• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » March 19th, 2021, 1:05 pm

If they use the polymer "hard rubber" like Reaper Bones, we won't have to worry about breakage. What we MIGHT have to worry about is the minis getting bent/warped in the box.

I have one of those "fantasy creatures tube" (monsters, etc) sets from Amazon, and these are VERY rubbery, and many of the figures (including skeletons) are very long and spindly with long parts. There are also Unicorns with long legs, etc. The figures are packed together tightly so they get bent and stay bent for ages, and after long storage, you can fix them with boiling water, but they eventually go back into their bent shape.

I doubt we'll have this problem unless they use really cheap, super rubbery material like that. The "break" thing is only a worry with the hard plastic (like classic Hero Quest, where pressure results in stress marks and then actual pieces snapping off) or metal. Reaper Bones Minis DON'T break. They simply bend. And unless you store them bent, they will snap back into shape very easily. Still, I do have some Reaper skeletal guardians that have some really wispy thing sword blades and they tend to get bent just being in the box. Having to dip them before each game is annoying so I just kind of leave them with curved swords. I have a similar issue with my male Paladin. So it would more be an issue with the weapons than the spines, I imagine, in this case.

My skeletons need scythes! But with the unlocks we're a getting a pair of sword & shield (female?) skeletons too.
Last edited by Kurgan on May 28th, 2021, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Shadzar » March 19th, 2021, 1:48 pm

Kurgan wrote:My skeletons need scythes! But with the unlocks we're a getting a pair of sword & shield (female?) skeletons too.

Yes.

Well, maybe? can't see the hips well enough to tell if it is female or not, and i haven't asked its gender prefer... NO, NOT DOING THAT! its a skeleton it doesnt get a gender choice, its SEX is identified by science, and all Skeletons are neither male nor female, they are undead! :evil:

Aside from the Rack, Abominations, freaky Goblins, and ugly Orcs, i have little worry about any other minis because the prototypes from the campaign were good enough for me. And the gargoyle... i will always be unhappy it seems no matter who makes a gargoyle for HQ because of the base-combat thing. The only good gargoyle would have been the unlock that we dont get.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby cornixt » March 19th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Look at the thickness of those thigh-bones. Imagine how beefy the man looked when he was alive. Maybe he is the top half of a human and the bottom half of an orc. And that scythe is pretty impractical for cutting grass or wheat. People are getting more demanding for realistic weapons and armour these days, the looks-cool style is slowly being replaced in other ranges. At least they aren't covered in tiny skull ornaments and emblems.
Last edited by cornixt on March 19th, 2021, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 19th, 2021, 3:09 pm

Shadzar wrote:Well, maybe? can't see the hips well enough to tell if it is female or not, and i haven't asked its gender prefer... NO, NOT DOING THAT! its a skeleton it doesnt get a gender choice, its SEX is identified by science, and all Skeletons are neither male nor female, they are undead! :evil:

Aside from the Rack, Abominations, freaky Goblins, and ugly Orcs, i have little worry about any other minis because the prototypes from the campaign were good enough for me. And the gargoyle... i will always be unhappy it seems no matter who makes a gargoyle for HQ because of the base-combat thing. The only good gargoyle would have been the unlock that we dont get.

I wish you wouldn't talk about sex on these family friendly forums! (j/k) :oops:

I'm joking around but the hips are hidden because it's a skeleton of a female humanoid and it would follow the pattern of the other characters! :mrgreen:

I'm no chemist (or alchemist) but I think the popular plastic choice for model kits in the past is called polystyrene (someone please correct me). It's stiff, and easy to paint but you can bend it, and this causes discoloration stress marks. Keep bending and it breaks off leaving a white flaky jagged surface.

This compared to resin where it is hard, almost like porcelain, but when broken splits clean off, almost like crystal glass.

There was this other type of plastic I grew up with, many toys (like army men or dinosaurs, not the big vinyl rubber ones but the little plastic ones you got in bags at the grocery store or the Invicta British Museum replicas sold in gift shops) had it, where it was hard, solid, you could see the wrinkle lines sometimes where it was injected into a mould. It was like super hard wax, and if you scrapped it enough with your fingernail you could make a mark or scratch off little white flaky bits. But it could stand up to a lot and it was really hard to break.

The polystyrene (?) model plastic would give a little "tink" sound when you clink them together, whereas the dinosaur plastic (which often had a kind of waxy, crayon smell to it when new or heated up) made a dull kind of "thud" noise if you hit them together.

These seem to be, from the demos we've seen so far of the Dwarf figure, to be very similar if not the same as the material used for the Reaper Bones (not the "Dark Heaven Legends" which is metal, or the harder plastic "Black" which is a bit closer to the dinosaur plastic above), a hard rubber-like polymer plastic. Capable of a lot of detail, and very hard to deform without tools (and can be boiled in water to soften but it doesn't melt it).

I have no idea what they are actually using, this beige stuff we see, but I imagine "breakage" is the least of our worries. If its what I think it is, then it will require a knife to modify, or a really determined child (or dog) to chew parts off of it. Bends would be more a worry than breaks. I'm guessing of course they're prototyping in the same material, but that's still just a guess. Metal looks cool and it can be more detailed and I have never actually used these type of miniatures (though I have some cheap pewter toys from my youth somewhere). From what I've read they are great for display, and require priming and all of the usual fussing that collector hobbyists love, but are more prone to breakage (especially thin bits and glued parts) just from clanking around or being dropped.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but "it's going to break, oh no" is not my thought here. Yes, the classic design looks better, but that's mostly nostalgia talking. At this stage I'd be shocked if they changed the designs, but they still have time, since they haven't gone into full production and are still doing "not final" prototypes. Why bother showing us this if it's already 100%?

So yeah, the skeletons should be "naked" no need to have any extra gear piled on. Are they afraid they'll be too bendy without the added bulk? A creative sculpt could still be done around the sickle so it has support. I don't like the thick round base, as I've said before.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Shadzar » March 19th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:I'm no chemist (or alchemist) but I think the popular plastic choice for model kits in the past is called polystyrene (someone please correct me).

Resin is fragile and brittle depending on the amount of curing it goes through with its part A and part B.

Polystyrene is all old GW models that are injection molded on sprue trees.

Plasticine, like play dough, but more solid at times depending on if i is cured like clay is more rubbery. it is what the Wallace and Grommit animated shows were made from. sort of like Silly Putty in how rubbery it is.

I am thining of taking 1 of each and molding them and making molds for them to make extras out of plaster, and "edit" the furniture a bit. Since they will all be plastic to begin with, then it shouldnt be too hard off-topic get a mold made out of RTV silicone and then make copies for spares.

Maybe even mold a few in aluminum for the figures... jsut depends on the quality of what they are and how much punishment they an take.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » March 19th, 2021, 4:43 pm

From the shine on there I'm guessing it's either polymer resin like I said, or perhaps it could be the "dinosaur plastic" that is closer to what Reaper Bones Black uses (more rigid, but can bend without doing the flex/snap off like the polystyrene).

Then again it could just be some lightning trick. Hard to tell just from photos. I don't picture these appearing on sprues. I bet they will be all one piece or if there are two pieces, they will be epoxy-glued together in box. The bases are integral, so no question about needing to cut them off as opposed to trying to loosen some glue.

Since the Fimirs and Chaos Warriors I want to use aren't available in plastic in the right scale, I'll probably just have them 3d Printed. Then again haven't decided if I'm keeping the set or gifting it out.

Then again maybe I could tweak it a bit THEN give it away. ;) Let that person GM the new quest and I'll play them with my classic set (we will be out of pandemic mode by then, so maybe in person).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » March 19th, 2021, 9:18 pm

The scale of standard D&D minis is 28mm (average human height) with 25mm bases, and I think that's what they're using as the basis for this. HQ minis are also 28mm, though with 24x22 rectangular bases. (Almost slightly hexagonal the way they're molded.)

I'm legally blind and I expect painting is probably beyond my ability, so I probably won't be modifying my figs at all. Not unless I can suddenly afford to commission someone to paint them all for me.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Shadzar » April 3rd, 2021, 12:57 am

https://twitter.com/heroquest/status/1377634317178974218

Really don't care for the way this person is painting most of the figures, but the mummy looks nice, as does the fireplace furniture.

Though with 3-D furniture i sort of want a removable fire so i can replace it with an LED configuration.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Pancho » April 3rd, 2021, 3:05 am

In my opinion the furniture is the best thing about new Heroquest. I look forward to seeing more painted examples.
That mummy looks good too.

The orc though is, frankly, awful. The route Hasbro decided to go down with the orcs is what ultimately stopped me from backing this. I think I made that decision even before the infantilism of the orc bard and the other bonus figures was made known to us.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » April 3rd, 2021, 7:16 am

I mostly wanted the 1” squares board and the 3d versions of the furniture. Basically the rest of the game is Ebay fodder.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion