• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Reworking Wall of Ice, of Flame and Stone

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: Reworking Wall of Ice, of Flame and Stone

Postby Daedalus » October 3rd, 2021, 6:26 am

This is how I've always thought of it:

Wall of Stone = earth
Wall of Fire = fire
Wall of Ice = (frozen) water

. . . so here's two options pulled out of thin air:

Wall of Vapor

The Sorcerer forms an opaque
wall of noxious gas that covers
two squares. A figure moving
through this cloud must roll one
combat die for each of his Mind
points at once or on future turns.
Until a black shield is rolled, the
victim repeats all combat rolls,
accepting the worse result.

Wall of Wind

The Sorcerer creates powerful
winds that cover two squares.
This wall blocks all weapons but
doesn't stop spells. Any figure
trying to pass out of these winds
must first roll one combat die
for each of his Body Points.
Unless a black shield is rolled,
his turn immediately ends.

These ideas aren't playtested, but either could be nerfed by switching black shields to white for the cancelation roll. Either appears to fit as a Storm Master spell, though Wall of Wind also works as a Protection spell and Wall of Vapor could instead be a High Mage spell.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » October 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am

Daedalus wrote:This is how I've always thought of it:

Wall of Stone = earth
Wall of Fire = fire
Wall of Ice = (frozen) water

Yes, effectively I noticed right after I posted it. It is ICE, not Water or Air (or maybe a combination of both?)
So I would go with the Wall of Wind. It is also faster to play with, as with the other one has you must take in mind every turn about the malus given by the vapors.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 3rd, 2021, 11:09 am

Faster play is a strong advantage. Also, It feels more like an Air Bender power, which certainly fits the Air spell set. Originally, I had worked up a wall spell that functioned similarly to a hurricane trap, until I realized I had basically ramped up the Hurricane spell.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 4th, 2021, 3:19 am

Daedalus wrote:
Wall of Stone

You may create a solid wall of
stone which covers two squares.
This wall has three Body points
and rolls six defence dice. Keep
this card to hand until the wall
is destroyed, then discarded it.

I wonder if 3 BP is too much protection for the Wizard. He gets to roll white shields for defense, while a Sorcerer casting Wall of Ice just rolls black shields--the solid nature of stone is already figured in with this discrepancy. To keep Wall of Stone closer in line with Rock Skin, I'd leave the spell unchanged. However, if your looking for a boost, 2 Body points should be enough relative to Wall of Ice. Why not give Morcar a chance?

Looks like I should have known better. From another thread:

Daedalus wrote:Just checked the Wizards of Morcar, p.5 and found the answer to my own question. It instructs to use white shields to defend for magical barriers, including the Wall of Fire and Wall of Stone spells.

Wall of Ice is also included as a magical barrier, so my bad.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » January 28th, 2022, 3:42 am

These are creative. I'm not sure what I will do about these yet. I typically just play as is, but I agree, they all do the same thing makes them a little pointless to have the variety.

One of the weird things about HeroQuest is how many peculiar objects you would expect to do something don't actually do anything. E.g. Against the Ogre Horde has the rug and the Eye of Horus/All-Seeing Eye in a room. And it's there for decoration. The bookcases are there for decoration. The torture chamber is there for decoration. The weapon rack is there for decoration. The throne is there for decoration. Perhaps the flavors of the walls are also there for decoration.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 28th, 2022, 1:39 pm

you're right, but an Italian proverb says "Even the eye wants its part". It means, apparence matters.
Imagine your Heroquest with all grey tiles, all grey miniatures and no furnitures at all. It would have not been the same game.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Wizards of Morcar