• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Future Sight

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: Future Sight

Postby wallydubbs » January 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

lestodante wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Courage and Rock Skin only last for one turn in Europe; but the North American cards are conditional, allowing these spells to last longer, much like the Elven spell "Double Image." I find Spells of Darkness pretty well balanced by American standards;

That's not correct. In 1989 first release they last only 1 turn. But on the 2nd release (1990) they edited many cards, so Courage last until you can see monsters and Rock Skin until the hero suffers a damage. NA version use the same descriptions of the second EUR version wich is (of course) much better than the previous one.

Oh... is that so? I bought a copy of HeroQuest Advanced Quest and Keller's Keep on E bay a couple months back, from Europe for only $120. I thought it was a helluva deal even though I already had the game system and Keller's Keep. This Advanced European version has the Courage and Rock Skin spell cards that only last for 1 turn... I guess I must have one of the first versions...

Yet I do recall a post I believe you made regarding Fire of Wrath, where it originally was used to destroy a piece of furniture. I thought this was from the first version, yet it's not part of this Advanced Quest.

Just the same, I'd like to make the expansion spells more formidable compared to the rest of them, and I do respect your opinion leste, any suggestions?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » January 29th, 2019, 6:40 pm

because many sellers have incomplete boxes or spares and mix the parts to make a complete set. But they probably mixed 1989 and 1990 pieces together.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 30th, 2019, 12:46 am

wallydubbs wrote:Yet I do recall a post I believe you made regarding Fire of Wrath, where it originally was used to destroy a piece of furniture. I thought this was from the first version

There's a good chance that Fire of Wrath was only in the commercial. Some people notice that the text on the card is different when he plays it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 30th, 2019, 3:28 am

The title is different, too: "Foire of Roth"
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby kyrrahn » May 2nd, 2019, 11:15 pm

wallydubbs wrote:It also seems that Spells of Detection are rather weak in regards to other spells...

Does anyone else think Future Sight, through North American adoption at least, should last longer; probably until there are no more monsters in the hero's line of sight?.

That would make it broken. Imagine a hero with Courage, Rock Skin, Double Image and extended Future Sight.
Future Sight is a fantastic card if used properly, especially if cast on a suitably armed hero. Due to it ending on the spellcaster's turn I've seen it paired with Timestop to great effect.
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » January 28th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Attack, defense, or movement dice rolls.

I have ruled in Against the Ogre Horde that Mind Lock reduces 'other attacks' (other than mind attacks) to 1 defense die. This way Festral and psychic/mind chaos sorcerers can't obliterate the player on the next attack with a Mind Blast just because they landed a Mind Lock (although, if they just Mind Blast twice, it will have the same effect as player death in most cases). I wouldn't allow it to reroll mental saves, such as to break a spell. That is a specific instance doesn't apply to the intent of the spell, and I like strategy to deal with spells. If they cast Future Sight, I can land a crowd control spell to counter it. Flavor wise, Future Sight doesn't always predict everything clearly--there are multiple paths :)

Of course, other Morcars can decide to buff up the spell to make this set more appealing for players, if that works for you. At this point, we're all houseruling and making executive decisions, even me, a by-the-book type of person, for some of the unclear rules in these expansions (luckily I have played enough Wiz War and D&D to figure this out). I don't see it making a huge difference either way in gameplay. If you want it to be an easier game, go with the more liberal interpretation. My players need more difficulty, so we go with the more restrictive interpretation.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Wizards of Morcar