• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What order should the quest packs be played?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Order of all expansions?

Postby wallydubbs » December 18th, 2022, 10:57 pm

BroccoliRage wrote:[post moved by Lestodante]
I bought the Avalon Hill relaunch and I'm having an absolute blast with it. I've bought all the expansions, and I see that on this very site I can access the UK expansions as well.

So my question is, what is the order of the expansions? It seems to me that Keller's Keep immediately follows the core game quest book, whiich is followed by Return of The Witch Lord and then the Frozen Horror. But where do the UK expansions fit in? Is there an order, or can I do it however I like?

The European expansions follow Return of the Witch Lord. Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror do not specify.

So here's the sequence to which I'd play:
1.) Game System
2.) Keller's Keep
3.) Return of the Witch Lord
4.) Against the Ogre Hoard
5.) Wizard's of Morcar
(If you've reached Champion Status you can download the Wizard's of Zargon expansion, which is just the North American conversion to #5)
6.) Frozen Horror
7.) Mage of the Mirror
8.) Dark Company (Advanced Quest)

It has yet to be determined where the Prophecy of Telor, Spirit Queen's Torment and Crypt of Perpetual Darkness should be played.

Spirit Queen's Torment doesn't really make sense or have the same understanding flow compared to the other expansions. You could probably fit Prophecy of Telor in after Return of the Witch Lord. The first Quest of Crypt of Perpetual Darkness didn't make much sense either, so I haven't had the heart to look into it. It just made me sad that the same passion for the game wasn't carried over into the remake.
But you're allowed to add these in or switch them all up to whichever way you see fit.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What order should the quest packs be played?

Postby lestodante » December 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm

I like the idea some questpacks may not have any specific time in which they must be placed. When Heroes progress with the expansions they became stronger and richer, so they can buy better equipment and more potions.
To contrast this, there are more monsters, stronger ones. So it can result in just rolling more dice for both Heroes and monsters.
This is why sometimes I prefer to "reset the game" and Heroes' stats (as if they are different heroes) and let them begin another quest with their starting values. There must just be different stuff to find and use and a nice story.
An example is the Japanese questbook; it is not related to the original 14 quests from the game-system and take place in a different land.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 20th, 2022, 11:31 am

lestodante wrote:I like the idea some questpacks may not have any specific time in which they must be placed. When Heroes progress with the expansions they became stronger and richer, so they can buy better equipment and more potions.
To contrast this, there are more monsters, stronger ones. So it can result in just rolling more dice for both Heroes and monsters.
This is why sometimes I prefer to "reset the game" and Heroes' stats (as if they are different heroes) and let them begin another quest with their starting values. There must just be different stuff to find and use and a nice story.
An example is the Japanese questbook; it is not related to the original 14 quests from the game-system and take place in a different land.

Well, I know you're in Europe so I'm not sure how much of the remake is readily available to you, but your suggestion carries on plausibly: after completing the first 14 Quests with the 4 traditional heroes, you COULD move onto a different expansion with a Female Barbarian, Male Elf, Druid and a Demonically Possessed Halfling.
There are similar and new characters included in the Mythic Tier remake, so you have the freedom to mix and match if you wish. I might be a little prejudice against a singing orc and such, but if you could get these characters to work for you have at it.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Jimish21 » December 29th, 2022, 9:33 am

The fundamental HeroQuest Game System's original quest book is finally coming to a close, and I'm thinking which of the new quest books I should play through next (from the 2 expansions & 3 new quest books in the Mythic Tier box set)
Jimish21

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » December 29th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Jimish21 wrote:The fundamental HeroQuest Game System's original quest book is finally coming to a close, and I'm thinking which of the new quest books I should play through next (from the 2 expansions & 3 new quest books in the Mythic Tier box set)

Well thematically speaking, at the end of the Game System quest pack the Emperor is left in grave danger, so in the profession of storyline, I'd say Keller's Keep.

I don't really care for the Spirit Queen's Torment, so I'd suggest the Prophecy of Telor after that. Witch Lord can wait.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » December 29th, 2022, 3:35 pm

no doubt, you have to go on with Kellar's Keep!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 29th, 2022, 6:41 pm

The Emperor will have to hold out for now... the Witch Lord is too great a threat to ignore! Yeah it kind of makes sense the other way, and ROTWL is a better pack overall in my humble opinion but you do what works in your gaming group. For better or worse, we played ROTWL before KK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 30th, 2022, 12:49 pm

KK and ROTWL packs have epilogues tied together. Both of them can be the intro to the other quest pack.
I know KK is more like an Orc-party-killer but I prefer to play KK first for some reasons:
It was released before the ROTWL;
I guess saving the Emperor is prioritary;
While playing KK, the WL have the chance to recover his strength and come back!

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 30th, 2022, 1:13 pm

The endings would need to be modified if you play them the other way. Otherwise who is celebrating with you at the end of KK if he's actually stuck in the stronghold with his troops? Good point. (save the party until you've actually rescued him... or else who is that in the banquet hall, a shapeshifter??)

Of course if you choose to play ROTWL first, you could just leave out the text (from the GS quest 14 epilogue) about the Emperor being under siege until after you complete that quest. Say a little time goes by and he's been trapped. Maybe he went back to the front after the party to reinforce his troops and fell into an ambush, then was forced to flee into Karak Varn? (Kabba Karn in the remake!)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » December 30th, 2022, 10:38 pm

I agree with lestodante. I see more clear reasons to play KK before ROTWL.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion