• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby Kurgan » March 20th, 2023, 11:53 am

The thing about HeroQuest, is that like so many other entertainment products, it is trying to evoke the feeling of being an active participant in fantasy adventures you've seen in other fiction (movies, comics, novels) as opposed to being an attempt to simulate the historical middle ages (or be a perfect representation of some other fantasy story.. that is, it's not a 1:1 copy of LOTR or even Warhammer fantasy battle/rpg). So gone are arguments that longswords and crossbows are two handed weapons, that you CAN carry a shield with a battle axe or staff, that wizards, if they existed, could probably wear armor and use other weapons than a staff or dagger (or hand axe!), that medieval knights could run around and stuff just fine wearing full plate armor, etc. Real warriors at the top of their game could do some things we'd find amazing (and not like in the movies), though it would be unlikely to find them carrying hundreds of gold coins in their pockets along with dozens of weapons and bottles of "potions" with them without difficulty into battle in a pitch black "dungeon" without having to rest. So a lot of realism is sacrificed for those bigger concerns in playing a game (as opposed to a historical simulation), but in your homebrew you can try to do these things...

The game rules make their own demands which preserve the uniqueness and nostalgia of the game, for balance, challenge and fun, not so much for realism (but we're always free to modify at will). It's just that we're trying to seek out the issues in the RAW ("rules as written") materials officially published. Right?

Sorry to get off on a tangent, so back on topic...

Thanks to seekhashem for reminding me on the HeroQuestFans discord that Twitter Zargon had declared helmets to explicitly be metal (and shields not) in their game.

Though I would also like to point out that the Chaos Rust Spell in the NA edition says it only works on Metal Helmets and Metal Swords. It doesn't say it affects any other metal piece of equipment of which the artwork seems to show they all have some metal aspect other than the staff (and won't work on artifacts). But, this is all useful for our purpose which is showing what's unclear, contradictory, or a mistake in the released version.

TwitterZargon_MetalHelmets.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 20th, 2023, 8:37 pm

Carry-over from the Re: PROPHECY OF TELOR discussion thread...

I'll be grabbing the retail - assuming it has tiles for Halls of the High Mages & The Arena of Misildia, and others along with a corrected quest book.... on that note; the quest "Halls of the High Mages" is a really broken quest design, shouldn't the Altar of the High Mages actually have 2 stairwells in it - one to get down into the lower level with the monsters, and another to go down again to exit the quest?
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 20th, 2023, 8:45 pm

Kurgan wrote:I'm just waiting for the time when they say you need to walk up to a treasure chest to get what's inside. I mean, I'm sure a lot people played that way...

I still play that way, and it makes much more sense from a quest design perspective too to force players into specific squares
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » March 20th, 2023, 9:15 pm

Maalicia_Ironhoof wrote:Carry-over from the Re: PROPHECY OF TELOR discussion thread...

I'll be grabbing the retail - assuming it has tiles for Halls of the High Mages & The Arena of Misildia, and others along with a corrected quest book.... on that note; the quest "Halls of the High Mages" is a really broken quest design, shouldn't the Altar of the High Mages actually have 2 stairwells in it - one to get down into the lower level with the monsters, and another to go down again to exit the quest?

Well, not fully sure about the problem, but in my opinion it is not needed another stairs tile. It is true the room design is a bit rare but I think the designer intention was considering such stairs a more stretch one than usual, since only one figure could be there. This could justify that the same stair continue downstairsby occuping only 4 squares. If the heroes want to exit the quest through it I think they just should step on the tile and declare their intention as usual, as secondary use for this tile (primary use of it is going down to the Altar room from the upper gallery).

In other words, I think only one tile is needed, but maybe the texts at quest notes should be more clarifying than they are written now.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 20th, 2023, 10:10 pm

HispaZargon wrote:
Maalicia_Ironhoof wrote:Carry-over from the Re: PROPHECY OF TELOR discussion thread...

Well, not fully sure about the problem, but in my opinion it is not needed another stairs tile. It is true the room design is a bit rare but I think the designer intention was considering such stairs a more stretch one than usual, since only one figure could be there. This could justify that the same stair continue downstairsby occuping only 4 squares. If the heroes want to exit the quest through it I think they just should step on the tile and declare their intention as usual, as secondary use for this tile (primary use of it is going down to the Altar room from the upper gallery).

In other words, I think only one tile is needed, but maybe the texts at quest notes should be more clarifying than they are written now.

yeah I did initially think that, but I'm on the fence about it - I almost like the idea of having no stairway and forcing a hero to jump down
"A hero may jump into the room below but loses 1 Body Point."

there is also no reason to visit any of the other rooms once you reach the arena, it literally could be over in less than 5mins:

- Starting corridor
- room A
- adjoining room
- corridor C
- gallery/Altar of the high mages (with no monsters as they have to be trigered in room "E").
- descend down the stairs/quest exit.

you can finish it, with a minimum encounter of 3 monsters. and 27 squares of movement.

There is no forced pathway to ensure the hero's even come to any of the rooms "D" to be revealed the info "Go beneath the altar room, to the Arena of Misildia.” which leads into the next quest, or to the room E that triggers the monsters in the Altar of the high mages (Do not place out the monsters until the heroes trigger the summoning in room E).

I haven't hit this quest book yet with my new group, I'm glad I'm digging into it now rather than on the fly and having a shocking group game because of it.
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 31st, 2023, 7:24 pm

While not particularly an Errata, Has anyone picked apart how poor the premise and flow of Quest 9 & 10 is for Frozen horror... there is no prompt for exploration as the premise tells you entirely that; here's the frozen horror, but don't bother to try and get him because hes behind a door that cant be opened unless you take the spiral staircase to the Frozen Catacombs (quest 10) to find the key to get to him, and then come back and kill him.... the whole thing comes across as a "draft note" about what needs to happen in the quest but didn't actually come back to complete it (also a lot of the other FH quests do similar in saying enter through the iron door and exit through wooden exit door).... seems really bland for setting up any sort of atmosphere for the players...
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 31st, 2023, 9:33 pm

Another thing of not that I've found doing my "correction project" is that across ALL of the re-releases, is that they refer to the ARMORY not the new equipment cards.

This will be corrected in my next revisions
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Nlinindoll » March 31st, 2023, 11:21 pm

Maalicia_Ironhoof wrote:Another thing of not that I've found doing my "correction project" is that across ALL of the re-releases, is that they refer to the ARMORY not the new equipment cards.

This was discussed previously here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5834&start=110#p115942

The 2021 rulebook section “A Trip to the Armory” specifically defined the Equipment Cards as the Armory.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » April 1st, 2023, 12:15 am

Nlinindoll wrote:
Maalicia_Ironhoof wrote:Another thing of not that I've found doing my "correction project" is that across ALL of the re-releases, is that they refer to the ARMORY not the new equipment cards.

This was discussed previously here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5834&start=110#p115942

The 2021 rulebook section “A Trip to the Armory” specifically defined the Equipment Cards as the Armory.

Ah damn! I have read this whole thread, but that was a few months back and forgot about this! I'll still adjust them for my updates, for consistency and clarity.

I'm curious if now that we will have a potions deck (to come with Rise of the Deadmoon) if that will also fall under the "Armory" or in quests it be refereed to specifically as the potions deck
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » April 1st, 2023, 8:28 pm

The Japanese version also used Equipment cards and referring to it collectively as the Armory back in 1991. As the remake explains this, I don't consider it an errata (though I would have loved to see a graphical "menu" like the 1990 NA edition as well, they had the space in the box to do it, the cheap way would have just been to print a page with images of all the cards on it, similar to the beginning and ending of each of the quest books).

I wouldn't say that dull or bland quest design is really an "errata" more like a review.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext