will have to fight the Troll - Move 8, Attack 4, Defend 4, Body 3, Mind 2. Cacogast is also immune to all spells.

F - Say what you want about Cacogast, but he did keep a well stocked larder. If the Elf searches for treasure here he will find some healing berries on the table, which will restore up to 6 BP.

G - Tell the Elf that he has reached the fishing village and has found a Market place. He may buy any of the following items, which he should mark on his Character Sheet; Rope 25gc, Lantern 30gold, Warm Furs 20gc, Wooden Stake 10gc, Holy Water 50gc, Healing Salve 50gold (will restore 2BP).

H - Use Ye Olde Inn corner tile here. This is the Inn of the fishing village. The poor villagers say that they will take you across the Sea of Claws if you can rid them of a sea monster that swims off the coast and prevents them from fishing. If the Elf agrees, tell him that he can search the storeroom (room I) for objects that might help his quest, before opening the door in the top corridor.

I - It is mostly old junk in here, aside from a strange looking sword. The villagers seem to have no idea of the true worth of this weapon, and you see no reason to tell them. Give the Elf the magic artefact Woe. The extra spell bonus takes immediate effect, meaning that the Elf can choose one more Elf spell that he didn't possess, to use for the current Quest. The spell will be chosen from either of the two Elf spell decks that the player didn't select at the start of the Quest.

J - Use the Coast tile here. Night has now fallen and the Elf must row out to meet the Sea Monster. Place the Elf next to the tentacled creature in the water - Move N/A, Attack 1, Defend 3, Body 5, Mind 2. The Elf may make the first attack and may use his bow if he wishes. The Sea Monster grows more tentacles for each wound that its suffers; every Body Point that it loses is added to its total number of Attack Dice!
If the Elf wins this battle the Quest is over. The villagers will now sail him across the Sea of Claws.

Wandering monster - Goblin
Last edited by Pancho on March 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » October 14th, 2019, 5:50 am

Any thoughts/feedback on the first quest?

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » October 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I would probably put a couple of Goblins more, in the first 2 rooms (bottom-right corner) and in corridors; when the hero moves and open one of the first two doors he can already slain 1 of them easily with the bow.
So there is not too much challenge to fight against 1 more goblin.
Not sure I would put 3 bosses in the same quest: (giant spider, troll, sea creature) there is approssimatively 1 boss after 3 or 4 goblins or even less. But maybe they are as described in the novel and also not a real problem.
Just found a couple of possible typos (not sure):
C: is Cockodrilles typed correctly?
I: is "artefact" correct or should it be artifact?
and also a doubt in room H: can the Elf search for treasures and draw a Wandering Monster or a Hazard card inside the inn?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Stig » October 15th, 2019, 2:11 am

lestodante wrote:: is Cockodrilles typed correctly?

I think it’s “crocodiles”

Looks great, love the background to this.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 15th, 2019, 4:11 am

lestodante wrote:I would probably put a couple of Goblins more, in the first 2 rooms (bottom-right corner) and in corridors; when the hero moves and open one of the first two doors he can already slain 1 of them easily with the bow.
Not sure I would put 3 bosses in the same quest: (giant spider, troll, sea creature) there is approssimatively 1 boss after 3 or 4 goblins or even less. But maybe they are as described in the novel and also not a real problem.
Just found a couple of possible typos (not sure):
C: is Cockodrilles typed correctly?
I: is "artefact" correct or should it be artifact?
and also a doubt in room H: can the Elf search for treasures and draw a Wandering Monster or a Hazard card inside the inn?

Thanks for the feedback Dante

- the first map that I play-tested did have 3 Goblins in those rooms. However, I found that the Elf was losing so much health that he then had no chance in the next stages, or was even getting killed early on. He can normally kill one goblin easily enough with his bow, but if there are two more in a room they can counterattack and easily damage the 6BP Elf. The centre room is a lot of fun because the Elf can hide behind one of the trees, but he has no defence before then (unless he finds the helmet). I think you are right about adding a goblin or two to the corridors (especially considering that we are adding a healing spell option to the Elf Spell deck).
- I think having the spider, troll & sea creature in the same quest is OK. There is a good chance that the spider is entirely avoided (and I see that one as a special kind of trap rather than a true boss), the Troll can also be avoided, leaving the sea monster as the real boss. I'm dependant on the books for a lot of this stuff, meaning that most of the quests will have a lot of "big" encounters, with the low quality goblins thrown in as filler. I like the idea that the quest can be replayed by the same player and still have an interesting adventure. Twist Wood might even get used!
- It is Cockodrilles in the book, which surprised me too. We can change it to include the R, although I want to keep close to the story as possible.
- Artefact is the English spelling, Artifact is the American way. I've actually seen both spellings used on both sides of the atlantic and apparently either way is fine to use. I prefer artefact because it looks more like olde English, which suits HQ.
- The intention is that treasure cards are not drawn in the Inn. Only in the store room is the Elf allowed to look around for items that might help him fight the sea monster. I'll add a note to make this clearer.

Would be great to have even more opinions on these quests going forward.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » October 15th, 2019, 4:31 am

Stig wrote:Looks great, love the background to this.

Thanks Stig :D

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

Pancho wrote:
lestodante wrote:I would probably put a couple of Goblins more, in the first 2 rooms (bottom-right corner) and in corridors; when the hero moves and open one of the first two doors he can already slain 1 of them easily with the bow.

The first map that I play-tested did have 3 Goblins in those rooms. However, I found that the Elf was losing so much health that he then had no chance in the next stages, or was even getting killed early on. He can normally kill one goblin easily enough with his bow, but if there are two more in a room they can counterattack and easily damage the 6BP Elf.

I agree. The Elf could easily fail to kill a Goblin in his first or even second shot and take damage quickly. In my current playtest of Heroes' Fortress at the very start of the 1st Quest I rolled 1 skull in 12 dice (4 attacks) against 1 Goblin which defended it. It then ran down and attacked getting 2 Skulls which I only defended 1 with 4 dice and lost a body point! That whole 1st quest was an absolute travesty of joke luck like that, but I had a whole party with henchmen to mitigate the damage. A lone Elf doesn't have much leeway if things go pear shaped.
Last edited by The Admiral on October 16th, 2019, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild