• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby Kurgan » March 7th, 2021, 2:19 pm

I see and respect the fears many have about how these little hints may impact the direction of the franchise (or whether its just a one-off affair).

Hero Quest, whatever the original intentions, is not now a "stepping stone" or "gateway drug" to "other games." It IS the thing, an end in itself. It isn't a set of "training wheels" for Hasbro's latest D&D and shouldn't be. It's a game that means a lot to fans like those in this community and we won't take kindly to it being ruined or taken for granted, certainly not.

Hasbro has been priding itself on appealing to nostalgia... promoting itself as providing "really cool versions" of the games and toys of the past for grown up consumers, to introduce beloved entertainment to their children. So its important that they get it right, not just use it as a gimmick to boost their other brands, which will backfire anyway if it sucks.

For that reason I hope it is as good as it can be, and we all know that it won't quite live up to what we all want, partly due to legal issues and partly due to the people running it, unfortunately. If they do right by the community, I hope it will send a message to other franchises on how to do remakes properly. If it fails in that regard, I hope it serve as a warning of what not to do. But for the sake of our wallets I hope for the former, rather than the latter!

As I've said a million times by now, that's another reason for the nitpicking unboxings, to save some people forfeiting their refunds. Whether its angry people who rip open their boxes and find manure instead of gold they were expecting, or a mass of refunds processed by Hasbro/AvalonHill, it will send the message to them that they did something wrong, and that will get their attention as to how to handle things in the future. As a community we are helping each other and in turn helping them, to make better decisions.

If it wasn't clear before I agree with those who have a problem with the Orc Bard as presented so far. I see many ways around this problem too.

The Orc Bard might be an anomaly, or it could be the tip of the iceberg. Again, I hope for the best, but prepare for the "worst" (first world problems, am I right?).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Cael Darkhollow » March 7th, 2021, 7:47 pm

I don't believe HeroQuest will be further developed as a product line. We got what we are going to get, a revamped reissue (actually a reboot) to sate nostalgia (hopefully), pick up a few new fans, and to make a few bucks for Hasbro.

The setting and style were stripped by necessity which led to incompatible to the HQ game design anomalies like the Orc Bard by contributors completely unfamiliar with the original game. I'm sure the new quest books will take similar wrong turns, but it isn't the tip of the icberg, this is it.
I doubt if the rerelease will ever even see retail (besides a few hobby shops that backed the fundraiser for resale), let alone future products. Few people will own the new version beyond the original backers. Hasbro has given no indication that they plan to do anything else with it.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Davane » March 7th, 2021, 8:27 pm

I fear that you might be right, Cael, but I hope that I am wrong.

Kurgan quoted the mantra of the cynical idealist (that, ironically, forms the basis of all cognitive behavioural therapy, so apparently we are doing it right!?) - "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

I think that, in the worst case scenario, it may fall down to us and other fans to preserve HQ for future generations, and to develop it into what it ought to be.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Daedalus » March 8th, 2021, 1:08 am

According to this Polygon interview,

Update (Sept. 23, 11:44 a.m. EDT): The campaign for the revised version of HeroQuest is officially a success. The game will be made, and, according to O’Rourke, that means it will also show up on store shelves in 2021.

This may only may not happen, but the intent was declared. So there is a reasonable chance of retail release--good news!

Even if Avalon Hill balks and nothing comes of retail release, this failure could one day lead to a new version as Restoration Games has already registered a related trademark. One day, Avalon Hill/Hasbro may again decide to cash in and license the IP. This has been done before in Brazil and Japan.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Davane » March 8th, 2021, 1:39 am

Daedalus wrote:According to this Polygon interview,

Update (Sept. 23, 11:44 a.m. EDT): The campaign for the revised version of HeroQuest is officially a success. The game will be made, and, according to O’Rourke, that means it will also show up on store shelves in 2021.

This may only may not happen, but the intent was declared. So there is a reasonable chance of retail release--good news!

Even if Avalon Hill balks and nothing comes of retail release, this failure could one day lead to a new version as Restoration Games has already registered a related trademark. One day, Avalon Hill/Hasbro may again decide to cash in and license the IP. This has been done before in Brazil and Japan.

The success of the campaign and a retail release does not guarantee follow up support, let alone any significant new content. Plus, there's also the issue with global release - there were still many places that couldn't get the Hasbro reprint, as Hasbro were both slow and rather selective in getting other outlets to sell HQ, and even then only after a significant outcry from the community that were missing out.

Sounds stupid, but if Hasbro were going for retail in the Fall, you'd expect to see something "coming soon" on Amazon, especially since Amazon is likely to be the only company left worth shopping with at this rate!
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » March 8th, 2021, 1:55 am

Davane wrote:Kurgan quoted the mantra of the cynical idealist (that, ironically, forms the basis of all cognitive behavioural therapy, so apparently we are doing it right!?) - "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Bah. I am a "pessimism is the only true optimism" kinda guy.
By constantly expecting the worst (and preparing for that eventuality), I literally can never be dissapointed or caught off guard by having my expectations fall short, I can only be pleasantly surprised when things turn out better than I expect.

people who hope for the best usually are constantly disappointed when the reality doesn't meet "their best" expectations. Prepare for the worst is good advice I always follow though.
Not sayin' don't look through your rose tinted glasses, just saying the world tends to be a little gloomier than
always winning.
I'll meet you half way and hope that I'm wrong too, even though I don't believe so.
It will be fun to look at, set up, play test, or read through at least. Always could use a back up for game sessions with ruffians, nephews or their ilk that wouldn't respect the sanctity of a vintage HQ.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Davane » March 8th, 2021, 2:00 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:
Davane wrote:Kurgan quoted the mantra of the cynical idealist (that, ironically, forms the basis of all cognitive behavioural therapy, so apparently we are doing it right!?) - "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Bah. I am a "pessimism is the only true optimism" kinda guy.
By constantly expecting the worst (and preparing for that eventuality), I literally can never be dissapointed or caught off guard by having my expectations fall short, I can only be pleasantly surprised when things turn out better than I expect.

people who hope for the best usually are constantly disappointed when the reality doesn't meet "their best" expectations. Prepare for the worst is good advice I always follow though.
Not sayin' don't look through your rose tinted glasses, just saying the world tends to be a little gloomier than
always winning.
I'll meet you half way and hope that I'm wrong too, even though I don't believe so.
It will be fun to look at, set up, play test, or read through at least. Always could use a back up for game sessions with ruffians, nephews or their ilk that wouldn't respect the sanctity of a vintage HQ.

That's where the hoping comes in. Sure, you might be disappointed a lot, but you get better results if you go in with a positive mindset, especially if you have significant control over the outcome. Alas, we don't have much significant control in this case, so disappointment is more likely, but there's always RandoQuest!

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » March 8th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Davane wrote:. . . Sounds stupid, but if Hasbro were going for retail in the Fall, you'd expect to see something "coming soon" on Amazon, especially since Amazon is likely to be the only company left worth shopping with at this rate!

Well, there may already be some cross-platforming happening with the HeroQuest Card Game. From the AmazonUK page:

Hasbro Gaming wrote:Features & details
HEROQUEST THE CARD GAME: Players try to make it out of the dungeon together in this card game based on the fantasy adventure board game

Given the (lack of) communication from the Pulse campaign, we may be in for a wait for a "coming soon." Perhaps after Avalon Hill rolls a black shield and ends the Dread Sleep spell they profess to be under, a new marketing manager for the project can do his/her job.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Davane » March 8th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Daedalus wrote:Given the (lack of) communication from the Pulse campaign, we may be in for a wait for a "coming soon." Perhaps after Avalon Hill rolls a black shield and ends the Dread Sleep spell they profess to be under, a new marketing manager for the project can do his/her job.

To be quite honest, I can (and have) done a better job than the current project manager. The only impression I am getting is that with everything going on, this just isn't an important project for Hasbro or Avalon Hill...

Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Shadzar » March 9th, 2021, 8:11 am

Daedalus wrote:
Hasbro Gaming wrote:Features & details
HEROQUEST THE CARD GAME: Players try to make it out of the dungeon together in this card game based on the fantasy adventure board game

Given the (lack of) communication from the Pulse campaign, we may be in for a wait for a "coming soon." Perhaps after Avalon Hill rolls a black shield and ends the Dread Sleep spell they profess to be under, a new marketing manager for the project can do his/her job.

Given the state of WotC being made a "HASBRO Division", and the lack of removal of Avalon Hill from the Wizards.com website even with a new logo, you can bet a new "EVERY KIND" of manager is needed for this project to even come to completion.

I am guessing the first shipments to send around August 2023, as COVID will be used as an excuse for delay, even though they began the whole thing during the pandemic.

By then they will still ahve to offer the "orc bard" garbage because it was part of the "stretch" goals. I for one expect the orc bard to arrive so i can record myself melting it with a butane torch for a YT video, if i can come across recording equipment by the time it arrives. Yes, this orc bard is getting the Last Jedi DVD treatment.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items