• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

So if we WERE getting GW miniatures...

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

So if we WERE getting GW miniatures...

Postby Goblin-King » September 28th, 2020, 4:31 pm

This is just a speculative thread. If I were to replace all the miniatures in HQ with current modern Games Workshop miniatures, which minis would fit the best? Which would YOU use?

Barbarian (best barbarian miniature ever made...) AND female version as well!

The Elf - Lumineth Auralan Wardens

Dwarf - I debated a lot with myself whether to pick a Fyreslayer or a more traditional dwarf, bur since old school dwarves aren't really getting new stuff, I thought Fyreslayers would fit best with modern GW/HQ.

Wizard - These guys are from way back in Fantasy if I recall correctly. At this point they feel a bit out of place, but Evocators don't fit the glass canon role of the HQ wizard.

The Chaos Warriors from the Start Collecting set are freaking awesome!

Chaos Sorcerer. A bit meh, but it's okay...

Orc Brutes. Warhammer orcs feel way tougher than traditional HQ orcs, but these are the best ones. Still feels like 2-BP monsters...

Moonclan grots for goblins. Not much to debate here.

The skeletons from Warhammer Underworlds are some of the best skeletons in existence! Fight me!

But JEEZE! The zombies were an old kit, even in Warhammer Fantasy! But it's what we got.

No mummies in the Age of Sigmar... Mortek Guards perhaps?

Ironically no fimirs either... Either Rockgut or Fellwater Troggoths. Not really a perfect fit due to their large size. But then again, the old Fimm were troll sized...

And finally A BIG ASS FREAKING BLOODTHIRSTER!!! That thing is huge! HUUUUGE! But look! You can kit him out with old school horns!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: So if we WERE getting GW miniatures...

Postby Goblin-King » September 28th, 2020, 4:40 pm

And a couple of the named characters...

Ulag/Grak

Grawshak - Orc Shaman

Witch Lord

Gulthor

Fanrax - Necromancer

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » September 29th, 2020, 6:26 am

Your selection seems coherent. Personally I like minimalistic miniatures more. Furthermore I prefer one pose per monster type for Heroquest, as it is much more beginner and casual gamer friendly.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 29th, 2020, 7:31 am

Mophus wrote:Personally I like minimalistic miniatures more.

Me too actually. But literally no one is making minimalistic miniature any more... Which is what inspired me to consider what the game would realistically be like with modern GW sculpts.

We got a glimpse of what could have been with the recent Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. It had pretty awesome minis.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Mophus » September 29th, 2020, 8:05 am

Goblin-King wrote:
Mophus wrote:Personally I like minimalistic miniatures more.

Me too actually. But literally no one is making minimalistic miniature any more...

I think, when publishers really want to hit the mass market (beyond geek games like FFG and GW products), they
have to. Look at all the mass market familiy board games which you can get in every toy store - they all have easy to recognise and distinguish minimalistic miniatures/tokens (e. g. Legends of Andor).

I am even planning to build up two squads of napoleonic tin toy soldiers for Song of Drums and Shakos demo gaming: http://www.spencersmithminiatures.co.uk/ There shall be only one pose for every troop type, to help casual gamers to get faster into the game.
Last edited by Mophus on September 29th, 2020, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ajjohnsen » September 29th, 2020, 8:06 am

I think these look really good for the most part, and I'd argue those Orks look like 3 or 4bp monsters! I am 100% behind no repeat poses; for me it just makes it feel like each one is unique and different and not a carbon copy. I'd even argue that they should make different poses for the Heros and you get a random one in your box. This could encourage trading amongst the community, but I guess it also be seen as a money grab since you know people will have to have each pose for the Heros...maybe scrap that idea

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby Goblin-King » September 29th, 2020, 1:05 pm

ajjohnsen wrote:I am 100% behind no repeat poses; for me it just makes it feel like each one is unique and different and not a carbon copy.

I'm also a fan of different poses - but only if the models are distinct enough to avoid confusion.
Different poses even have the advantage of making it easier to remember who has activated and who has taken hits.
It even makes communication easier. "I attack the guy with the spiky helmet".

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » October 6th, 2020, 5:17 pm

While you’re pretty spot on for the GW miniatures, the challenge is that they’re nearly all based on 32mm and 40mm bases.

All of the orcs are 32+.

The Zombies would work well replaced by the “non-tech” Poxwalkers (with a bit of conversion perhaps). Hopefully we’ll see some updated models.

For the goblins, the Ogre Kingdom Gnoblars are quite thematic. But I’d recommend getting the Warhammer Underworlds version of the Night Goblins: Image

The elf really needs to be a wood elf, not a fancy High Elf, like the Lumineth.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Goblin-King » October 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Oftkilted wrote:While you’re pretty spot on for the GW miniatures, the challenge is that they’re nearly all based on 32mm and 40mm bases.

All of the orcs are 32+..

True, but that could be remedied by larger tiles.

Oftkilted wrote:The Zombies would work well replaced by the “non-tech” Poxwalkers.

Good call |_P Those are great minis.

Oftkilted wrote:For the goblins, the Ogre Kingdom Gnoblars are quite thematic. But I’d recommend getting the Warhammer Underworlds version of the Night Goblins:.

All the Underworlds minis are amazing. Only problem with these goblins is that they are almost too unique and different. I just want some spears and swords :D

Oftkilted wrote:The elf really needs to be a wood elf, not a fancy High Elf, like the Lumineth.

Fully agreed... Sadly no such thing exist anymore. High elf, dark elf, murder elf or fish elf. Pick one ;)

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » October 6th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Goblin-King wrote:
Oftkilted wrote:For the goblins, the Ogre Kingdom Gnoblars are quite thematic. But I’d recommend getting the Warhammer Underworlds version of the Night Goblins:.

All the Underworlds minis are amazing. Only problem with these goblins is that they are almost too unique and different. I just want some spears and swords :D

Unless I needed lots of them the smaller number of unique sculpts has my eye. And for sheer numbers the Blood Bowl Scarcrag Snivelers would be my models of choice.

Goblin-King wrote:
Oftkilted wrote:The elf really needs to be a wood elf, not a fancy High Elf, like the Lumineth.

Fully agreed... Sadly no such thing exist anymore. High elf, dark elf, murder elf or fish elf. Pick one ;)

The Wildwood Rangers would work reasonably well in that regards

Or the matching Nomad Prince.

And as I think about it the current range for the Blood Bowl Champions of Undeath team has some awesome zombies.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion