• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] Which HeroQuest system and expansions do you own?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Which HeroQuest system and expansions do you own?

Game System
23%
Advanced Game System (includes Dark Company)
6%
Kellar's Keep
19%
Return of the Witch Lord
19%
Against the Ogre Horde
10%
Wizards of Morcar
9%
Mage of the Mirror
6%
Frozen Horror
7%

Total votes : 1432

Re: [Poll] Which HeroQuest system and expansions do you own?

Postby wallydubbs » February 26th, 2020, 8:58 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I thought heroquest advanced was a completely different game that had nothing to do with HeroQuest.

“Advanced HeroQuest” is a completely different game. “HeroQuest Advanced Edition” is a special edition of HeroQuest with Dark Company and mercenary figures.

So apparently I don't have this one. Is it something you need to buy or is it a fan thing and you can use your existing sets from the other expansions?

It was only released in Europe under the first version with the Maze as the first quest.
Unlike other expansions this one came with the game system with 13 additional Dark Company miniatures, who are the same mold as the Mercenaries from Frozen Horror and Wizards of Morcar. It also came with 13 stage quest map that covers 4 boards. This map is, again unlike any other expansion, more like a folded up poster.

I was unable to find a cheap copy of Frozen Horror, Mage of the Mirror or Wizards of Morcar, but most of the miniatures for the Barbarian and Elf packs are printable on line (if you have access to a 3D printer). The Mercenaries, however, were not.
Though I managed to buy the 4 Wizards of Morcar figurines for a reasonable price on Ebay, the mercenaries were a bit expensive.
However, in time, I found the HeroQuest Advanced Quest Edition for $110. Although I already had the game system, i don't think I would've paid this much for the mercenary figures alone.
So one game system I'm keeping in pristine condition, the other I allowed my girlfriend's daughter to paint.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » February 26th, 2020, 5:07 pm

I keep telling my nephew that my excellent boxed copies of FH and WoM, and my near mint copy of MitM (counters still in card sprues) are his inheritance!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 26th, 2020, 9:41 pm

wallydubbs wrote:It was only released in Europe under the first version with the Maze as the first quest.

My copy came with The Trial.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » February 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I thought heroquest advanced was a completely different game that had nothing to do with HeroQuest.

“Advanced HeroQuest” is a completely different game. “HeroQuest Advanced Edition” is a special edition of HeroQuest with Dark Company and mercenary figures.

So apparently I don't have this one. Is it something you need to buy or is it a fan thing and you can use your existing sets from the other expansions?

It was only released in Europe under the first version with the Maze as the first quest.
Unlike other expansions this one came with the game system with 13 additional Dark Company miniatures, who are the same mold as the Mercenaries from Frozen Horror and Wizards of Morcar. It also came with 13 stage quest map that covers 4 boards. This map is, again unlike any other expansion, more like a folded up poster.

I was unable to find a cheap copy of Frozen Horror, Mage of the Mirror or Wizards of Morcar, but most of the miniatures for the Barbarian and Elf packs are printable on line (if you have access to a 3D printer). The Mercenaries, however, were not.
Though I managed to buy the 4 Wizards of Morcar figurines for a reasonable price on Ebay, the mercenaries were a bit expensive.
However, in time, I found the HeroQuest Advanced Quest Edition for $110. Although I already had the game system, i don't think I would've paid this much for the mercenary figures alone.
So one game system I'm keeping in pristine condition, the other I allowed my girlfriend's daughter to paint.

I'm still not clear if there are any unique components or if I need to buy it when my group gets there. Do you need 4 separate boards? Will you have enough minis if you use the mercenaries from earlier expansions? Do you need to purchase this or not?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 26th, 2020, 11:48 pm

I'm pretty sure you can find a copy of this quest off of the homepage and look under the game system, should be posted under the Maze (see below).

You'll probably need 5 or 6 mercenary figurines. You won't need to buy extra boards, the rules tell you to just refresh the board any time the heroes move to a new map... however it doesn't quite take into account what if the heroes split up.

You can find it on Phoenix's quest packs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » February 27th, 2020, 1:27 am

Got it! So I see the quest. Are there components you need on top of the other quest packs? Looks like it might take 4 sessions to get through this one. Someone mentioned needing more of the dark warriors (mercenaries). Looks like you might also need more doors?
Are these things you get if you get a copy of it or would I have all the materials from just having the game system and the 6 quest packs?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 27th, 2020, 7:48 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Got it! So I see the quest. Are there components you need on top of the other quest packs? Looks like it might take 4 sessions to get through this one. Someone mentioned needing more of the dark warriors (mercenaries). Looks like you might also need more doors?
Are these things you get if you get a copy of it or would I have all the materials from just having the game system and the 6 quest packs?

This quest pack doesn't come in a standard smaller box like the rest of them, it comes with the original game system, but only certain versions. Mine came with the game that had the Maze as the first quest, which lead me to assume it was limited to the first European version... but J Dean said he found a copy with The Trial as the first quest, so it may have expanded to the 2nd version.

The only addition to the game system is the foldout poster detailing the quest and 13 dark Warrior/mercenary figurines.

Although it comes with 13 miniatures I don't believe there's a room that contains more then 6 of them.

You should have enough doors if you're constantly resetting the board. In many cases you need to leave board 2, go into board 4 for a bit just to come back to a secluded area back on board 2.

However, if you wish to use 4 boards, as some hardcore questers do, you probably would run out of doors, here's a link to the list of the components:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5194

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Fredostrike » February 27th, 2020, 10:18 am

I wish they would reprint some of that stuff without destroying the vintage of the old game just give a chance to everyone to complete their collection legit
Fredostrike

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby lestodante » February 27th, 2020, 1:53 pm

wallydubbs wrote:This quest pack doesn't come in a standard smaller box like the rest of them, it comes with the original game system, but only certain versions. Mine came with the game that had the Maze as the first quest, which lead me to assume it was limited to the first European version... but J Dean said he found a copy with The Trial as the first quest, so it may have expanded to the 2nd version.
The only addition to the game system is the foldout poster detailing the quest and 13 dark Warrior/mercenary figurines.

Three versions of the game were released in Europe.
1st release in 1989 featuring The Maze as the first quest;
2nd release in 1990 featuring The Trial as the first quest (The Maze was deleted from the questbook) and with some minor differences in the rulebook and in the cards;
3rd version released in 1992 called HeroQuest "Advanced Quests" (in the UK; HeroQuest "Le Nuove Imprese" in Italy; HeroQuest "Master" in Germany and with other names in other countries) featuring the same game from the 1990 version plus additional "The Dark Company" book and 12 mercenaries miniatures.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 27th, 2020, 2:39 pm

lestodante wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:This quest pack doesn't come in a standard smaller box like the rest of them, it comes with the original game system, but only certain versions. Mine came with the game that had the Maze as the first quest, which lead me to assume it was limited to the first European version... but J Dean said he found a copy with The Trial as the first quest, so it may have expanded to the 2nd version.

Three versions of the game were released in Europe.
1st release in 1989 featuring The Maze as the first quest;
2nd release in 1990 featuring The Trial as the first quest (The Maze was deleted from the questbook) and with some minor differences in the rulebook and in the cards;
3rd version released in 1992 called HeroQuest "Advanced Quests" (in the UK; HeroQuest "Le Nuove Imprese" in Italy; HeroQuest "Master" in Germany and with other names in other countries) featuring the same game from the 1990 version plus additional "The Dark Company" book and 12 mercenaries miniatures.

I bought mine from someone on Ebay, it was in the "Advanced Quest" box. It came with the Game System quest booklet, featuring The Maze as the first quest; the Treasure and Spell deck were all first edition, so you can see why I assumed it was from early editions.

However the guy who sold it also included the tiles, figurines and booklet for Keller's Keep so it's not improbable that he mixed together some pieces from incomplete sets.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion