• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Frozen Horror! join us on Discord TONITE (5/14/22)

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Frozen Horror! join us on Discord TONITE (5/14/22)

Postby Kurgan » April 23rd, 2022, 5:25 pm

6 - 10 pm Central Time

Discord (General Voice Chat)

You can see the video live on Twitch of course here.

We'll be playing Barbarian Quest Pack the Frozen Horror, with a few of the fixes we talked about.
Last edited by Kurgan on May 14th, 2022, 6:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord Saturday (4/23/22)

Postby Kurgan » April 24th, 2022, 5:05 pm

Game is over for now. We didn't quite finish Xanon Pass, but had a great time, after many failed attempts with solo Barbarians, we brought in two Guardian Knights to aide him and a good time was had by all. We hope to finish it up next weekend...

Used the Ron Shirtz Combat Cards (Barbarian gets 2 random), no Evil Wizard Deck. Default starting gear. No bonus potions. No starting gold (so no visits to the Alchemist shop yet). No Parley deck. Feels like just you and the icy claws of death... ! But with some extra help it could be winnable.

Yeti hug escape rule (from drafts), blind trap jumping mechanic... usual homebrew "make a plausible case for a 50% chance of completing an uncommon feat" (Zargon's discretion).

I was using 3d printed furniture and reprints of the components that are not found in the Remake set... realized I forgot to add the special "Frozen Horror" treasure cards to the deck (don't have them in poker size at this time) but we do have customs of the missing EU treasure cards mixed in there.

Yes my remake set is finally getting some use after all this time with actual people besides myself. :mrgreen:

To the fallen: :barbarian: :barbarian: :barbarian:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord Saturday (4/23/22)

Postby Kurgan » April 25th, 2022, 12:38 pm

Thanks to TheStrangeBus, P_S_K_Studio (aka Knucklehead) and Bluestar who were our heroes!

Next game planned for Saturday April 30th. One guy has already said he could make it after 7pm, so starting late is fine by me.

We'll try to smash the rest of this quest and see what else we want to do, I'm flexible as Zargon.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord next Saturday (4/30/22)

Postby QorDaq » April 29th, 2022, 2:45 pm

I like that these videos are serving as something of a proof of concept to back up (in a practical sense), the arguments about the need for re-balancing this QP. and also it's good to see folks enjoying the game of course.

Keep it up.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord next Saturday (4/30/22)

Postby Kurgan » May 1st, 2022, 2:15 pm

So far we've been play testing it with two extra heroes (Avalon Hill's Guardian Knights) AND with the Yeti hold breaking (which we made even more lenient though nobody got to do the reverse pro wrestling move by rolling three white shields yet!) AND with giving the Barbarian two skill cards... it's still taken us several sessions. We've been tackling it for four hours (not counting the three prior failed runs with a single barbarian) and STILL have rooms left to go. Granted, playing online tends to take a bit longer (and I take my sweet time) but yes, this is a very difficult first quest even if you throw some bones to the hero(es).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord next Saturday (5/7/22)

Postby Kurgan » May 1st, 2022, 2:22 pm

Next weekend we'll give it another try, join us if you want to participate!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror join us on Discord next Saturday (5/7/22)

Postby QorDaq » May 1st, 2022, 7:27 pm

Kurgan wrote:Next weekend we'll give it another try, join us if you want to participate!

That would be awesome. I hope you folks get some takers. For myself; I work all weekend every weekend, so it's not currently an option. Though I do watch some of the stuff on the YouTubes after the fact.

Keep the flame alive!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Frozen Horror! join us on Discord next FRIDAY (5/6/22)

Postby Kurgan » May 4th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Change of plan... since Sunday is mother's day, I'm cancelling Saturday night's regular stream on HeroQuestFans on Twitch.

Instead we plan to have TWO streams on Friday 5/6. 2-4pm CST will be HeroQuest focused as usual. 9pm until Midnight(???) will be Star Wars video gaming (vintage, retro! I love the Jedi Knight series) with TheStrangeBus, friend of the stream.

Since we may not have our heroes to play Friday, I'll probably do a live interactive reading of one of the Dave Morris HQ novels like before, and allow suggestions from call-in on discord and/or from twitch chat.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror! join us on Discord TONITE (5/14/22)

Postby Kurgan » May 14th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Anybody on RIGHT NOW?

6 - 10 pm Central Time

Discord (Quest Chat, voice channel)

You can see the video live on Twitch of course here.

We'll be playing Barbarian Quest Pack the Frozen Horror, with a few of the fixes we talked about. THREE HERO SLOTS OPEN!

6-10pm Central So in about 36 minutes as of this posting...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Frozen Horror! join us on Discord TONITE (5/14/22)

Postby Kurgan » May 15th, 2022, 10:58 am

Last night's game started off slow as I tried to run the game with only suggestions from chat since our usual players weren't available. Later on StrangeBus rejoined near the tail end of the quest. One of the Knights (previously played by BlueStar) was near death but an audience member purchased a Potion, allowing his eye to light on a precious bottle that restored some health (unfortunately only 1, as a roll of the red die can sometimes bring). The Barbarian (played primarily by StrangeBus) used his Mighty Blow (combat card) to weaken the Polar Warbear, and though he was reduced to 1 BP in the battle, was able to gain for himself a bearskin cape with matching hat to keep him warmer in the quest.

Sadly, one of our Knights (originally played by P_S_K Knuckelhead) didn't survive. Having previously slain the Yeti and acquired much loot with many spectacular monster kills, his luck ran out in a fateful encounter with a Mummy. An unfortunate fall into a trap forced him to use his Stalwart skill to survive, but the Mummy tricked him into a Pit trap and took advantage in the combat. His zeal for gold and desire for fame led to his downfall. Even last minute uncommon feats of bravery and appeals to the audience for help was too little, too late, and his body (and his gold) were left behind in the dungeon.

The Barbarian and the other Knight made it out the Wooden Door, completing the Xanon Pass (for now!). They also claimed rewards... bounties placed upon a Goblin, Skeleton and Yeti by the families of the three Barbarians who previously perished in the dungeon (having been eaten by the Yeti).

Short on funds to buy all the equipment they needed, our two survivors visited the local tavern's wagering establishment and won (on their first try) 100 additional gold coins. Each equipped a helmet and the Barbarian chose Chainmail while the Knight put on Plate Armor (since no movement penalty for his character). The Barbarian retained the Longsword he found treasure-hunting and the Knight sold off his shortsword and kept the Broadsword that was given to him.

So yes, we applied many house rules to this extremely hard first quest from BQP and it took us several sessions to finish. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Next weekend... TRIAL BY ICE

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups: