• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Inn's Modular System for House Rules

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Do you think a Modular System of House Rules would be an advantage for us as HQ players?

Poll ended at September 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Yes, I like the concept and would perhaps contribute to it.
54%
It would certainly be an advantege and I would definitely use it myself.
8%
I think it's a good idea, but I'm unsure about the outcome, will wait for the result.
15%
I will pehaps use it sometimes.
No votes
I'm utterly unconcerned.
8%
I don't like the idea, but wait for the result until I judge.
No votes
I don't like the idea and won't use it, but don't mind you to go on with it. To each his own!
8%
I openly oppose the concept. Don't restrict the fantasys of authors!
No votes
Nothing of the above, but generally Yes
8%
Nothing of the above, but generally No
No votes

Total votes : 13

Re: Re: Advancement - how to do it?

Postby Fimm McCool » October 28th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Coming to this discussion late, but last year we ran an extended Heroquest campaign for which I wrote some advancement rules and added "Spirit" points to bring Chaos traits into the game. They can be found here (too many to repost on this forum!)

http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/heroquest-advanced-rules-pt1-equipment.html
http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/heroquest-advanced-rules-pt-2-skills.html
http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/heroquest-advanced-rules-pt-3.html
http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/heroquest-advance-rules-pt4-spirit.html

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Fimm McCool

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Advancement - how to do it?

Postby joec » October 30th, 2013, 11:15 am

My table gets 2 points (either 2 body, 2 mind, or 1 body 1 mind) for completing a questbook.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 30th, 2013, 11:27 am

Each hero? Or do they divide those 2 points among them?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thrawn » November 26th, 2013, 11:30 am

Over the last year, I had refined the advancements I'd been using with WAAAGH! and actually put the skills into trees instead of just picking from a list. That allowed me to make some skills stronger than others. I was pretty happy with those results.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » November 29th, 2013, 6:05 am

:2cents: HeroQuest is basic and I believe we all agree. Maybe too basic in some area's, but that is what makes it so much dang fun. Its not complicated and over ruled like D&D or Magic: The gathering. Just simple fun. I personally wouldn't change a single thing about HQ, but if I "had" to, I would have to say the body points are an issue when you get into the expansion sets or just have a real lousy night of bad rolling. Everything else in HQ is dead on for me.

Again, this is just my :2cents:. Keep in mind I play with 9 and 10 year old kids who hate rules.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 14th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Decipher wrote:I personally wouldn't change a single thing about HQ, but if I "had" to, I would have to say the body points are an issue when you get into the expansion sets or just have a real lousy night of bad rolling. Everything else in HQ is dead on for me.

While I wholeheartedly agree (I think what makes HQ so fun is that it IS so freaking simplistic) the point of this thread isn't to debate whether or not people should choose to add mods to the game, but to define those mods that some people might choose to add. You and and can feel free to simply not add those modifications. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 15th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Here's something I've been using for my quests, and it works alright.

"Hero Skill Advancement: Before any Quest, a Hero may draw one skill card from his matching Skill Card deck for every three Quests he has competed."

The skill card deck is shuffled beforehand, and is comprised of 4 different and unique skills for each Hero.

[Download link to my current set of custom cards, skill cards are the first 6 pages] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zGYN2GANKiNzcwQXcwek9sR3c/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone have any thoughts for Spellcaster Advancement? Trying to think of a similarly simple system for that too. This is what I got so far:

"Hero Spellcaster Advancement: Before any Quest, a Hero may draw one extra spell group for every nine Quests he has competed. Heroes may choose an extra spell group from the available spell groups in the following order: first the Wizard, next the Bard, then the Monk, and finally the Elf."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 17th, 2014, 7:13 am

nice cards! some notes:

- the pied piper rat can move through closed doors? why? Now you could use it to view what's in a room without opening it... And with 12 movement, it can walk in and out of multiple rooms possibly.

- Rune Door: what's the point? why would I want to replace a regular door with a secret door, or place a secret door randomly? Odds are the adjacent room is solid rock...

- Is sneak in shadows an action?

- you have 2 Treasure Horde spells, one is a spell of darkness. And it's Treasure Hoard, not Horde.

I like how you added the WoM spells in there in the NA style. I did the same for the BQP and EQP as those were the ones EU was missing :)
You should add the missing Ogre Horde monsters and spells as well. I made cards for the spell tokens from AtOH. The chaos beastman is a nice one. Where did you get the image? It fits the style perfectly.
LOVED the cooperative creature card hahaha!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 17th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Sjeng! You're awesome for taking a look at all of those. Thanks for the notes! Point-by-point reply incoming...

Sjeng wrote:nice cards! some notes:

- the pied piper rat can move through closed doors? why? Now you could use it to view what's in a room without opening it... And with 12 movement, it can walk in and out of multiple rooms possibly.

You're right--when the player had the rat, this is exactly what he did. I can change that to "see through doors," etc. instead.

Sjeng wrote:- Rune Door: what's the point? why would I want to replace a regular door with a secret door, or place a secret door randomly? Odds are the adjacent room is solid rock...

To make a regular door a secret door can be be used to seal up a room if there happened to be an overwhelming or scary amount of monsters, and the dwarf (or whoever opened the door) needs to wait for back up. Or if he's making an escape, and wants to hold off the monsters. In this use, it basically closes an open door, and does not allow the monster to open it. Now, to place a secret door on any wall, that works just like pass through rock--can be used as a shortcut, etc., but the door stays there for anyone to use once it's open.

Sjeng wrote:- Is sneak in shadows an action?

Yes, perhaps I need to clarify that on the card. It's basically the "disappear" elf spell.

Sjeng wrote: - you have 2 Treasure Horde spells, one is a spell of darkness. And it's Treasure Hoard, not Horde.

oops! double oops! Okay, will fix that! :)

Sjeng wrote:I like how you added the WoM spells in there in the NA style. I did the same for the BQP and EQP as those were the ones EU was missing :)
You should add the missing Ogre Horde monsters and spells as well. I made cards for the spell tokens from AtOH.

Yeah! The more spells the better. I'm thinking of dumping all the additional spells into a shuffled "Spell Library" deck that certain heroes can pull from before a quest, if they qualify for it. I'll share more about that soon...

Sjeng wrote:The chaos beastman is a nice one. Where did you get the image? It fits the style perfectly.

Yeah! Took awhile to hunt that one down. I did some outlining/photoshopping to the Beastman from page 71 of the 3rd Ed. Warhammer Armies book: http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/43hinxxxds10xupl/images/71-6d24c0eff3.jpg

Sjeng wrote:LOVED the cooperative creature card hahaha!

Thanks! At that point in my Chalk image research, I was like, "eff it. He's cute," and called it a day :P The most adorable skaven you ever did see!

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 18th, 2014, 3:13 pm

I updated my armory, with a section that allows spell advancement. non-spellcasters are even allowed to dip into magic if they wish: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2173&p=34587#p34587

The general idea of my armory with the proficiencies, etc. is to allow the player to "build" their character from the basic framework of each hero type.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion