• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby wallydubbs » December 4th, 2022, 9:31 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:What about Dust of Disappearance?

Dust of Disappearance is close to the same thing as Veil of Mist, but there's a very thin key difference:
Veil of Mist requires an action (be it by Wizard or Elf) and can be cast on any hero they decide.
Dust of Disappearance does NOT require an action but can only be cast by the hero holding the bag.

In both instances it seems the premise is that the monster can't see the hero and therefore he can sneak past any monster.
The Ogre, being a sizable barrier, would then block the hero.
This is all up to interpretation, of course. Others might view Veil of Mist as the hero magically turning into a misty cloud, and therefore should have the ability to pass through any monster/furniture.
I guess you can view Dust of Disappearance in a similar fashion.

Such a question can also be beckoned when it comes to the Invisibility spell from Wizards of Morcar and Disappear from Mage of the Mirror.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » December 5th, 2022, 2:26 am

I didn't think too hard about it but you're right... that card doesn't specify what "tossing" counts as, so we could assume it's a free action, akin to drinking a potion (rather than casting a spell which is always considered an action unless the card says otherwise). And this was a special item found only in the NA edition which had no Ogre Horde expansion originally...

I guess for me I'm inclined to say that Veil of Mist just works against Ogres like other monsters, and I'd allow the Dust to have the same effect (not for passing through furniture though, I'd just say you can't do that period... unless it was some house rule like my "uncommon feats".. you're going to have to convince me in-game how it works and I'll give you a 50% chance of success once per turn!).

Here I can picture someone coming up with a table of probabilities that different types of Ogre can be fooled or bypassed by magic... maybe based on their mind points?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 6th, 2022, 9:39 am

If the Ogres 'blocking' ability/property is for reasons other than their sheer bulk making it physically impossible to pass, which seems to be the way we are leaning, then the simplest option may just be to drop that 'blocking' property altogether and resolve the issue(s) entirely, after all as it has already pointed out Gargoyles and similar large creatures don't have this property anyway!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 7th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Kurgan wrote:I didn't think too hard about it but you're right... that card doesn't specify what "tossing" counts as, so we could assume it's a free action, akin to drinking a potion (rather than casting a spell which is always considered an action unless the card says otherwise). And this was a special item found only in the NA edition which had no Ogre Horde expansion originally...

I guess for me I'm inclined to say that Veil of Mist just works against Ogres like other monsters, and I'd allow the Dust to have the same effect (not for passing through furniture though, I'd just say you can't do that period... unless it was some house rule like my "uncommon feats".. you're going to have to convince me in-game how it works and I'll give you a 50% chance of success once per turn!).

Here I can picture someone coming up with a table of probabilities that different types of Ogre can be fooled or bypassed by magic... maybe based on their mind points?

Well Anderes hasn't been active in a while. He's your chart guy.but I can give you a comprehensive analysis of all these pass-through spells and how it relates to Ogres.

Veil of Mist generally comes down to 2 viewpoints and it's up to Zargon on how to apply it:
1.) The must is conjured as a cloak so the hero can slip past monsters without being noticed
2.) The hero becomes the must, separating into particles of water and reforming when you stop moving

Most go with the first interpretation, which is fine. But when a Hero is enchanted with Pass Through Rock one can argue the hero becomes one with the stone wall moves through. Either sharing molecules with rock or vibrating beyond stone's natural frequency. So you can really go either way when discussing magic.

Dust of Disappearance alludes to incapacitating the monster's vision of the hero, allowing him to slip by and we get something similar to that Raphael/Foot Soldier/Christmas Tree scene from Ninja Turtles 2 (Secret of the Ooze).
Either way you look at it, passing through a monster is based on their observation of a hero. If the hero becomes the must or is hidden by the mist, either way the monster can't see the hero to stop him.
Therefore the monster's failure to observe the hero allows him to pass by, and this by extension, allows the spells of Invisibility and Disappear to work in similar fashion.
However a hero enchanted with Pass Through Rock can still be hindered by a monster and traps (though a Falling Block Trap could still be triggered, I don't think it should hurt the hero).

Upon saying this though, I realize that Veil of Mist doesn't absolve a hero from triggering them, which a mist wouldn't do. In fact the only one of these spells that saves a hero from traps is Disappear.
Disappear is similar to Invisibility, which only appears to bend light around the hero, so they can't be attacked or have spells cast against them, they can also still perform actions while Invisible (except Attack).
Disappear seems to be as close to incaporeal as you'll get. He doesn't interact with monsters or traps while I under the effects, yet at the same time he can still open doors but not pass through walls. Be that as it may, in the instance of Disappear, where the hero is vibrating on a frequency that is on and off the board, passing through Ogres should be acceptable, at least to me.

There is but 1 other spell that allows heroes to pass through monsters, this would be Skate from the Frozen Horror. This spell seems to encapsulate the effects of Swift Wind and Veil of Mist into one. However, no blinding ability or visual impairment towards a monster is associated with this spell. I assume it's due to the slipperiness of ice, maneuverability of skating and swiftness of the hero that gives it this effect. However, Ogres are not associated with any icy and frozen quests, so arguing the point on this one is meaningless.

We also have the Stealth Skill introduced in favor of the new Rogue character. If we stick to the premise that Ogres are are too big to pass around, the Rogue clearly shouldn't be able to either.

Veil of Mist: can be cast by the Wizard or Elf and allows the recipient of this spell to pass through monsters. He can still trigger traps and can still perform an action. If you're playing that the Ogre is too big, he shouldn't be able to pass through him, but it's already an underused spell so I can understand if you choose to not limit it's effects.

Stealth: can only be performed by the Rogue. He can pass through any monsters he wishes like an permanent Veil of Mist. When it comes to Ogres I don't think he should be able to.

Skate: can be cast by whomever holds the scroll on any hero gives an extra 6 movement while allowing them to pass through monsters. This can only be used in icy caverns. Nothing is noted about traps, so I assume these can be triggered too. Although giving lack of reason the card speaks plainly enough. It's featured in a quest pack that doesn't have any Ogres, but for those who might create such a quest I think Ogres would be an exception.

Pass Through Rock : only works on walls, you wouldn't be able to pass through monsters or ogres unless they are stone based monsters. The hero can still trigger traps, but I feel a falling block trap won't hinder them.

Invisibility: The Wizard can turn any hero invisible, they can't be seen, attacked or have a spell cast against them. So they should be able to sneak past monsters like Veil of Mist. The spell expands into the monster's turn and prevents that hero from being attacked. The hero, on his turn, still has movement and an action except when it comes to attacking. I think the hero, since he cannot be threatened by a monster, should therefore be able to perform normal searches despite monsters being present. This hero can also act as an invisible barrier between a monster and other heroes, choosing to block the monster's path if he chooses, the monster still won't be able to attack, apparently too confused about his situation. Traps can still trigger on an invisible hero, but wandering monsters can't attack. But when it comes to Ogres the hero is not changing anything about himself, light is merely bending around them, so he should not be able to sneak past an Ogre.

Dust of Disappearance: can be tossed by any hero holding the bag, but only on himself, it's a free action that allows the hero to pass through monsters that are oblivious and can only see the dust. The hero may continue his action after moving. In the case of Ogres, I think we're looking at the same space issue.

Disappear: the Elf can cast this on anyone who will vibrate in and out of reality indefinitely. They do not trigger traps and since enemies cannot observe them they can pass through freely. Because they don't trigger traps it's safe to assume they're not completely in this reality and can thus pass through Ogres too. The spell stays active until the hero rolls 9 or higher and he can perform no actions while under this spell's effects. Apparently the hero needs to be in a certain state of mind to keep this spell active.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Against the Ogre Horde