• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

What do you think of this announcement?

Here we go again
20%
I don't care
8%
Can't wait to pre-order
35%
Can't be real... no it can't be!
No votes
Maybe it will be good
15%
I'll wait for more info...
23%

Total votes : 40

Re: 'Hero Collection' II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '2

Postby Kurgan » November 2nd, 2022, 12:44 pm

lestodante wrote:I think the Magical throwing Dagger is an item on itself, one use only. The Bandolier has standard knives only.
I am still surprised about some people has a special skill in creating problems and overcomplicate things :D

To be fair we didn't have all of the info all at once when the pack was first revealed, so speculation was bound to happen.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » November 2nd, 2022, 12:50 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
lestodante wrote:I think the Magical throwing Dagger is an item on itself, one use only. The Bandolier has standard knives only.
I am still surprised about some people has a special skill in creating problems and overcomplicate things :D

Just a few side questions for the Magical Throwing Dagger (MTD):
1.) If the Wizard finds a MTD, would he need to equip it prior to throwing? Some here at the inn play an action to change equipment.
2.) Can the MTD be used as a regular dagger with the 1 combat dice attack instead of being thrown?

It's a throwing dagger, so single use only, you can't use it to get infinite unblockable attacks (which would certainly be a much better perk than throwing it!). And an adjacent attack with a dagger is 1 (blockable) die, just like unarmed combat.

Say more what you mean about "equipping"... do you mean in terms of whether an Ice Gremlin can steal the magical throwing dagger from the hero (since the weapon in his hand can't be stolen)? I would say the item can't be "equipped" in that way. It's something you take out to throw. But it's different than Borin's Armor which you have to wear to get the bonus. That's how I think it was intended to be used. If you prefer, per Zargon's privilege, to treat it as a magical attacking dagger, that would be much more powerful!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 2nd, 2022, 2:37 pm

Yes, I meant it as a single combat attack dice, never leaving the heroes hand he can still attack with 1AD.
I'm aware, once it's thrown it's an automatic 1 hit and it's gone.

And by equip, I mean if the Wizard is holding a staff (a 2-handed weapon) and he takes out the Dagger. That would count as switching weapons. Some Zargon's play that as an action.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 2nd, 2022, 2:48 pm

Yeah and some have rules for dual wielding (a homebrew of course... the Rogue being the first official exception to that!), but by default switching isn't an action (or it's a "free action") the only time that presents a problem in my opinion when it's someone trying to cheat with the Shield plus Battle Axe/Staff, in those cases it would make sense to implement something if they are trying to stretch those rules to always get the benefit from both pieces (but I would let the hero carry both, not be forced to "drop" one).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Just got my Rogue Heir of Elethorn

Postby cynthialee » November 9th, 2022, 8:28 pm

And it brings me to this question...

Can the Rogue use all skill cards in a single turn if applicable? As a difficult mode Zargon I tend to think you get to chose 1 card per turn, maybe 2 if the character is a 'Champion'.
Last edited by Daedalus on March 2nd, 2023, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged from the General HeroQuest Discussion room.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Just got my Rogue Heir of Elethorn

Postby Kurgan » November 9th, 2022, 9:43 pm

All the Rogue Skills are passive. So they are intended to "stack." I guess if you wanted to have the player be forced to choose only one at a time, that's your prerogative as Zargon! I don't personally think it would break the game.

In Space Crusade there is a similar phenomenon with the Eldar Exarchs... they have a lot of abilities that are in effect for the entire "mission" (and yet they are not completely unstoppable).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » December 8th, 2022, 5:01 pm

So, do you think the Rogues Skills are not well explained on their cards? Probably yes... or not too bad, really.

I mostly agree with QorDar about the rules do not limit anywhere if the attacks performed by the Rogue are only close combat ones, I think the Rogue rules intentionally allow ranged attacks with the daggers when using the skills Ambidextrous and Opportunistic Striker, even a combination of both (1 close combat attack with a shortsword or a dagger and 1 ranged attack in the same turn with another dagger from the Bandolier, for example).

Another point I see is the quantity of daggers inside the Bandolier... Zargon twitter account said that "a zillion daggers looks silly to me" when refering to the Bandolier (see picture below), which I think confirms it contains infinite daggers... however, the Bandolier card says that "you are always considered to be armed with a dagger", not with infinite daggers. What does this mean for me? Well, it means for me that the Rogue has many daggers inside the Bandolier but not an infinite number, so maybe he needs to limit their use a bit. How this limitation is represented in the game for me? Well, his starting weapon is a Dagger, which will wield in one hand, AND he also starts with the Bandolier, which will provide him another Dagger in the other hand. What happens if the Rogue throws a dagger? Could we regain it with ANOTHER dagger from the Bandolier? In my opinion, he should not, since the Bandolier only counts as "a" Dagger, not as "two" Daggers. If the Rogue wields two Daggers (one from the Bandolier) and throws one of them, from such moment he will only wield one Dagger, the only one provided by the Bandolier. If he throws it after that, he will regain another Dagger from the Bandolier, but he would only have one Dagger in hands until he buy another in the Armory.

Just another interpretation of the rules, but if we read them strictly, maybe the Bandolier is not overpowering the Rogues so far.

Zargon twit from 04/Oct/2022:
Zargon_Twitter_2022-10-07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » December 8th, 2022, 5:32 pm

It seems like people are trying to overcomplicate things by treating the item dagger and the bandolier dagger as separate things that you need to hold simultaneously to use the Ambidextrous skill, and that throwing both in a single turn means you can't use the skill again because the bandolier only refills one. Twitter Zargon is just scoffing at the idea that the rogue needs another dagger in addition to the bandolier dagger since the bandolier just keeps producing more of them anyway - the "looks silly to me" seems more like a judgement on the appearance of the bandolier.

Make things easier on yourself and just assume that the rogue can use the Ambidextrous skill to throw two daggers from the bandolier in the same action.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 8th, 2022, 9:51 pm

If we're going to nitpick like that then wouldn't losing your bandolier and just happening to have two daggers mean you get the double attack?

The bandolier just means you always have the power of a single dagger and a toolkit.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » December 8th, 2022, 10:09 pm

Hohoho... I was sure this would lead to a good debate. :D

Another question derived from some comments I read on Facebook: assuming the Rogue Skills are passive abilities since they do not need performing any extra action by the Hero to be used, do you think they may be combined together in the same turn? For example are you sure 'Ambidextrous' and 'Opportunistic Strike' may be both used during the same attacking action? Yes? No? Why? Thanks.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items