• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Postby The1Lion » December 6th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Kurgan wrote:Especially if they are planning to remake the BQP which features the rule. So we'll have two different interpretations of Heroes with 0 MP, again like the old days.

Actually 3 now! I just saw on page 4 of Prophecy of Telor that a hero is considered unconscious if BP as reduced to zero. Not only that, but monsters will not take an unconscious players items. Another hero can cast a spell or use a potion to revive an unconscious player. Complete reversal of the rules.
The1Lion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby therealshrek » December 6th, 2021, 6:57 pm

I saw the Mind = ) thing as more complicated. Yes it has a different rule in two places in the original game,
but it was being used 2 different ways, so I used both, depending on what why your Mind Points dropped.

Likewise, I used the Orc Brawling Rules from White Dwarf for Warhammer Quest to do the same thing with
Body Points. "Bruise Damage" like from fist fights could only make you pass out. And likewise, dropping to
zero hit points from damage was not the same as being dropped below zero. You were unconscious, but not yet dead.
Which was also introduced in the older game expansions.
therealshrek

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Sinned » December 10th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Pancho wrote: the orc Sigill is referred to as “they” for some reason.

Must be the pronoun hype a certain group wants to shove in everyones face.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » December 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm

The1Lion wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Especially if they are planning to remake the BQP which features the rule. So we'll have two different interpretations of Heroes with 0 MP, again like the old days.

Actually 3 now! I just saw on page 4 of Prophecy of Telor that a hero is considered unconscious if BP as reduced to zero. Not only that, but monsters will not take an unconscious players items. Another hero can cast a spell or use a potion to revive an unconscious player. Complete reversal of the rules.

just consider it a quest note
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 10th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Yeah, like she said above, that's a special case.

I would simply make an executive decision before the quest begins as Zargon and either go with the KK/ROTWL classic rule (they're out of the quest, possibly dead) or the EQP/BQP classic rule ("in shock") and decide if you want to allow them to "recover" (that is, if Mind Points are brought ABOVE zero by any means, they become "alive" again).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 11th, 2021, 1:38 am

SPOILERS:

List of Artifact Locations for this quest book:

Quest 2: Anti-Poison Quill (repeat from ROTWL)
Quest 3: Talisman of Lore (repeat from GS, if you don't already have it)
Quest 4: Rabbit Boots (repeat from ROTWL)
Quest 4: Spell Scroll: Courage (repeat from KK/ROTWL)
Quest 5: Phantom Blade
Quest 6: Dust of Disappearance (repeat from ROTWL)
Quest 7: Spell Scroll: Fire of Wrath (repeat from KK/ROTWL)
Quest 7: Spell Scroll: Tempest (repeat from KK)
Quest 7: Orc's Bane (repeat from GS, if you don't already have it, ANY hero may use it apparently even the Wizard in this quest at least)
Quest 8: Wizard's Staff (repeat from GS, if you don't already have it)
Quest 9: Fortune's Longsword
Quest 10: Borin's Armor (repeat from GS, doesn't say if you don't have it already so this could be a second copy!)
Quest 11: Elixir of Life (repeat from GS, even if you already have one)
Quest 12: Wizard's Cloak (repeat from GS, doesn't say if you don't have it already so this could be a second copy... good if you have the Warlock with you)
Quest 13: Spell Ring (repeat from GS, doesn't say if they don't have it already so this could be a second copy... useful for any magic user!)

SPOILERS

Prophecy of Telor Artifact Locations
Spirit Queen's Torment Artifact Locations
Crypt of Perpetual Darkness Artifact Locations
Last edited by Kurgan on September 22nd, 2023, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 11th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Pancho wrote:The story sounds *lemony goodness* to be honest. Sounds like the writer has either never played Heroquest or has a big enough ego/delusion that he thinks he can do better.

In your opinions how easy would it be to change the story so that the good orcs ( :cry: ) are completely replaced by another race? Humans from Bretonnia, or Tilea, for example, or even Norsemen?
Bretonnians could be a good option because they have a strong tradition of chivalry (for the Bard) and it lies right on the border of the Elven realm.

We know in the original lore Goblins were slaves of Orcs in many cases, so they would be a put upon group. But yes, you could easily substitute just about anything for the "friendly" Orcs if you wanted. The only thing is that in some cases you'll encounter them and not realize they're allies yet (that is, they're blended into the monster groups you encounter). So it might be a little less of a surprise if there is one human sitting there in a room with a bunch of Orcs. BUT if you have a few spare mercs, we've all seen that these guys can be used as good OR bad in official quests, so making one of them a turncoat/traitor/prisoner-forced-to-fight would work. A similar thing happens in the Elf Quests where you can have some of the elven soldiers switch sides. Using your imagination you could do whatever you liked.

Let me give an example of a comparable scenario... you enter a room and there are three "enemy" mercs. Two crossbowmen and a swordsman. Turns out the swordsman is a defector. If you can detect him (that is, pause a moment before you take out the whole group like normal), he'll fight for your side.

We've known all along that the good guys in HQ span a variety of peoples, as do the forces of Chaos. Not all elves and humans are good and so forth. I would say the change would be quite easy, and if you wanted to tie it into some greater story you could do that too with a little effort. It's just that gameplay wise they're going t have Orc-like stats if you want to keep the difficulty the same.

The generic "they" I presume is because since there are now explicitly female Orc models, whatever you have left is used for the character so it's a placeholder (could be male or female). I wouldn't personally read any more into it. It's probably the way reason they make Zargon's gender unspecified (because it could be a little girl playing the GM). Frankly I'm all for imagination and "playing a role" but that's me, I'm guessing that was their thought process there. The original KK I believe had one Fimir that could cast rust spells and they referred to the Fimir as "it" which is odd (all the others are referred to in the generic masculine). In Warhammer fantasy lore I discover that magic using Fimirs are usually female. So who knows.

But back in the day we didn't worry about that so much. We used the Chaos Warlock to represent Sir Ragnar and nobody batted an eye. "Hey there sir, glad we rescued you, but why are you dressed like the Witch Lord and holding your arms up like that?" "Oh, no reason..." The miniatures were cool but meant as placeholders for whatever your imagination saw that character as, within the generic framework of what it was meant to be (Orc, Barbarian, Zombie, wounded knight, etc). Maybe your Barbarian had a mohawk haircut and a scar across his chest. Maybe that Orc had an eyepatch and a funny tattoo. Maybe the elf had blue gray eyes...
But if we can sell you more minis... :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » December 20th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Does Sigill have stats? I didn't see a set anywhere.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 20th, 2021, 6:54 pm

All the Orc allies have regular Orc stats. The only time the Bard figures in is the first time another Hero dies he replaces them (otherwise he isn't used at all unless someone wanted to start the campaign with him).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 23rd, 2022, 6:54 pm

SPOILERS!

If you want a corrected version of the quests,
I prepared one

Sorry, it may be the old version of Heroquest, not using the new symbols.
The Quest Map files in old style, error-corrected, readable by Heroscribe.

Have fun!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items