• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

One-shot kill on Sinestra

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: One-shot kill on Sinestra

Postby hightechartist » September 29th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Before you go changing and rules, note that you still need line-of-sight to attack with the BoV. Sinestra has the Sorcerer's Table furniture in front of her, and the rules aren't entirely clear on whether or not that blocks LOS, but also the other monsters in the room block it too. So you can't just open the door and shoot Sinestra. If the Evil Wizard is smart, he can make it impossible to attack Sinnestra until enough of her minions are destroyed.
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 29th, 2019, 11:04 pm

I haven't played this expansion yet, but I've noticed they give caster boss types a summon minions spell so they can act as meat shields or line of sight blockers.
I'm still not sure if I will reveal stats of bosses yet after the game system. I think it removes a lot of the surprise. For sure you don't reveal spells they can cast because it provides the heroes with too much strategy.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » September 30th, 2019, 6:17 am

This bow may kill any Monster i.e. all regular monsters whose stats are printed on a Monster Card.
Sinestra is not a monster; she's the enemy boss, an elven archmage with hidden stats.
It's up to DM what to do with an arrow against her.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » September 30th, 2019, 10:02 am

hightechartist wrote:Before you go changing and rules, note that you still need line-of-sight to attack with the BoV. Sinestra has the Sorcerer's Table furniture in front of her, and the rules aren't entirely clear on whether or not that blocks LOS, but also the other monsters in the room block it too. So you can't just open the door and shoot Sinestra. If the Evil Wizard is smart, he can make it impossible to attack Sinnestra until enough of her minions are destroyed.

The monsters in that room aren't realistically going to be able to block a kill shot in my opinion. That one Ogre can be side-stepped for a free shot on the Boss before any of the other monsters can even move. And I can't suddenly introduce the rule that tables block line of sight, after so many quests where they didn't. I estimate that Sinestra will last only one turn, maybe two if the Hero with the Bow gets distracted somehow. If she last two turns she might be able to cast Summon Wolves, thereby blocking LoS and surviving for one more turn, but that's really pushing it against a skilled team of Heroes (and we have to assume they know their business if they got this far).
I can see this fight as being very anti-climactic if a change isn't made. It's no secret that the US expansions require rule changes to fix them (I'm looking at you Yeti's). I see Sinestra and the Bow of Vindication as being another one of the major issues.

Does anybody play the rule that tables block line-of-sight? We never have but it could be a good addition.
Does anybody else rule like Sotiris that bosses aren't monsters? I've never heard that before.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 30th, 2019, 11:27 am

No, for me Tables never block line of sight against an enemy... I suppose they could if there's a pit trap on the other side of it, but generally a trap search in a room counts for the entire room.

I suppose there's some way to make that huge Mirror wall tile more interactive in the game... have it shoot down any projectiles that cross the 8-pointed star carpet... this would be changing the rules a little bit, but it would make the final battle that much tougher.

Upon reading over the artifact card again, it doesn't quite specify: it says the monster needs 1 black shield to avoid being killed, does this mean the target of the EBoV can only roll 1 dice in defense or do they get to defend with their normal amount?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 30th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I would take it as rolling normal dice, otherwise why specify “1” Black Shield.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 30th, 2019, 12:15 pm

We play that no tables block los. I think the best suggestion was that it only effects monsters with a card so it's still great v 10 BP ogres.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Sotiris wrote:This bow may kill any Monster i.e. all regular monsters whose stats are printed on a Monster Card.
Sinestra is not a monster; she's the enemy boss, an elven archmage with hidden stats.
It's up to DM what to do with an arrow against her.

I like this. Also, I like how you stay that she is a boss with hidden stats. I am thinking about just swapping to this for any named creature because it increases the difficulty and gives them more longevity to actually be special. If you tell the players the boss stats, they know not to, for example, bother casting sleep because the mind points are too high.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » September 30th, 2019, 3:56 pm

This thread blossomed back into life after I thought it was done. It’s made me think that if 100 of us played this quest, there would be 100 different rules used.

Does a table block line of sight? - not clear
Is Sinestra a monster? - not clear
Does she roll all her defence dice against the Bow, or just one - not clear

And so on. Such confusion :roll:

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 30th, 2019, 7:31 pm

I'll let you know when we get to this quest pack. We are doing quest 14 on Sunday :) (my first time playing whole way thru)
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Mage of the Mirror