• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Witch Lord is Pale

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

The Witch Lord is Pale

Postby Anderas » August 16th, 2015, 12:34 pm

[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Quests and Quest Packs on 8/27/18. -edit]

I think the Witch Lord trilogy at the end of the Base Game Quest Book in no way presents the great, the horrible Witch Lord in the right way.

There is this great "Boo" moment when he arrives first in Quest 12. This is good.
But then, in Quest 14, he is just so... plain. Nothing special around him.

Look at Balur. He teleports away so the Heroes have to continue searching him.
Look at Karlen. He is... well, at least he did something!
Look at the Weather Man, the Orc Shaman or the others.

Compare to the Witch Lord. Somehow, i think he is not interesting enough.

Did you play Quest 14 exactly as written, or did you think of something interesting, new, different?
Last edited by Daedalus on August 27th, 2018, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Witch Lord is Pale

Postby Goblin-King » August 16th, 2015, 12:55 pm

I buffed him a bit with more BP.
The EU version with him having 1BP is insanely ridiculous.

But yeah, he could still use a little more UMPH!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 16th, 2015, 1:21 pm

In the EuroQuest version of "Return of the Witch Lourde", ol' Witchy could summon one Undead figure per turn, in addition to taking his normal actions.

Additionally, he is carrying the Spell Ring; therefore, the Evil Wizard Player may choose which Chaos Spell he stores in the ring. (The original notes give him two Fears, which is a terrible choice next to Summon Undead.)

Finally, he has a form of Greater Invincibility, by which the only thing that will harm him is the Spirit Blade. All other attempts to cause him harm are null. Although the book doesn't say so, this should include effects such as Tempest and Sleep.

Giving the Witch Lourde all of the above perks should go a fair way towards making him a worthy "Disc One Final Boss" for the base system's Quest Pack.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 19th, 2015, 4:11 am

Really he could summon one undead figure? :D Well, but that would add a bit :)
Also Spell Ring is new, but a superb Idea i might reuse.

The "Greater Invincibility" definitly is inside the EU rules - i will copy and paste it to my questbook for sure.

Thanks!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 19th, 2015, 9:43 am

In the US Base System quest book, when the Witch Lourde is defeated, he disappears in a puff of foul-smelling smoke, and the Heroes hear the tinkling of metal skittering across the floor, which turns out to be the Spell Ring Artifact. It seems logical to assume that ol' Witchy was wearing it at the time. Thus, if he has the Spell Ring, he can use it too! (and he does - the original notes say he may cast Fear "twice", while no other figures with Chaos Spells get multiples until the Ogre Horde)

The exact wording of the summoning ability from Euro Return of the Witch Lourde is as follows:
The Court of the Witch Lourde, EuroQuest version wrote:As well as fighting he is able to summon an evil creature ONCE per turn. On each turn he may randomly pick ONE monster card to see which type of creature he may summon. If there are no available pieces for that monster type, nothing is summoned that turn. The summoned monster must be placed adjacent to the Witch Lord and may move/attack as normal this turn.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 21st, 2015, 2:36 am

So yes, the abilities can be a best of all editions. :D Thanks a lot.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:In the US Base System quest book, when the Witch Lourde is defeated, he disappears in a puff of foul-smelling smoke, and the Heroes hear the tinkling of metal skittering across the floor, which turns out to be the Spell Ring Artifact. It seems logical to assume that ol' Witchy was wearing it at the time. Thus, if he has the Spell Ring, he can use it too! (and he does - the original notes say he may cast Fear "twice", while no other figures with Chaos Spells get multiples until the Ogre Horde).

Technically there is a Fimir in Keller's Keep, Quest 4 Dwarven Forge that can cast the Rust spell 3 times... at least in the American version this is so.

However, I totally agree, let the Witch Lord use the Spell Ring.

This also raises questions about Grak and the Wizard's Cloak, does he get the +1 on top of his 4 defense dice?

I did, however, boost the Witch Lord with extra spells from the expansion quests, such as Mind Freeze, Mind Blast and Reanimation. The last one is critical in terms of difficulty. Imagine playing "Summon Undead" chaos spell, and then after the heroes clear them out the Witch Lord surrounds the heroes by reanimating all the undead the heroes just cleared out.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 4th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I played the +1 for Grak.

If he rolls skeletons, my heroes would laugh and sneeze them down again :/
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 5th, 2019, 4:14 pm

This is full of some fantastic suggestions. I haven't actually gotten that far with my group, but I think I'm going to try to implement some of this.

Thank you all!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 7th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I wouldn't change anything, personally. The NA WL as present in the GS & ROTWL is a tough foe, plus we played through all the other quests to get to him. The only way I'd "enhance" anything of him is if I was playing his quests now with a group of "upgraded" heroes, in which case he would be upgraded too. That is to say while my "elite monster" rules typically only apply to regular monsters (not summoned or wandering monster types) I would give him a potion (as I do other evil bosses) that lets them roll blue dice in defense for the remainder of the quest except when defending against spells.

As for special gear gained from killing a boss monster... if he drops a Wizard's Cloak and rolls 4 would theoretically have only been a "3 dice" guy that gained a +1 by having the artifact. Sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly. Maybe a boss monster drops a 2 dice damage weapon but he wielded it for 3. But maybe the item was damaged or depleted in the battle reducing its effectiveness, or maybe he wielded it more skillfully than the heroes (I apply this rule for the Wizard/Alchemist's staff, where in the hands of a champion or above level Wizard/Alchemist it attacks with 2 black dice, but for anyone else it functions like an ordinary staff). Imagine if the heroes take down some epic bad guy, strip off his armor only to discover it is now full of holes and useless.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Return of the Witch Lord