• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Treasure Horde

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: Treasure Horde

Postby Gold Bearer » February 16th, 2016, 5:45 pm

slev wrote:I recall GoldBearer mooting "draw 3, resolve 2, reshuffle all Hazards".
I upgraded all the WoM spells. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3280 Needs editing now though, my invisibility is really overpowered if it can be cast on other targets. I'll do it tomorrow.

cynthialee wrote:If thrown away, I would replace with a damage dealing spell of some form. Never can have too many damage dealing spells on hand.
It's from the detection set so it definitely shouldn't be replaced with an attack spell.

cynthialee wrote:Or...
After Casting this spell the caster will know the general direction of the largest treasure in the dungeon and the EWP will tell the player once per turn on the players turn what direction the treasure is. A smart player will be able to triangulate the approximate location in 2 or 3 turns. But the way some dungeons are laid out it won't be much help is some places.
Now this would have to be worked into the game by the EWP before hand I figure, with a predetermined treasure.
That's a nice idea. I'd just tell them the direction once though when they cast it and use the highest value listed treasure instead of a predetermined one, otherwise it would be useless if they've already found it.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » February 16th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Oh I must disagree whole heartedly!
If I have visions and foresight I can kill you very easy.
I know the second you turn and expose your flank. I saw it months ago in a dream and the 3 Fates favor me.

Spell
Foresight of Combat
This Spell enables the Caster to see the weakness in their next enemy and thus strike them down.
When cast the spell caster may add 3 combat dice to the next physical attack made against an enemy.

or a more nasty version:
The Spell Caster may add their current Mind Skill in combat dice to their next combat strike.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 16th, 2016, 7:25 pm

It does make sense but I was thinking more generally, like the three fire spells could be healing flame, phoenix fire to resurrect and shield of fire, and earth could be assault of stone, cave in and er, boulder but the general theme of the fire spells is offensive magic and earth is defensive magic. I think an attacking spell would be out of place in the detection set because it would make it just as offensive as darkness.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » June 17th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Assuming you stick with RAW, wouldn't a way around making detection a risk for the wizard be giving detection to the elf? I know the quest books says either can take the spells, though most people houserule it for wizard only because the elf has his own.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby WiseOne » January 10th, 2018, 2:57 am

My home games we play with all kinds of weird variants including the idea of an Elf Mage who can take 3 elf spells as a spell group so the idea of the elf using one of the wizard spell groups isn't crazy. And if using an advancement system like I do, you could have a barbarian variant like the warrior/superhero from the old Dungeon games who would fight the toughest monsters in the deepest levels and give him one use of Treasure Hoard. He takes on the big challenge and see what happens.

That gives me also an idea of just using this spell effect in a "hoard room" with 3 treasure chests that all spring open simultaneously...
WiseOne

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 23rd, 2018, 6:44 pm

I'm glad I rediscovered this thread, as I had only been referencing the Wizards of Zargon spell cards from the Inn and wasn't aware of any interpretation issue. The Inn's WoZ Treasure Hoard, Future Sight, and Invisibility all have the fixes mentioned by The Admiral built in with the wording ". . . This spell may be cast on any one Hero, including yourself.. . ." I agree Treasure without Doom would have been a better spell choice.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 1st, 2018, 9:37 am

The first time I playtested the game with my brother and cousins they were highly put off by the fact that there are almost just as many good treasure cards as there are bad ones.
Thanks to drathe posting the expansion cards for KK, RotWL, WoM and FH I picked through them, discarding potion of charm and warmth (until later quests) and upgraded the Treasure deck to 40 cards as opposed to the original 24. The chances of getting good now outweigh the bad: 23 good, 16 bad, 1 Nothing. We played the original with the expansion spell to pick from (from WoM and MotM).

When playing the Great Citidel in Keller's Keep the Wizard had spells of Detection; after the 4 heroes cleared out the hallway of about 12 greenskins and finally entering the locked door and the Barbarian just cleared out the Skeletons, the Wizard had preemptively cast Treasure Hoard on himself. He walks in, using his movement, and searches for Treasure finding gold, a potion of speed and setting off a Magical trap. As the Wizard was the last at the end of the round the Magical Trap was set to go off, both Wizard and Barbarian were down to 2 body points, so rolled 3 skulls, killing them.
However, realizing the peril his friends were in, the Elf cast Flashback spell, letting the Wizard replay his turn. Although it was my turn and past the Wizard, I bent the rules a bit and let it slide, as they had already been through so much I really didn't want them to die (Great Citidel is insanely hard). So all 3 cards returned to the top of the deck and the Wizard held off from searching until everyone could safely clear the room.
It was a close one, but really fun.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 25th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Would you say then playing the Treasure Without Doom card along with the Treasure Horde would let you just keep three "good" cards?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 25th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Kurgan wrote:Would you say then playing the Treasure Without Doom card along with the Treasure Horde would let you just keep three "good" cards?

Absolutely! For the most part Spells of Detection are highly underutilized, but by just simply having the Treasure Without Doom spell scroll gives the Wizard (or Elf) the insentive to pick this spell group to maximize on Treasure Horde (Hoard) draw. I allow it.

Just a side note, as some things are unspecified on other spell cards:
If the Wizard (or Elf) cast Clairvoyance I also identify any traps in that room as well as revealing the next card on the Treasure Deck, should they choose to search that room for Treasure.
I also give Invisibility the benefit that a hero under this spell can move through monsters (Disappear too), and I allow the hero, since he can't attack, to make a search action, even if monsters are preasent.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 4th, 2021, 1:20 am

Many EU players have said they only allow one search for treasure per room (either a noted treasure is found or that character draws a treasure card.) I'd say Treasure Horde can allow the spellcaster to this break this limit as specific text on the cards is designed to supercede general rules. Thus the spellcaster can additionally "search" for treasures in the treasure deck (drawing 3x) when casting this spell.

What if this spell is cast before any treasure search has been attempted by a player character and the room contains treasure from the Quest notes? Seems like the search discovers four treasures!

Since the spellcaster.may possibly become vulnerable to three wandering.monster attacks, he would be wise to stand in a corner shielded by two other player characters, preferably ones who still have a turn coming after his..This would prevent any immediate attacks and possibly eliminate any wandering monsters before their turns.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Wizards of Morcar