• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

So if we WERE getting GW miniatures...

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: So if we WERE getting GW miniatures...

Postby whitebeard » October 6th, 2020, 11:20 pm

This is a great thread!

I had forgotten GW created a set of chaos barbarians! And it would seem that Silver Tower on ebay is still the most cost effective way to get the Dark Oath Chieftan.

To really get all of this right, it seems we have to wait for the return of the Old World. So many good matches went out of production very recently... Dwarf Wariors, Elf Glade Guard, and a bunch of champions.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Oftkilted » October 7th, 2020, 8:03 am

The Warhammer Underworlds Godsworn Hunt Image is an excellent option as well for a barbarian style model. And you also get a spell caster model that could be used as a Wizard hero or adversary.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2020, 8:09 am

She actually wouldn't be half bad as a Storm Master from WoM.

I forgot the Wildwood Rangers existed, since they aren't really a supported faction anymore :cry:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 7th, 2020, 11:22 am

There was some talk about base sizes here.

I would love to switch to round bases, but they typically need to be much larger than their square counterparts. I have a couple of barbarians with stances that span to the corners of 25mm square bases. They otherwise need 35mm diameter round bases which is just too crowded even on my reprinted board.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » October 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm

whitebeard wrote:There was some talk about base sizes here.

I would love to switch to round bases, but they typically need to be much larger than their square counterparts. I have a couple of barbarians with stances that span to the corners of 25mm square bases. They otherwise need 35mm diameter round bases which is just too crowded even on my reprinted board.

Sometimes you need to go up a scale. But that could be covered with a 32mm circular base. Often you can fit stuff on a 25mm circular, but the placement gets wonky and you have less edge space to work with.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » October 7th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Oftkilted wrote:
whitebeard wrote:There was some talk about base sizes here.

Sometimes you need to go up a scale. But that could be covered with a 32mm circular base.

Actually it is not. The diagonal of the 25mm base on which the figure's boots over hang by a small fraction, means you need a 35.3 mm diameter round base. Of course this is the size of the bottom of the base and that might not be the whole story... fitting the top surfaces together and aligning on a corner, shows that the square base has an extra 3mm on the diagonal. In SilverTower, the Knight-Questor is given a 40mm base!!! And it looks entirely possible that you could squeeze him onto a 25mm square, making him "playable" on 1 inch boards and easily fitting on my expanded 35mm board.

These days you can custom print bases of any size, but even here, a 35mm base is just too big with other players and doors. It's also nice to put all your heroes on the same size and style base.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » October 9th, 2020, 11:56 am

Wow a 35 mm stance. That’s pretty crazy, what’s the sculpt? I’ve seen some of the GW Khorne Bloodbound sculpts that come on 40mm bases. But the slaughterpriests are seriously huge models. Image
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » October 9th, 2020, 2:46 pm

I do like the look of round bases, but even those 32mm bases will not play on a 1 inch grid (25.4mm), especially if everyone else has 32mm.

My model with a large stance is Dantrag from Reaper http://www.vhaidra-fantasy-miniaturen.de/reaper/miniatures/dantrag-reaper.jpg

My "Ampersand's Barbarian" (Young Wolf from Hasslefree) also has a wide stance. But looking at him again, I'm sure you can get him on a 32mm base. Looks like Ampersand fit him on a 25mm round by building out a bit over the bevel !!! https://somethinginthedungeon.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-barbarian.html

The Silver Tower model is a typical Games Workshop Celestant. This Lord-Celestant for example comes with a 40mm base (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Stormcast-Eternals-Lord-Celestant)

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 12th, 2020, 12:07 am

As I have been collecting GW figures for three decades I would prefer to have ones that weren't too modern and different looking from the GW old design style that HeroQuest embraced. Most of the modern line for Age of Sigmar look too big or bizarre to use in any Warhammer fantasy army of old of any edition or HeroQuest for that matter. Not to mention ridiculously priced for a single figure or small unit. I bought a mere handful of miniatures from GW and none of the game books after the death of Warhammer fantasy. I feel that GW literally price gouged and drastically overdesigned their miniatures to death, not to mention destroyed their setting until most of the veteran fantasy players stopped buying anything from GW. I still buy a few D&D, Frostgrave or reaper minis now and then (I use my miniatures collection for D&D and similar games too.) My miniatures collection is vast so there is little in fantasy mythology I couldn't represent with a figure on the table top. So I would most likely use old models for substitutions rather than anything new. I am a stuck in my ways traditional Dungeon/game master.
I have several to my mind more appropriate choices for any of the new HQ figures that I don't care for, namely the new ridiculous reward unlock bard, warlock and druid, if they ever reach those fund levels anyway.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 12th, 2020, 5:34 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:Most of the modern line for Age of Sigmar look too big

The scale creep is real, but as a painter I can understand and appreciate this :roll:

too...bizarre to use in any Warhammer fantasy army of old of any edition or HeroQuest for that matter.

Yes... Stormcast Eternals don't mesh well with your Bretonnians. Won't even try to argue :lol:
But contained within their own setting, I think most of the minis looks amazing. They have no obligation to make miniatures that mesh with Tolkien and D&D. Why should they? Why be generic, when you can stand out?
When I got over the shock of the End Times, I realized this is a much more "Heavy Metal" setting. It's closer to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, than Tolkien. But it's doing it's own thing. I can get behind that.
Once you let go of the past, you can enjoy the future.

Not to mention ridiculously priced for a single figure or small unit.

Yes, GW models are some of the most expensive on the marked.
But (and I know I'm gonna sound like a fanboy) they straight up do make the best miniatures. The plastic is incredible to work with, and the designs are unique and instantly recognizable as GW.
There's a reason 3rd party companies just can't stop making copyright infringing knock off minis.
Are the prices justified? Not quite, but you ARE getting better miniatures than Frostgrave can offer.

not to mention destroyed their setting until most of the veteran fantasy players stopped buying anything from GW.

Literally nobody will ever say "Boy, am I glad they finally destroyed the Fantasy setting".
But I can understand why. Now every race/faction is distinctly GW specific.
Bretonnia were literally my mom's medieval France. It's not hard to understand why they were an unpopular army.
Anyways the actual game is very good, with a nice influx of new players. The stubborn veterans don't know what they are missing.

The Old World was very rich and fleshed out. Because it had been developed over 30 years.
The AoS setting has had kind of a rocky start, but don't worry. It'll get fleshed out as well over time. I'll say even now it's well on it's way.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion