• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Need some help

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Need some help

Postby Pancho » December 2nd, 2019, 4:00 pm

If I remember correctly, Pheonix’s version of one of the quests in the Elf pack was also missing a crucial door.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » December 3rd, 2019, 4:19 pm

I looked over the Frozen Horror section, there's no critical errors. Only in Quest 9 and 10 is there a minor catch: Map marker F (the room with the Frozen Horror) of Quest 9 is in the quest notes under Quest 10.

I understand that these 2 quests are connected, but from an efficiency standpoint it would be more convenient if they were on the same page.

Also there's a pointless exit door in quest 9. This is true to the original, but if the quest ends immediately after the Frozen Horror is defeated, the heroes won't really have to cross the Frozen River again to get there.

Also, just a suggestion for the sake of convenience, you can copy and paste the Ice Chasm notes of quest 4 into Quests 6 and 8 so you won't need to constantly revert back to it.
The same applies to the monster fog room in quests 7 and 9.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Hendar23 » December 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

wallydubbs wrote:I looked over the Frozen Horror section, there's no critical errors. Only in Quest 9 and 10 is there a minor catch: Map marker F (the room with the Frozen Horror) of Quest 9 is in the quest notes under Quest 10.

I understand that these 2 quests are connected, but from an efficiency standpoint it would be more convenient if they were on the same page.

Also there's a pointless exit door in quest 9. This is true to the original, but if the quest ends immediately after the Frozen Horror is defeated, the heroes won't really have to cross the Frozen River again to get there.

Also, just a suggestion for the sake of convenience, you can copy and paste the Ice Chasm notes of quest 4 into Quests 6 and 8 so you won't need to constantly revert back to it.
The same applies to the monster fog room in quests 7 and 9.

Thanks for checking again. For the Frozen Horror, when it is in book form those two pages will be side by side and so should look neater. I didn't want to cram too much on one page. Same reason I don't repeat the Ice Chasm rules. I did originally have it reapeated in each quest but the writing has to be made too small to do it. The text is size 7.5 as it is. The other option I suppose would be to spread more quests over two pages.....hmm....
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » December 4th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I finished looking over Mage of the Mirror in your compendium, first off I'd like to say Nice job on correcting some of the errors: the reward of Quest 1 (Elven Bracers instead of Elven chain mail, and Quest 7's unmarked chest). Good save on your part.

There were a few errors on your part, though:
In Quest 3 Terrellia's Maze, you're missing marker F on the quest map, should be in the room with the chest and 2 goblins.
Also under quest note E, the word "they" should be replaced with "he" or "she" depending which Elf you play with.

In Quest 6 Tormuk's Guests you're missing Marker D on the quest map.

In the Hidden Realms quest notes E and F are put with Quest 10 despite being with the Quest 9 board. I guess it really doesn't matter though, you can practically fit bot these maps on the same board (just move the top wall tile over 1 space).

It's not an error on your part, but Quest 4 and 10 have Falling block traps that could potentially trap a hero forever, again, it's up to you on how to play this.
There's also an unmarked chest in Quest 1, in the room with the orc, Fire Place and Throne; just a suggestion that you put 2 Potions of Healing (+4BP) and a Potion of Defense in there.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Hendar23 » December 5th, 2019, 2:02 pm

wallydubbs wrote:I finished looking over Mage of the Mirror in your compendium, first off I'd like to say Nice job on correcting some of the errors: the reward of Quest 1 (Elven Bracers instead of Elven chain mail, and Quest 7's unmarked chest). Good save on your part.

There were a few errors on your part, though:
In Quest 3 Terrellia's Maze, you're missing marker F on the quest map, should be in the room with the chest and 2 goblins.
Also under quest note E, the word "they" should be replaced with "he" or "she" depending which Elf you play with.

In Quest 6 Tormuk's Guests you're missing Marker D on the quest map.

In the Hidden Realms quest notes E and F are put with Quest 10 despite being with the Quest 9 board. I guess it really doesn't matter though, you can practically fit bot these maps on the same board (just move the top wall tile over 1 space).

It's not an error on your part, but Quest 4 and 10 have Falling block traps that could potentially trap a hero forever, again, it's up to you on how to play this.
There's also an unmarked chest in Quest 1, in the room with the orc, Fire Place and Throne; just a suggestion that you put 2 Potions of Healing (+4BP) and a Potion of Defense in there.

Thanks good catches. The Elf and Barbarian quest packs really do suck eh? I wish they were not canon and I could just leave them out <sigh>.

The stuff with the quest notes on quest 9 and 10 are intentional. I see them as one Quest, just spread over two maps like the Dark Company etc. I'l arrange it so when the book is printed they will apear as one double page spread if that makes sense.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » December 6th, 2019, 10:11 am

Hendar23 wrote:The Elf and Barbarian quest packs really do suck eh? I wish they were not canon and I could just leave them out <sigh>.

Yeah, there's a lot of bugs in them, but the Barbarian quest pack is clearly the most difficult. Although the solo quests are nearly impossible, the group quests are tough but with a little bit of editing they can be both challenging and fun.
Although I understand the desire to play it canonically correct, and despite these quests not being playtested, the instructions DO allow the Morcar/Zargon player to make whatever adjustments he sees fit, so you wouldn't be breaking any rules.

I do like the artifact cards these quest packs have to offer. In general they can be very useful, however the Frozen Horror artifacts are only useful in the Frozen Horror quests, while the Mage of the Mirror artifacts aren't pertinent and would be more useful in Wizards of Morcar or Against the Ogre Horde.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Hendar23 » December 15th, 2019, 5:18 am

New version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6hv1zstclocw ... 6.pdf?dl=0

Added more stand alone Quests. Work has slowed some due to the time of year but the end is in sight.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby ajjohnsen » December 19th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hendar23 this is excellent work! Having all of these in one spot is perfect and my plan is to make a custom quest book with everything you've compiled. Have you tried anything similar yourself, or are you still in the "online compilation" phase? I'd be curious as to how such a large book would work or if you'd suggest having multiple? Thanks again for your work on this topic!

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Hendar23 » December 21st, 2019, 4:26 am

ajjohnsen wrote:Hendar23 this is excellent work! Having all of these in one spot is perfect and my plan is to make a custom quest book with everything you've compiled. Have you tried anything similar yourself, or are you still in the "online compilation" phase? I'd be curious as to how such a large book would work or if you'd suggest having multiple? Thanks again for your work on this topic!

Thanks it has been a lot more work than I thought it would be! Yes my plan is to have it professionally printed as a one hardback book when it is completed if that is what you mean.

I just need to add a couple more quests and and appendicies and it is done, though I keep thinking I should add the rules as well. The rules do suffer from the same problem as the Quests, there are different offical versions out there, and also there are community house rules that are so popular and sensible that they might as well be official.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Hendar23 » January 4th, 2020, 3:46 am

With regards to changing the maps so heros cannot be trapped forever in rooms by falling block traps.....I just went and actually read the rules for searching for falling block traps again. It says when found they are placed on the board immediatley, and a dwarf or someone with a tool kit can remove them!!!!!!! So falling block traps can simply be removed.

I might have to go back and change all those maps back :(
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion