• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Poll] What Rules do you play?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

What rule set do you go by when playing HeroQuest?

European
17%
European with some added homebrew
20%
North American
10%
North American with some added homebrew
50%
Totally homebrew (so different that it's not really HeroQuest anymore).
3%

Total votes : 30

[Poll] What Rules do you play?

Postby drathe » January 2nd, 2011, 2:00 pm

I'm curious to know what Rule System most people play. I used to play North American rules by the book. In the past year I've been tinkering with some homebrew rules and have incorporated them into my latest games. They seem to greatly improve an already fun game.

What rules do you play?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What Rules do you play?

Postby el_flesh » January 4th, 2011, 10:18 am

Over the course of less than a year it morphed into something entirely different. We were already modding the rules with the first play, practically, with the DM deciding events using a roll...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: [Poll] What Rules do you play?

Postby Pugahla_272 » March 15th, 2011, 2:10 pm

We play UK rules with maybe 1 or 2 homebrew rules, but now we are starting to incorporate US stuff like chaos spells.
Look for my signature below
Look for my signature above
Pugahla_272

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 23rd, 2013, 1:48 pm

European with added homebrew:
cards I remade into EU format from US sets (chaos spells, expansion artifatcs / scrolls / potions / equipment etc.), custom quests with new monsters (haven't played those yet). etc.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 23rd, 2013, 2:23 pm

I play NA rules and I'm a bit of a purist. Every time I've added a house rule, I've found that it doesnt work as well as I'd hoped so I wind going back to the simplicity of the original rules. I've always allowed heroes to search each room for treasure only one time (as opposed to ionce per hero), but that was due to an oversight on my part rather than a desire to deviate from the official rules.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 23rd, 2013, 2:34 pm

I find the NA rulebook more logical and more fun to play tactically.
I add a lot of things, monsters, skills, markers... mostly from other boardgames
plus I change rules (less so) or improve/rewrite them to clarify and diversify monster behavior and events (more so).

The reason I consider us still playing HeroQuest using my houserules is I haven't changed the game mechanics.
I kept the dice* and the innermost workings of the game (like the gameboard).
It's not Vanilla, but I splash a little logic and realism in there.

When [If?!] my houserules are finished, they are probably going to be modular like Biff's Dungeon Crawl.
Use or don't use however you will.
Fully used it's most likely going to become a Skirmish-based RPG played out with minis.
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » January 23rd, 2013, 3:19 pm

When we play HQ with the kids we use European rules only. There seems to be less chance of them dying when they do something stupid.
Without the kids we mix in body points and chaos spells from the US rules to spice things up a bit.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » January 23rd, 2013, 4:28 pm

Oooh! Thread necromancy!
I see I've already voted long time ago, but allow me to elaborate.

We play basically European HQ. We only house rule when the rules are not specific. Like switching equipment etc.

We do have a few "real" house rules though. Once the heroes are champions we switch to US bodypoints, and we import all bosses from US too (multiple BPs, chaos spells etc.). Everyone were extremely disappointed when the first boss was insta-killed due to only having 1 BP!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion