• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Remake HeroQuest: What's next?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

What should Hasbro Remake in Hero Quest Next? (besides the Frozen Horror which is almost a given)

Elf Quest Pack!
25%
European packs Against the Ogre Horde, Wizards of Morcar and Advanced Quest: the Dark Company
24%
Dave Morris (novel) quests
4%
Marvel Comics Winter Special
4%
A Plague of Zombies (Adventure Design Kit)-- make it "canon"!
7%
White Dwarf Magazine quests
4%
Finish & Release the "Dwarf" and "Wizard" Quest packs we never got!
19%
Enough of the Remakes... something totally new, but fitting with the game world already established.
9%
Make GamesWorkShop a Deal... get Warhammer Fantasy elements back in somehow (Fimirs, Chaos Warriors, etc)
4%
Leave well enough alone... just let the fans create the new stuff.
No votes

Total votes : 75

Re: Remake HeroQuest: What's next?

Postby Kurgan » November 20th, 2021, 12:14 am

Those sound like cool ideas they could use... and if they don't for some fans to make! I painted a mini someone had 3d printed of a mirror with liquid chrome so you could actually see the reflection of the mini in it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby QorDaq » November 22nd, 2021, 7:16 pm

A couple of thoughts here.

While I am absolutely in the "Reprint it all" camp, I do not expect any fixes to previous content. Given that typos and odd inclusions made it from the 1990 ed. of the core to the 2021 ed., it seems just as likely that FH will not get cleaned up either. And were that to be the case, MotM could probably suffer similarly. Regardless, I'd still want all of it.

With that said, *IF* WoM... er WoZ and AtOH could be made (within the context of licensing), I actually think that Hasbro would have more cause to rewrite those expansions since they'd have to be (if minorly), adapted to NA rules... So? Maybe?

I think it's more likely, or at least conceivable, given the recent introduction of the Knight Hero Pack, that we could see new Hero and dare we hope, Monster Packs released every so often? Possibly new Quest Packs here and there as well.

After all, we don't yet know what the price point on FH will be (or I don't anyway), but I am going to guess somewhere in the $40-50 Range. That's expensive for folks who don't "Know" what it is. Whereas, smaller boxes with a couple of Hero or Monster minis in them at the $15-25 could sucker in the uninitiated just for the cool factor.

In short, if Hasbro has the will, they can strike while the proverbial iron is hot, and pretty much release anything with the HQ brand stamped on it. We'll probably buy it. That won't last forever though, as it remains to be seen, I think, as to whether or not HQ is going to bring in a new audience. If it is a brand that is only going to appeal to the previously converted, it's quite possible that this revitalization may be rather short-lived.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 22nd, 2021, 11:18 pm

Here's a crazy thought... to make the Frozen Horror more palatable, they could introduce new "hero" packs of OP characters to compensate for the challenge (easier than rewriting the quest book and rules).

Like a warrior with 12 body points and starts with a big weapon and armor (and who can reverse bear hugs with his strength). A pile of new artifacts. Maybe a character with spells that are twice as powerful or can be used more than once. Maybe Mercs with four body points each?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 27th, 2022, 7:56 pm

Looks like I was pretty wrong except the "pile of artifacts" thing! So my predictions are the EQP and maybe some kind of Advanced HeroQuest supplement (might be wishful thinking) in addition to what we already know (official retail release of Frozen Horror and Rogue Heir of Elethorn hero pack).

They'll probably release in remake form whatever legacy material they can, plus new stuff in between, in alternating fashion. But word is that we'll find out much more at Gencon in a week...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » August 1st, 2022, 12:28 pm

[quote="QorDaq"]
While I am absolutely in the "Reprint it all" camp, I do not expect any fixes to previous content. Given that typos and odd inclusions made it from the 1990 ed. of the core to the 2021 ed., it seems just as likely that FH will not get cleaned up either. And were that to be the case, MotM could probably suffer similarly. Regardless, I'd still want all of it.[/qupte]

Hindsight being what it is… I'd say you're generally right that at least EQP will be released as it was. Any patches needed will be bolted on to the side like they did with BQP. When they get around to DQP/WQP (oh yeah, I think they're going to do it), who knows what/how they'll go about it since those were never finished. They might do something from scratch to avoid cannibalizing AtOH and WoM too much, even though that was the original attention back in the day, which make adapting those expansions easier.

I don't really have any insider knowledge to base that on. We know that HQ2021 was a passion project at Avalon Hill. I don't think it's intended to be a secret that literally a couple of guys at AH really wanted to bring it back for its 30th anniversary. It smashed their expectation, but it didn't quite nuke them from orbit (there were goals that weren't quite met before funding ended…) But the folks at Avalon Hill watch places like the Inn. (Hi guys! :redheart:) And they saw that there were people who were bummed they missed out on this one shot crowdfunding thing. Like … a lot of people! So they decided to see what it would do at retail.

Nobody's sharing sales data, so if you ask me how many people are trying to get this game, I don't know—a lot. How do I know the answe is a lot? Because freaking AMAZON winds up not having it in stock for 2-3 weeks at a time on a regular basis.Other Amazon sellers, sure, but not Amazon themselves. Which … don't pay a scalper for it unless you seriously have patience problems, because you don't have to. Avalon Hill IS making enough copies to go around.

But they were surprised how big it was with the Pulse, they were surprised how many people wanted in on the Pulse and didn't get it, they were surprised how many people wanted it at retail in the first several months until they could crank production to match. They were surprised how many people wanted a little collector figure that was entirely new/modern content. By now, they've gotten the message: HeroQuest has become big enough in just two years that it went from a couple guys who reeeeeally wanted to do this thing to being a big part of Hasbro's GenCon presence because more than half the D&D players are happily sitting down for a "quick" game of HeroQuest and having a blast!

They're a bunch of gamers themselves, so they're stoked the response has been this massive! And while I'm not saying they'll reprint literally everything HQ ever produced … but if at some point a sticker book gets announced, I won't be shocked.

Will they release AtOH and WoM? If the demand is there, I bet they'll give it a shot. It might take more changes than the released US quests, but they can do that if needed.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » August 2nd, 2022, 7:28 pm

I hope Avalon Hill releases more online quests or even mini quest packs (3 to 5 quests maybe) for free download from their website. I would like if they reuse tiles and/or mechanics from the normal quest packs. Things like the long stairways, trap door tunnels, the boulder, and the mysterious new Statue and Bone Pile tiles from Keller’s Keep expansion for example.

I would also like to see artifacts themed after the original heroes mentioned in the introduction, like Rogar’s Sword, Telor’s Staff, etc.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Markus Darwath » December 18th, 2022, 3:28 am

I have never actually seen the WoM or AtOH expansions (being in the U.S.) But given that the BQP and EQP were reproduced with the subtitles "The Frozen Horror" and "Mage of the Mirror" respectively as their full titles, it wouldn't surprise me if the new version DQP is "Against the Ogre Hoard" and the WQP is "Wizards of Zargon." But again, I don't know anything about how much rework would be needed to make these into re-release/un-released two-fers.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby Markus Darwath » December 18th, 2022, 3:43 am

Also, just wanted to mention... as one of those who didn't learn about the kickstart until well after the retail release, I absolutely want the opportunity at some point to buy a retail version of the Mythic tier content. It wouldn't bother me if they need to alter the sculpts and such to maintain the uniqueness of the original pledge materials. I also want a Guardian Knights box, again, even if they have to alter it a little from the "limited release" that was done and gone before I even knew HQ had been re-made.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion