• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest on Roll20

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

HeroQuest on Roll20

Postby washi » August 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm

First of all, sorry if I'm posting on the wrong place...

I recently started using Roll20 to play a RPG and I noticed that with a little work, I could adapt HeroQuest there. I uploaded board and furniture images, created tokens and character sheets for monsters and heroes and programmed card and dice decks.

Here are some images with the result.

Quest 1 after resolution (I added some tokens just to print the screen)

Quests 1 to 6 recreated

Example of exploration. Only lighter areas are viewed by players

What players see

Selecting the token, Life, Attack and Defense are showed, as well as actions on screen top (Move, Attack, Defend, Disarm Traps...).
Clicking on each actions get the dice rolled.

Example of move, attack and defense rolls.

Wizard Line of Sight

A Treasure Card drawed

Character Sheet. I didn't created this, it already exist on Roll20 library

On the right side there is the macros I created to roll dice

This could be much better but I've tested 5 quest so far and it's been really cool to play with my friends.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: Português (Brasil)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest on Roll20

Postby washi » September 5th, 2020, 11:40 am

Uhn... it seems that you didn't like it very much. Hahaha

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 18th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Don't like it? I love it! I think if it was a functional way to play HQ together online, some of us would love to try it, if not use it regularly.

It's a cool idea! Most of the digital versions of HQ out there are single player, or "hotseat" style games, not interactive multiplayer online editions like this.

Will it also be in English? What ruleset (NA/EU)?

Can you add homebrew items like the Combat Cards or the official Expansions? This looks like a lot of work, but if you can pull it off, would be cool to try. So far I've just been playing using a webcam and all my stuff, but if you don't have a complete set, this would be a nice option too.

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, but all the best of luck on this!
Last edited by Kurgan on September 18th, 2020, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby washi » September 18th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Kurgan wrote:Don't like it? I love it! I think if it was a functional way to play HQ together online, some of us would love to try it, if not use it regularly.

It's a cool idea! Most of the digital versions of HQ out there are single player, or "hotseat" style games, not interactive multiplayer online editions like this.

Can you add homebrew items like the Combat Cards or the official Expansions? This looks like a lot of work, but if you can pull it off, would be cool to try. So far I've just been playing using a webcam, but if you don't have a complete set, this would be a nice option too.

It take some time but I believe I did all in one day. Basically I can load whatever I want, even custom or modular boards.
I only created in portuguese to play with my friends but would be possible on any language. Would be necessary to load new card images. I'm using free Roll20 account that limit files at 100MB. This wasn't a problem because HeroQuest files spent half of this I believe (I need to check to be sure).

About custom cards, furniture, monsters and other it is really easy. If I want a new Artifact I just upload a new image and insert on Artifact deck (I already created all game decks with Game System Cards). For all special characters as Sir Ragnar, Grak, Ulag, etc I uploaded a special token to differentiate from the other monsters, for example.

I do have the game but I don't like the idea of everyone just watching and saying where they move and I, alone with the board, doing the movements. There is really emotion on dice rolling and moments that they are moving and I scream "Stop! You fall on a pit!, hahahaha.

Unfortunatelly I don't know how to share what I made, to make easier to others just adapt. I can take a look to discover if there is a way. There are a lot to improve but it is working surprisely well until now. We already played 7 Quests.

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby washi » September 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Kurgan wrote:Don't like it? I love it! I think if it was a functional way to play HQ together online, some of us would love to try it, if not use it regularly.

Can you add homebrew items like the Combat Cards or the official Expansions? This looks like a lot of work, but if you can pull it off, would be cool to try. So far I've just been playing using a webcam, but if you don't have a complete set, this would be a nice option too.

And thank you for the compliments.
About rules, I'm using NA, that is the same of Brazilian game.

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 18th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Sounds great. How are you going to handle Treasure searches? Also, will a "dead" Hero be able to revive with a unused healing spell (if not action yet on the turn) or potion? Because one of the versions I played didn't allow that, totally changes the dynamic.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby washi » September 18th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Kurgan wrote:Sounds great. How are you going to handle Treasure searches? Also, will a "dead" Hero be able to revive with a unused healing spell (if not action yet on the turn) or potion? Because one of the versions I played didn't allow that, totally changes the dynamic.

I've created in a way that many things are mannualy (on purpose), like reveal map, move and draw cards, for example. So, there is nothing that controls if the player moved only what he could, for example. It is exactly like de presential game: you pick your character and move to the square you want. If you count the squares wrong and Master didn't notice the move will be made wrongly

Treasure search, for example, works as following: The hero says he wants to search. If the room has a predetermined treasure I say and he write on sheet, else he click on Treasury Deck, take one card and put on table. Everyone see and we apply the effect (write gold on sheet, reduce damage, put wandering monster, etc).

Summing up, I just programmed what is "programmed in real world", that is dice and decks. I also mount all board with all furniture and monster previously but heroes only see them when I reveal. All the rest is exactly as playing the real game, that was what I want for the experience. Everything is possible, just like in real game.

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Azure » September 18th, 2020, 5:32 pm

@Kurgan
@Washi

It may be true that most of the digital versions of HQ are hotseat... but I do play HQ on Table-Top Simulator, and it requires each player to also have TTS on their computer.

Each player controls their own character, and each player has their own 1st person camera vision. We all see the same boardgame from 5 different angles. We can also see it from the exact same angle if we position our cameras in a good way.

With TTS, it's fully multiplayer, fully interactive.

I can show you guys if you need. It's really fun and super functional. TTS can cost 20-25 US Dollars. It often goes for half the price when Steam is doing a sales promo.
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Azure » September 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

I am impressed with the Roll20 presentation. It looks beautiful.
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby washi » September 18th, 2020, 5:52 pm

TTS was my first idea but everyone would have to buy and I knew that my friends would not pay. Even more so with Brazil's currently devalued currency, which makes it much more expensive. So I did myself, hahaha

Rewards:
washi

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion