• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Fire Ring Mechanics

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc from the Kellar's Keep Quest Pack.

Fire Ring Mechanics

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 24th, 2019, 11:11 pm

For the Fire Ring artifact dropped in Quest 4: The Dwarven Forge, it looks like it can only be used to block chaos magic fire spells and not the heat from The Dwaven Forge. That is fine. Since it isn't a spell and is more of a potion(?), I assume the wearer / the one who has the beautiful Fire Ring adorn his finger could still defend normally against Chaos Spell: Fire of Wrath or Chaos Spell: Ball of Flame and if he fails to roll a :roll5: or :roll6: , the Fire Ring could be an option to reduce the damage that hits (if used immediately like a magic shield)? It seems very similar to the Venom Antidote or Anti-Poison Quill--specialized item to reduce certain kinds of damage immediately instead of using a harder-to-get / more expensive panacea potion.

(I imagine it looks pretty and magical, perhaps with a ruby that glows when it stores the fire within it when caught sort of like an item enchanted to absorb a certain kind of magic)
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Fire Ring Mechanics

Postby wallydubbs » November 25th, 2019, 8:27 am

Actually, if I remember correctly, I think in the European version, the ring does protect its wearer from the heat of the forge. It's uncertain why this was left out in the American version. The ring already has little use, but I suppose it'll come in handy if that hero draws a Fireburst trap from the Treasure deck in Wizards of Morcar...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm

the Fire Ring is an artifact from the US version only. there is no Fire Ring in the UK version.
The card explains: "protect the wearer from any 2 CHAOS FIRE SPELL". So the wearer is not protected against the fire coming out from the Forge.
I think it automatically protect the hero, so he doesn't have to roll any die. If a fire spell is cast against the ring wearer, the ring works automatically and the hero will not try to defend at all.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 25th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Huh... odd. Thank you for pointing that out Lesto. I thought I read it somewhere that it protects from the fire in this room. Perhaps I'm thinking of Phoenix's version or something... my bad... again.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » April 30th, 2021, 4:21 pm

The EU players would have to rely on "Potion of Fire Resistance" treasure cards, from WOM if you're using those with KK.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » May 1st, 2021, 7:26 pm

I'd like to take the potion of Fire Resitance and the Fire Ring two separate things, with similar but different effects.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » May 1st, 2021, 8:34 pm

Yeah, EU rules mean turning in your unused potions between quests (ATOH gives you those big restoration potions that last though). NA rules allow hoarding.

I'm assuming the Ring just contains more Red Mithril juice than the potion vial. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Malcadon » August 31st, 2023, 8:59 am

I never liked the idea of Artifacts being "consumable" unless they are a potion or spell scroll, and I consider spell scrolls their own category. I like to treat the Fire Ring like the Ring of Warmth:

Fire Ring
For as long as this powerful ring is warn, it protects the wearer from any fire-based Chaos spells, plus immunity to damage from heat and fire based traps and hazards. This ring cannot be warn with Armband of Ice or Ring of Warmth.

By "heat and fire based traps and hazards", it means the Weapons Forge, Wall of Flames, Door of Flame, Firey Chasm, etc.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 1st, 2023, 9:24 am

We play protection from any type of fire. It has limited use anyway, so the important decision is when to use it.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 1st, 2023, 12:57 pm

One of the tweaks I've made with my game is expanding a treasure deck, which included treasure cards from Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, which includes potions of Magic Resistance, Potion of Magical Aptitude, and Magical (Fireburst) traps, etc.

The Wand of Magic, which is usually found in Quest 8 The Fire Mage, practically negates a Potion of Magical Aptitude, so I put off this artifact to be found in Wizards of Morcar expansion. In so doing I placed the Fire Ring as the artifact going to whomever kills the Fire Mage, which was the Barbarian. That group is in the middle of Keller's Keep, he really hasn't had to use it, so I gave it the added benefit of protection from the Dwarven Forge.

Although he hasn't had to use it yet, a scenario did arise where he could have used it: the Barbarian, Dwarf and Wizard were all in the room, Barbarian had already taken his turn and the Dwarf searched for treasure drawing a Magical Trap from the Treasure deck. For this reason the Elf didn't enter the room. The Barbarian's turn was done, giving the Dwarf and Wizard time to clear out. Barbarian was ok with using the ring, but the Dwarf rolled snake eyes and didn't have enough movement to leave the room. After a brief debate Wizard used Tempest to smother the trap, so Barbarian has yet to use the ring. But just the same, if a Magical Trap comes up or an enemy spellcaster uses Ball of Flame or Firestorm it would negate the effects. I'm not sure what other Chaos/Dread spells would count as "Fire" damage, which, understandably, is probably why it can only be used twice.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Kellar's Keep