• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Postby HispaZargon » November 12th, 2021, 1:36 pm

Hi, I finally have also calculations for Spirit Queen's Torment. According to my dificulty model current prototype, this new quespack seems to have a total difficulty similar to ROTWL expansion. These new quests average difficulty resulted slightly higher than Game System quests or Prophecy of Telor quests. Honestly, there are so many quests in Spirit Queen's Torment quite difficult to define a relative analysis rules for them since they include new rules for mosters or rules that affect the whole quest map like water, wind, etc but those are the best results I can obtain today.

I will post as soon as posible more info about these results, in order to have a bigger picture of all the expansions, including those new ones, from a quantitative difficulty point of view

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » November 14th, 2021, 4:24 am

manaknight14 wrote:Hey everybody, longtime lurker here but I finally made an account because I saw an issue that nobody seems to be addressing here nor in the errata thread.

Quest 8 mentions that all monsters deal damage to heroes' mind points instead of body points. However, it never states what the MP damage actually does when you hit 0. MP effects are usually situation-specific, correct? Borokk from KK can kill you with MP damage while Bellthor from RotWL just knocks you unconscious, but each of those describe the effect as specific to that character's attack. Given that this expansion uses NA rules, the closest thing I can think of as a "default" 0MP effect would be the "shock" rules from the Barbarian and Elf packs, but that would make Quest 8 a joke. The only way to fail would be accumulating damage from hazards drawn during treasure searches and the single spear trap on the map. However, that system would make Quest 9 pretty interesting, since only the orcs there do MP damage while the other monsters are normal.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't think the shock rule would work as it isn't avaliable in the Spirit Queen's Torment Quest Pack. As SQT lacks a specific rule for zero Mind Points, I'd look to the Instruction Booklet for a default. There's something, but it's weak sauce.

Instruction Booklet, p.11 wrote:(found under A Glimpse Into The World Of Hero Quest)
. . . Will you survive the battles against my monster forces, or will your Body and mind be forever weakened?. . .

A hero that is reduced to zero Body Points is forever weakened because he's dead. It then follows that a Hero that is reduced to zero Mind Points is also forever weakened and is likewise dead.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 14th, 2021, 11:08 am

Dead or unconscious... out of the quest certainly, but there's a difference between having to create a new character (if you don't have the Elixir of Life) and having the other heroes drag your body out of the quest and being whole again for the next one, if you're lucky.

Since the quest didn't say, they must have been assuming a general rule and since there is no general rule, it's anyone's guess, like you said. Zargon will have to decide. I'd be in favor of unconscious, lacking an official clarification. As opposed to just going full evil and saying their body not only explodes, but the shrapnel from the explosion also kills the other heroes. :twisted: Sorry, what we talking about again? :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Odanan » November 25th, 2021, 2:17 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Hi, I finally have also calculations for Spirit Queen's Torment. According to my dificulty model current prototype, this new quespack seems to have a total difficulty similar to ROTWL expansion. These new quests average difficulty resulted slightly higher than Game System quests or Prophecy of Telor quests. Honestly, there are so many quests in Spirit Queen's Torment quite difficult to define a relative analysis rules for them since they include new rules for mosters or rules that affect the whole quest map like water, wind, etc but those are the best results I can obtain today.

I will post as soon as posible more info about these results, in order to have a bigger picture of all the expansions, including those new ones, from a quantitative difficulty point of view

Cool! I'm looking forward for this.
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » November 25th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Odanan wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:Hi, I finally have also calculations for Spirit Queen's Torment. According to my dificulty model current prototype, this new quespack seems to have a total difficulty similar to ROTWL expansion. These new quests average difficulty resulted slightly higher than Game System quests or Prophecy of Telor quests. Honestly, there are so many quests in Spirit Queen's Torment quite difficult to define a relative analysis rules for them since they include new rules for mosters or rules that affect the whole quest map like water, wind, etc but those are the best results I can obtain today.

Cool! I'm looking forward for this.

Hi Odanan, you can check this post and the rest of that thread for more info about it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:

Postby mhicks1778 » December 1st, 2021, 11:49 pm

Ran Quest 7 in reverse as standalone. “Lit” them up 3 x’s in the first room! haha!! Added warlock and warrior to alchemist room with all dread spells! Some traps and man was it a battle with lots of healing going on! Added a couple items to boost the heroes so that I could give the one time players a little taste of everything and hook them in! Bard replaced the dwarf and helped the team greatly, to my surprise. Dropped the exit door in their final hallway, but didn’t unlock until they searched entire dungeon. It was a fantastic quest!
mhicks1778

Hero:

Postby The1Lion » December 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm

A bit late to this discussion, but here are my thoughts...

An orc bard is odd but I guess it's also unique. Doesn't seem there would be much in orc culture to encourage one to be a bard so he must have been raised outside orc culture perhaps?

Good orcs vs Evil orcs isn't truly new. I had Rune Quest Griffin Island that had an orc run town where humans and orcs lived. I don't think it's a big deal and although I skimmed through the quest book, I don't think it specifically says they were "good" so perhaps neutral?

Finally, on the zero mind points the NA rules presented in the Frozen Horror Quest says the hero is in shock and uses 1 red die for movement, 1 attack die and two defend die. Against the Ogre Horde states the hero is unconscious and out of play the rest of the quest. I think they'll stick with the NA version although I could not find a reference in the new rules or quest. I only found a reference to unconscious heroes in the Prophecy of Telor quest book which just stated something to the point if all heroes are unconscious, the quest is over.
The1Lion

Postby JackieX » December 6th, 2021, 3:26 pm

The1Lion wrote:I only found a reference to unconscious heroes in the Prophecy of Telor quest book which just stated something to the point if all heroes are unconscious, the quest is over.

In Prophecy of Telor, Page 18: "If the bearer unconscious and all ohter heroes are dead, the Quest is over."
JackieX

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby The1Lion » December 6th, 2021, 3:32 pm

JackieX wrote:
The1Lion wrote:I only found a reference to unconscious heroes in the Prophecy of Telor quest book which just stated something to the point if all heroes are unconscious, the quest is over.

In Prophecy of Telor, Page 18: "If the bearer unconscious and all ohter heroes are dead, the Quest is over."

Yes, that's it

I find it interesting that the term unconscious was used instead of "shock" which is what they used in the old NA packs for barbarian and elf. I admit I did just quickly skim through looking for references during my lunch break so I may try to find time for a more detailed read after work.
The1Lion

Postby Kurgan » December 6th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Especially if they are planning to remake the BQP which features the rule. So we'll have two different interpretations of Heroes with 0 MP, again like the old days.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext