• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Inn's Modular System for House Rules

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Do you think a Modular System of House Rules would be an advantage for us as HQ players?

Poll ended at September 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm

Yes, I like the concept and would perhaps contribute to it.
54%
It would certainly be an advantege and I would definitely use it myself.
8%
I think it's a good idea, but I'm unsure about the outcome, will wait for the result.
15%
I will pehaps use it sometimes.
No votes
I'm utterly unconcerned.
8%
I don't like the idea, but wait for the result until I judge.
No votes
I don't like the idea and won't use it, but don't mind you to go on with it. To each his own!
8%
I openly oppose the concept. Don't restrict the fantasys of authors!
No votes
Nothing of the above, but generally Yes
8%
Nothing of the above, but generally No
No votes

Total votes : 13

Re: The Inn's Modular System for House Rules

Postby Daedalus » October 4th, 2011, 6:24 pm

I agree that the physically different nature of a scroll makes it a cool candidate for renaming modules. I have a concern that it might confuse modules containing actual scroll house-rules. Would there be enough of a problem...don't really know.

On an organizational note, I agree on principle with Big Bene that we should attempt to make the Tome a completed project so that individual house-rules will remain consistent. I'd still place on my suggestion list a later, on-going project to include in the Tome forum area. That project would be a submissions forum to record the various Tome rules as a reference work. I'd like to be able to go to a forum section for searching, then the sub-forum for secret doors and find others' actual house-rules there in one place. Then I could reference it against the actions forum to cobble a house-rule hybrid together. The organization would probably parallel the Tomes how-to forums, and should probably be linked to the matching how-to forum for ease of reference.

Personally, I'd like polls to be part of a house-rule reference guide, so that the various house-rules could be listed in a meaningful order. However, I don't see an immediate need to include them, as the inclusion of initial house-rules will probably be slow and few in number. Maybe in the future polls may have a place- they can wait.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby torilen » October 5th, 2011, 1:58 pm

I am not sure if I agree with the idea of the Tome, or even parts/sub-forums, being "completed" at some point. That is, that they
would be closed to any more entries. I would disagree with this for two reasons: 1)Because it seems we always have new members
join the inn - at least one or two a year - at I would not want them to be left out if they have ideas to be included. 2)Just looking
at the various threads already on the inn, it appears that even those of us who are quite active are constantly coming up with
new ideas for how to read the rules, or new additions to the rules, etc. Sometimes, we might even come up with new thoughts
for rules that we have already talked over two or three times before. As such, what would happen if the Tome was closed,
and we came up with a new idea to add to it.

However...I do quite like the idea that, one day, it might be possible to take the Tome and turn it into a PDF download or
something similar. That is one reason we are talking about creating such a thing, I believe. Anyone can search through the
entire forum on the inn and find various rules and additions for house-rules and such. But the Tome we have proposed will
put all of those house-rules and house-readings of rules into one place and make them easily accessible. AND...it would be
absolutely wonderful to be able to get to those while not online. Especially for people like me...I was once able to get on
the inn at work, and then the website blocker blocked the inn, and that was the end of it for me while at work.

As such...I must admit that it would be hard to create a PDF of the Tome if we don't eventually close it and make it
"complete".
Does anyone know if there is a way to create a website or forum in such a way that the entire website or forum is
downloadable, while still able to access and add to it. If so, then all one would need to do is re-download it from time
to time to make sure they had an up-to-date Tome.
I'll try to research on this idea - but I don't know enough about creating websites and forums to be of a whole lot of use.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 6th, 2011, 6:44 am

All I know is that it's theoretically possible to redirect posts to a web-page. If that page is created with clear chapters/paragraphs, and all the redirected posts are in the correct order with correct headings, you could simply print that webpage to PDF from your webbrowser.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sadkitchen » October 7th, 2011, 12:14 am

@torilen
We are not saying that when the Tome is 'finished' that no new Ideas can be added. We are saying that the base rules found in the Tome won't be changing any more. New members to the site can still add modules/scrolls whenever they feel like it.

-SadKitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sadkitchen » December 15th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Hey there.
If you havent noticed, I have been away for a couple of months. Lack of internet causes fourm following issues. :) Has anything been done on this?

-SadKitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 19th, 2011, 5:58 pm

@sadkitchen
Welcome back! Big Bene had posted somewhere that he was currently busy with other projects and personal matters. As he's the guiding force on this, pretty much everyone involved (well me, anyway) is in a wait and see mode while distracting themselves with less weighty posts. You could probably distract yourself for quite a while as well, digging back for what you missed, or you could even get things started here again. I have an unfinished post concerning the ordering of Tome contents that I could start work on again, if you're interested.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » January 3rd, 2012, 8:14 pm

Hello everyone, I just dropped in the conversation because there is an other thread going on talking about the revival of Heroquest. I came up with the proposition of creating free and ready-to-print pdf for the game material (like 3d paper models for furniture, tokens for monsters, Heroes, etc, cards)

I don't know if you plan on using the old board or using a new modular system, but I just wanted to mention that the actual board already exists in a modular version, and you could create a module to use it ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 4th, 2012, 4:03 am

Hi!

As some of you may have noticed, I'm back - sort of, I've added a few of my :2cents: here and there, but still have to wrap my mind around the somewhat complex matter of this project again.

@Maike:
"Modular" here does not refer to the board, but to the rules. We try to make the rules into a modular system, so that one can adopt house ruels from different sources and still get a coherent game.
The gameboard would be one of those rule modules, and players could choose rule versions like "The game is played on the original HQ board", "The game is played on any fixed board with regular squares and clearly distinuishable rooms and corridors" or "The game is played on a modular board" - in the latter case there would follow some rules about how this would look like and be to be build up in the game.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Von Necron » January 4th, 2012, 10:48 am

There were a lot of ideas on this. I liked the idea of a rules section compiled, not from different authors. I dont like clicking on this guys rules then going back to some one elses rules to find there take on advancement or movement. I would like a section on advancement where there is a list of whose rules and a brief sumary. Scroll down to movement do the same. So in discussion we could say "I use so and so's advancement and so and so's movement. My Knight had a set movement of 6 so I could not reach the orc. Instead I used Rallying cry to benefit my team mates.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thrawn » March 22nd, 2012, 5:02 pm

Just wondering if this project is going to continue? It's been about 10 weeks since the last post here.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion